U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-15-2011, 05:15 PM
 
1,615 posts, read 2,111,473 times
Reputation: 1056
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
Note to self: Read threads from the most recent post backwards. Chances are LIC has already said the same thing.
man I can't rep you yet. good post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-15-2011, 05:22 PM
 
62 posts, read 54,251 times
Reputation: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCitizen View Post
man I can't rep you yet. good post
lol r u guyz daeting? that wuz 2 cuuuuute
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2011, 05:54 PM
 
Location: Long Island
8,297 posts, read 2,639,086 times
Reputation: 1560
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
We need to place television ads depicting members of the teachers unions as fat cats dining on 9% annual wage increases + pension benefits and lifetime health care. Show a table "tax payer funded teachers pension" vs. taxpayer paying annual school tax of "x" leaving next to nothing to save for their own retirement. Next screen show private taxpayers with starving children shopping at thrift stores for clothing and planning a vacation in their backyards. I'm sure that will send a swift message to the voters.

Of course, the teachers union will just say let them eat cake.

Now which tv station will carry the ad?
No, voters need to get engaged and solve this problem, you have a school board that you voted in to represent you. This is not the only district that has ignored the problems, there are others but probably less severe. Too many people looking for someone else to solve a problem, it's you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2011, 06:57 PM
 
172 posts, read 148,131 times
Reputation: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
No, voters need to get engaged and solve this problem, you have a school board that you voted in to represent you. This is not the only district that has ignored the problems, there are others but probably less severe. Too many people looking for someone else to solve a problem, it's you.
I really don't think people knew what the BOE did till now, frankly. It wasn't being ignored. Obfuscation on the part of the district.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2011, 07:15 PM
 
Location: Inis Fada
13,694 posts, read 15,366,938 times
Reputation: 4536
Quote:
Originally Posted by freerunner View Post
Obfuscation on the part of the district.
Of most districts. Just recently an attorney's letter to our BoE was leaked to the taxpayers. Within it the attorney advises the BoE NOT to accept the contract proferred by the teachers union.

The BoE accepted the contract anyway. The president of the BoE stated they would go after the party/parties which leaked the letter citing a breach of attorney/client privilige. Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the BoE on the side of the taxpayers and their best interest? Wouldn't we be the client in this equation as the BoE are elected to represent us?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2011, 07:25 AM
 
Location: Long Island
8,297 posts, read 2,639,086 times
Reputation: 1560
Quote:
Originally Posted by freerunner View Post
I really don't think people knew what the BOE did till now, frankly. It wasn't being ignored. Obfuscation on the part of the district.
Yes it was different when the contract was signed in 2005, I don't think the residents could have know. The last 2-3 years there is a tremendous amount of information readily available, anyone who doesn't know what is going on at this point just isn't making an effort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2011, 03:42 PM
 
Location: Suffolk
498 posts, read 488,882 times
Reputation: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Of most districts. Just recently an attorney's letter to our BoE was leaked to the taxpayers. Within it the attorney advises the BoE NOT to accept the contract proferred by the teachers union.

The BoE accepted the contract anyway. The president of the BoE stated they would go after the party/parties which leaked the letter citing a breach of attorney/client privilige. Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the BoE on the side of the taxpayers and their best interest? Wouldn't we be the client in this equation as the BoE are elected to represent us?
Yes, the taxpayers elect board members, but not to only be on their side! You elect them to help manage the district, by setting budgets and policy. A board member has to balance their representation of the taxpayers, the staff and the students.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2011, 03:50 PM
 
Location: Inis Fada
13,694 posts, read 15,366,938 times
Reputation: 4536
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7CatMom View Post
Yes, the taxpayers elect board members, but not to only be on their side! You elect them to help manage the district, by setting budgets and policy. A board member has to balance their representation of the taxpayers, the staff and the students.
Forgive me for being confused. The way I am seeing this is that the taxpayers elect the BoE to manage the district as you have written. The taxpayers are paying the teachers and all other employees of the school district, if I am correct in understanding that. The BoE should be looking out for the interest of the party which votes them in -- the taxpayers -- and be keeping an eye on the employees -- teachers and all other employees, while managing district operations. The teachers have a union to represent them, and if I am understanding your reply correctly, the teachers and the taxpayers have the BoE to represent them. Maybe I am reading too much into this, but it seems more favorable overall to the employeess.

If I have a financial advisor, I want him protecting my investments/me. I thought the BoE was accountable to the taxpayers, not the employees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2011, 04:02 PM
 
Location: Suffolk
498 posts, read 488,882 times
Reputation: 229
Well, let me put it this way then. Boards have to keep everyone happy for the district to run optimally. Keeping things running smoothly benefits everyone involved.

I didn't mean to imply that the Board "represents" the unions - but they do have to negotiate with them. A happy teacher is a better teacher for your children - again, not to imply that they need to be paid an exhorbitant salary to be happy.

Teachers, students and taxpayers all like board members who listen to them and care about their needs.

That's it in a nutshell!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2011, 05:45 PM
 
3 posts, read 3,420 times
Reputation: 10
So many of you are clueless. It's sad. Most of you have probably never attended a school board meeting until (maybe) recently; when the news started trashing teachers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top