U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 02-08-2012, 01:17 PM

6 posts, read 6,156 times
It is easy to say good things about something when they are in fact true. Floral Park is a safe and convenient town to raise a family or to grow old. There are lots of sports or clubs or activities to join after school in this solid middle class community. There are rules and requirements, like any civilized community and guess who they benefit, the residents. And the town has it's own ambulance! When seconds count you can count on Floral Park and it's emergency crews. That looks like a complete package to me. And as far as large plots of land, well there's the Hudson Valley, the gold coast or Suffolk County. If you like being near Manhattan minus parking hassles and general congestion, good schools, a great recreation facility, not breaking the bank, this is about as good as it gets, just ask any local doctors, clerks, business owners, contractors and realtors and attorneys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 02-08-2012, 06:07 PM

239 posts, read 189,795 times
My stepdad works in Floral Park and was apart of their Rotary Club. Overall, I'd say it's decent. Most houses are nice. I like how they have variety in the style of houses (colonial, cape, ranch, etc.) instead of all being smaller cookie cutter houses. However, I personally wouldn't move to Floral Park because it's too congested for me. Considering that living on Long Island costs more money than NYC, I would prefer to be somewhere more spacious. But as some people stated they don't mind not having a bigger property, so it's all subjective. Also, I agree that I don't like the idea of having a 7-12 high school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou weegie B View Post
There is a Floral Park syndrom epidemic with the people who live there. There is definetly a "we are better than you" and an ignorance about any problems in the area.

Village residents are multi generational, closed minded, don't get out much and don't want to.
Unfortunately, I can agree to this somewhat. FP tends to be very multi-generational which means that many residents are resistant to change in the area. This can be a good or bad thing. While Covert Avenue is nice, Tulip Avenue can use somewhat of a makeover. Sure it's safe and still the major FP hub, but businesses have come and gone way too much there. At one time residents were opening restaurant after restaurant, and eventually going out of business because Tulip Avenue didn't need 6+ different restaurants on one block. It would be better if Tulip commercialized a bit, like adding a Dunkin Donuts, Red Mango, or bagel shop. If Tulip commercialized it would be more comparable to 7th street in Garden City and other LI village downtowns. But of course this isn't happening since the residents are resistant to change. The residents are also upset because what was once a vacant Sizzler on Jericho Turnpike is being turned into a 7-11, and apparently it's bad to have a 7-11 in town because it'll be a big hangout.

Unread 02-08-2012, 06:50 PM

3,173 posts, read 2,798,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCNNY View Post
Unfortunately, I can agree to this somewhat. FP tends to be very multi-generational which means that many residents are resistant to change in the area. This can be a good or bad thing. While Covert Avenue is nice, Tulip Avenue can use somewhat of a makeover. Sure it's safe and still the major FP hub, but businesses have come and gone way too much there. At one time residents were opening restaurant after restaurant, and eventually going out of business because Tulip Avenue didn't need 6+ different restaurants on one block. It would be better if Tulip commercialized a bit, like adding a Dunkin Donuts, Red Mango, or bagel shop. If Tulip commercialized it would be more comparable to 7th street in Garden City and other LI village downtowns. But of course this isn't happening since the residents are resistant to change. The residents are also upset because what was once a vacant Sizzler on Jericho Turnpike is being turned into a 7-11, and apparently it's bad to have a 7-11 in town because it'll be a big hangout.
I agree with you on the Sizzler..no reason for anyone to be complaining about that. That part of Jericho is already so commercial and that particular spot is not going to affect anyone, aside from the few houses that are already close to Jericho.

Tulip is already mostly commercial by the LIRR. Are you referring to the area by the FP LIRR station or East of Plainfield Ave?

Floral Park and Stewart Manor are both very cliquish. Agree with you there too. Probably even more so than Garden City. That's the downside to moving there.

Unread 02-08-2012, 06:58 PM

152 posts, read 183,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60highflyer View Post
It is easy to say good things about something when they are in fact true. Floral Park is a safe and convenient town to raise a family or to grow old. There are lots of sports or clubs or activities to join after school in this solid middle class community. There are rules and requirements, like any civilized community and guess who they benefit, the residents. And the town has it's own ambulance! When seconds count you can count on Floral Park and it's emergency crews. That looks like a complete package to me. And as far as large plots of land, well there's the Hudson Valley, the gold coast or Suffolk County. If you like being near Manhattan minus parking hassles and general congestion, good schools, a great recreation facility, not breaking the bank, this is about as good as it gets, just ask any local doctors, clerks, business owners, contractors and realtors and attorneys.
Even areas such as Wantagh, Levittown, Bellmore, Westbury (Salisbury), etc, have larger lots than Floral Park. So one does not even need to go to very far to get more land than Floral Park has to offer. Those are equally great communities, with better schools, larger lots, lower taxes and cheaper homes, less congestion. I think Lou Weegie B hit the nail on the head in sharing his experience of Floral Park. Floral Park is not the complete package by far. It lacks a middle school, for goodness sake. Floral Park has much more negatives than positives, especially for the tax dollars one has to pay to live on 40x100.

When you add the bumping of this thread and all the raves about the area, I definitely hear a strong sales pitch if you ask me.

Last edited by WiseWords; 02-08-2012 at 07:07 PM..

Unread 02-08-2012, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCNNY View Post
The residents are also upset because what was once a vacant Sizzler on Jericho Turnpike is being turned into a 7-11, and apparently it's bad to have a 7-11 in town because it'll be a big hangout.
Are they kidding me? Jericho Turnpike is already a dump over there. What's the difference? In addition, the Sizzler was no claim to fame either.

Unread 02-08-2012, 09:50 PM

9,343 posts, read 14,807,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseWords View Post
Even areas such as Wantagh, Levittown, Bellmore, Westbury (Salisbury) ...
The Village of Westbury in the Town of North Hempstead is a totally separate community from the Hamlet of Salisbury in the Town of Hempstead.

Unread 02-13-2012, 11:48 AM

84 posts, read 60,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floral Highness View Post
I live in Floral Park.....YES, there is a large amount of residence with the "keeping up w/ the Jones" syndrome. I don't mind as long as I am the Jones!!!

Don't get me wrong....it is a fantastic place to live & raise a family when compared to Lynbrook, Elmont, Valley Stream and other lower cost areas!!! I guess you get what you pay for.
Do tell, what's involved in "keeping up with the Jones's" in Floral Park?

Unread 02-14-2012, 05:57 PM

27 posts, read 14,637 times
There is only one way to live well in FP, and that requires giving up your rights and joining the brainwashed.

There is no positive side for someone who believes you home is your castle as the village WILL break your bank if you don't play their games.

I find bear cans and bottles in front of my home regularly. I've lived in Queens my whole life and FP is the only place my home was robbed and car broken into.

Residents have a Stepford Wives mentality and xenophobia about outsiders.

Kids run around uncontrolled and generally poorly behaved. I've seen kids disrespecting adult merchants like the spoiled brats they are growing up in a protected enclave.

Maybe it looks ok on the surface but it is rotten at the core.

I got nothing good to say about it.

Unread 02-14-2012, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou weegie B View Post
There is only one way to live well in FP, and that requires giving up your rights and joining the brainwashed.

There is no positive side for someone who believes you home is your castle as the village WILL break your bank if you don't play their games.

I find bear cans and bottles in front of my home regularly. I've lived in Queens my whole life and FP is the only place my home was robbed and car broken into.

Residents have a Stepford Wives mentality and xenophobia about outsiders.

Kids run around uncontrolled and generally poorly behaved. I've seen kids disrespecting adult merchants like the spoiled brats they are growing up in a protected enclave.

Maybe it looks ok on the surface but it is rotten at the core.

I got nothing good to say about it.
So true Lou Weegie.

I have friends who live in FPV. They find beer cans regularly thrown in their bushes and on the street. Dime bags on walks around the neighborhood with their family. They have had issues with unruly punky resident young people, from littering, to defacing property to loads of drunken teens roaming around looking for trouble on weekends. Forget about Belmont Stakes. It is a madhouse there. I attended their home once for a Belmont Stakes party. My jaw dropped as I literally watched teens urinating on people's homes, driveways, vomiting in the streets, throwing garbage and even smoking pot in the streets. Police were to be seen however clearly these young people knew what they could and could not get away with, as these behaviors continued for the entire day. I was appalled and disgusted that the behaviors were allowed simply b/c these young people reside within "the village" (and because the Stakes is FPVs pride and joy).

Lou Weegie B, you are on spot with this assessment. When will you be leaving? There are much better places to spend your money than here, for a much better quality of life.

Unread 02-17-2012, 08:27 AM

324 posts, read 279,326 times
If you read my posts earlier about FP, then I am sure some of you would agree.....

FP and other towns around it (New Hyde Park, Valley Stream, Elmont) etc...are basically like Queens East. You are getting Queens type property (ie-small lots) while paying Nassau County taxes, with no middle school, and little else.

If you can afford FP and the taxes, then I would say go a little more east to Garden City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island