Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 03:21 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,122,200 times

Advertisements

Its all about your attic/roof insulation. Most homes on LI were built with a R-14 value. New homes being constructed now are using R-38 as the norm.

Gas has one major advantage vs. oil. You can now buy gas equipment that is 98% efficent!! The best your getting with oil is like 85%. Big difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2011, 06:26 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,917,756 times
Before I switched from oil to gas, three Winters ago, I used 700-750 gal. per year in a well insulated 2,500 sq ft high ranch. The oil only was for heating. A separate gas hot water tank provided hot water.

I don't know what oil costs these days, but I spend $1,500 for gas per yr. The gas is for heat, h.w., clothes drying and stove.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:57 AM

169 posts, read 674,052 times
2,100 split built in 1954, high ceiling in livingroom, boiler around 5 years old, 1 zone, 67 degrees day and night, between 950 - 1,000 gallons / year
Indirect water heater, oil of course. I think the water heating accounts for roughly 30% of heating costs, in the summer, i used up around 1 gallon/day.

Last edited by eugenet; 04-18-2011 at 11:01 AM..

Old 04-18-2011, 10:23 AM

2,942 posts, read 5,996,435 times
1,900 colonial built in 1929, boiler is 7 years old, 1 zone, 72 degrees day and night, between 500-550 gallons a year - heat only. Hot water/dryer is run with gas. Should oil go to $6-$7 a gallon, would seriously consider making the conversion to gas. Last I looked oil was at roughly $4 a gallon.

Old 04-18-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
The one thing about oil is you have the freedom to shop around. With gas, they gotcha.
Except that the price of oil has risen dramatically, while the price of nat. gas has fallen dramatically. From US

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Before I switched from oil to gas, three Winters ago, I used 700-750 gal. per year in a well insulated 2,500 sq ft high ranch. The oil only was for heating. A separate gas hot water tank provided hot water.

I don't know what oil costs these days, but I spend $1,500 for gas per yr. The gas is for heat, h.w., clothes drying and stove.
Forgot, day temp: 74F, Night: 71F

Old 05-01-2011, 06:14 PM

3 posts, read 15,454 times
Default Only $1200 a year for oil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Probably spending 1200-ish a year on oil, 4 bed 1950's cape. Newer burner. Not too bad.
Neighbor has the same exact house, but gas, he says he's at somewhere around 2k since November.
Other than the convenience, he regrets the switch. He says NatGrid is killing him, and his place is all pimped with new windows, doors, siding, etc...His gas bills were 4 or 5 hundred a month. YIKES!
Situation sounds similar to mine, except mine was built in 1940's. What is the rest of your situation. Windows, insulation, thermostat-temperature of house. What do you heat your water with? Do you have a basement as well?

Old 05-01-2011, 06:56 PM

19,990 posts, read 20,683,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldilocks56 View Post
Situation sounds similar to mine, except mine was built in 1940's. What is the rest of your situation. Windows, insulation, thermostat-temperature of house. What do you heat your water with? Do you have a basement as well?

I do not have a separate hot water heater, nor do I need one, I got lucky and have a kick ass boiler with a coil. Never, ever, run out of hot water.
I have decent windows, but the place was built in the 50's and has some drafts still, I did seal up a bunch of leaks since I've lived here. I keep the thermostat at around 66, all winter, no matter what. Everyone knows touching the thermostat is second to murder in this house.
I know the place is insulated, but to what degree I have no clue as I have not had to open any exterior walls.

The key I believe is not touching the thermostat, at all. Set it and forget it. If it feels a little chilly on some nights, well that's why god created blankets, that or snuggle with your significant other. I turn the heat on first week of November, 66 degrees, it does not get touched until mid April when I shut it off. End of story, no exceptions.

Old 05-16-2011, 11:26 AM

3 posts, read 15,454 times
Default Oil usage on Long Island

Quote:
I do not have a separate hot water heater, nor do I need one, I got lucky and have a kick ass boiler with a coil. Never, ever, run out of hot water.
I have decent windows, but the place was built in the 50's and has some drafts still, I did seal up a bunch of leaks since I've lived here. I keep the thermostat at around 66, all winter, no matter what.
Ok I have same, with the exception that I will be replacing the windows this year. What type of heat do you have? Radiator, baseboard, etc. I have radiators in attic and 1st floor, baseboard in basement. Also, what temperature do you keep the boiler at during winter and during summer? Obviously never going over 66 degrees is a major factor in keeping costs down. I just looked at the boiler, mine is a Peerless Boiler, 91000 btu steam, 92000 btu water. What do you have and what else would qualify yours as a "kick ass" boiler?
Also, Karl, do you know how many gallons of oil you go thru? What kind of prices are you paying to get your entire heating costs down to $1200ish a year?

Old 05-16-2011, 01:59 PM

65 posts, read 192,288 times
I used approximately 600 gallons this winter (first year living at my house.) I have a 1926 colonial with finished attic. The house is approximately 1500 sqft. The oil is used for heat only. I have a separate gas tankless hot water heater. The burner is about 15 years old and 209,000 BTU by Peerless. The house has cast-iron radiators throughout including the attic. The basement use electric in-wall heater. I keep the temperature at 68 from 7-11am and 5-10pm. The rest of the time is 65. I was told the house this old was built without any installation. When the previous owner put up new siding a few years ago, he added 1 inch insulation on the walls. I imagine if I keep the temperature at 72 all day long my oil usage could easily double. There are drafts in the house and I can't seem to seal them all.

If the oil does go up to $4 or 5 dollars per gallon, I think I will switch to gas. My burner is not that old but it stopped working on me 3 times this winter during the coldest nights. My oil contract finishes in December and I'm thinking of doing COD. However, I'm afraid that my burner will when I don’t have a service contract. I think I will eventually convert to gas but I have to look into the price of converting. If it takes 15 to 20 years to break even then I’ll have to think about it.

Do you guys think a house that uses gas has more property value then oil?

Old 05-16-2011, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daihung View Post

Do you guys think a house that uses gas has more property value then oil?
Not really but it is cheaper to run.

Just a little perspective, my home is 3,000 sq ft and when we used oil, used 600 gal./yr. at 72 deg. and the oil made hot water too. The difference is that you burning oil to heat the outside. I don't know what that one inch insulation is on the outside but even if was the best, it is only R-7 and you need R-13 minimum.

I suggest that you have an energy audit. Tell the utility that you are thinking of switching to gas and do they offer free energy audits. They can suggest ways of dropping your usage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island