Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 08:19 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,150,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
I know, it might be tough to pull off but I think that is an appropriate list price. Prob fetch $360k at least. What I would do if I was the owner: (depending on if you need the 4th br), expand the Master br and add a full bath. Making it a 3/2 with large MBR/master bath. List it at $439k next year with the new layout.
And the cost of the construction vs. the increase in sales price would be??
Not to mention the disruption caused by adding a new bath...

Just curious. I don't know the house nor the exact neighborhood - possible that you do...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 11:48 AM

257 posts, read 751,013 times
The problem with any real bathroom "construction". Is that it's a cape-to add a bath on the second floor requires a dog house dormer + materials + plumbing, I'm talking over 20k for a bathroom, and thats with modest materials. I could easily do one off the master by converting the 4th br, but thats on the first floor, so basically that would be two on the first floor and none upstairs, kinda weird I think. If it means anything I have a water line already run upstairs because my laundry area is on the landing at the top of the stairs....

Basically why I started this this was to see how long it would be between "for sale" and actually moving, but clearly that varies too much to say I guess.

Old 04-18-2011, 12:03 PM

257 posts, read 751,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
BTW, do you have a garage? If so, 1-car or 2-car?
Yes, 1.5 car detached garage.

Old 04-18-2011, 01:54 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,150,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladibug1026 View Post
The problem with any real bathroom "construction". Is that it's a cape-to add a bath on the second floor requires a dog house dormer + materials + plumbing, I'm talking over 20k for a bathroom, and thats with modest materials. I could easily do one off the master by converting the 4th br, but thats on the first floor, so basically that would be two on the first floor and none upstairs, kinda weird I think. If it means anything I have a water line already run upstairs because my laundry area is on the landing at the top of the stairs....

Basically why I started this this was to see how long it would be between "for sale" and actually moving, but clearly that varies too much to say I guess.

Plus permits, plus Town inspections, etc., etc. And you're right about the 4th BR conversion on the first floor...

Back to your original question: as has previously been mentioned, pricing will determine how fast any house sells.

Old 04-18-2011, 05:02 PM

172 posts, read 292,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
They're thinking of putting the house on the market this time NEXT year (or maybe a little earlier)...
Lots can happen between now and then...
Ain't that the truth!
The shadow inventory should be hitting by then.

Old 04-18-2011, 05:03 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,047,114 times
Until they're sold?

Old 04-18-2011, 05:08 PM

172 posts, read 292,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
I know, it might be tough to pull off but I think that is an appropriate list price. Prob fetch $360k at least. What I would do if I was the owner: (depending on if you need the 4th br), expand the Master br and add a full bath. Making it a 3/2 with large MBR/master bath. List it at $439k next year with the new layout.
THen you see values RISING from today till a year from today? That's contrary from what most people think. We have over a year inventory in some places, that's double digit deflation of prices. Suffolk/Nassau rank #3 in the country for foreclosures. Even if no other homes were listed from now till then, and prices went flat tomorrow, I don't believe adding a half bath will add almost $80,000 in value to a $360,000 home.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:30 PM

840 posts, read 2,445,857 times
we were on the fence and the realtor told us not to bother with the 2nd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladibug1026 View Post

Old 04-18-2011, 10:04 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,745,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freerunner View Post
THen you see values RISING from today till a year from today? That's contrary from what most people think. We have over a year inventory in some places, that's double digit deflation of prices. Suffolk/Nassau rank #3 in the country for foreclosures. Even if no other homes were listed from now till then, and prices went flat tomorrow, I don't believe adding a half bath will add almost $80,000 in value to a $360,000 home.
#3 in foreclosures, say what!? You sure about that? By what metric is this measured in ?? Let's see a link to this guess.
I'm not sure where prices are headed. My guess would be higher. They're already firming up and rising in certain price ranges...and Big Ben is printing money like there's no tomorrow. Making it a 3/2 with bigger MBR/Master bath will most likely return that invested money back (+ some) to the OP when they sell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELKE
Just curious. I don't know the house nor the exact neighborhood - possible that you do..
Just a suggestion to the OP. If they threw it out to a contractor, he/she would make it happen if it was possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladibug

I know what you're saying. My thought was keeping the upstairs as is -- and if there is a small bedroom next to the mbr, demolish the wall leading to it and expanding the mbr into that room with an added ordinary bath -- nothing spectacular. 2 baths or even 1.5 would add convenience and make a family a lot more comfortable, no? Even if they are on the same floor.

Old 04-19-2011, 03:26 AM

5,049 posts, read 3,954,202 times
Prices will be lower a year from now. Price your house 20k lower than the listed and nonselling similar homes in your area. That may not work because there iis no precise way to know the right price before your home sells . Finally, after two weeks on the market all potential buyers have rejected it so, since prices are falling it is tme to lower the price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island