Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 05:41 AM

57,269 posts, read 26,199,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody516 View Post
I like Mangano...I may not agree with him as County Executive, but he's no Gulotta (thank God).

The REAL problem we have here in Nassau is this "Republican/Democrat" thing. None of our elected officials are looking out for the residents. They're all about party and party loyalty. I think the only way to turn this county around is for all residents to make a commitment to not vote for ANY Republicans or Democrats for local offices. They vote in blocks so ultimately what is the point of having 19 legislators up there. Might as well have only 2. I can predict how any one of those knuckleheads is going to vote solely by how their party head votes.... They're all a waste of time!
Absolutely agree, the partisanship amnd patronage are a huge part of the problem in county government. Mangano is a big improvement over Gulotta and he has done more to cut the workforce that was present under Suozzi. There are just too many patronage positions that place incompetent people in jobs. The other problem is the total apathy and lack of basic knowledge by the voters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 03:35 PM

22,187 posts, read 19,459,426 times
For the time being, the redistricting plan is being blocked by a Judge

Quote:
A State Supreme Court justice in Mineola on Thursday temporarily blocked the Republican-controlled Nassau legislature from adopting a new redistricting plan for this year's elections.

The legislature had scheduled a vote on Monday.

Justice Steven Jaeger granted county Democrats' request for a temporary restraining order and directed both sides return to court May 26 to show why the process followed by Republicans in drawing the new lines was not "arbitrary and capricious and an abuse of discretion and violates the constitutional precepts governing redistricting."

Long Island Item

Old 05-12-2011, 05:42 PM

852 posts, read 1,443,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
For the time being, the redistricting plan is being blocked by a Judge

Long Island Item
What a freaking waste of taxpayer money! Schmitt has to stop playing party politics here in Nassau County. We CAN'T afford it! If he's so intent on playing party politics, he should go to DC. We have no use for him here!

Old 05-13-2011, 12:46 AM

Quote:
What a freaking waste of taxpayer money! Schmitt has to stop playing party politics here in Nassau County. We CAN'T afford it! If he's so intent on playing party politics, he should go to DC. We have no use for him here!
The new map is below, as well as a link so you can zoom in and scroll around. From the looks of it, they decided to give Belesi, Toback and Ciotti more favorable districts. Same thing with Ford in which they basically took out Oceanside and added Seaford. They drew Scannell and Denenberg into the same district, and looks like they purposely drew Jacobs out of her district. They still call it the 16th, but most of the area she would be representing would be new territory (much of it is in Yauturo's district)

http://htmlimg3.scribdassets.com/7bedrs5h1cxtt69/images/1-8bd6e6cc9f.jpg (broken link)

NasLegPlanProposal_Countywide

Old 05-13-2011, 05:18 AM

57,269 posts, read 26,199,434 times
How does dividing Hemstead into 3 districts help minorities?

Old 07-22-2011, 08:22 AM

Well, it appears the court has ruled against Nassau redistricting, saying it has to wait until 2013.
Once again...WHAT A FREAKIN' WASTE OF TAX PAYER DOLLARS...Thanks all to PETER fat, lazy, wanna-be re-elected, forget-about-solving-the-real-problems-of-taxpayers, career-politician, piggy-faced, assure-my-job-for-life, SCHMIDT!

God, I hate politicians...Not an honest one out there!

Old 07-22-2011, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Well, it appears the court has ruled against Nassau redistricting, saying it has to wait until 2013.
Once again...WHAT A FREAKIN' WASTE OF TAX PAYER DOLLARS...Thanks all to PETER fat, lazy, wanna-be re-elected, forget-about-solving-the-real-problems-of-taxpayers, career-politician, piggy-faced, assure-my-job-for-life, SCHMIDT!

God, I hate politicians...Not an honest one out there!
To be fair to Mr Rosy cheeks this proposal actually would have made his district less safe than it is now (though still ultra safe) by making his buddy Belesi's district less politically competitive. All Schmitt cared about was doing whatever he possibly could in order to keep the GOP in the majority in the Legislator. If that meant doing a redistricting in order to make the map as GOP as possible so they are in power when the actual redistricting by law is done and wastes a ton of tax payer $$ in the process so be it. If you ever want any example of what is wrong with politics in Nassau or LI as a whole it is that clown.

Old 07-24-2011, 01:23 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,500,310 times
No matter what he does Mangano ain't getting reelected.

Old 07-24-2011, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haywood16 View Post
No matter what he does Mangano ain't getting reelected.
I'm not opposed to Mangano as a whole.
BUT if he wants my vote, he needs to:
1) Fire Al D'Amato's daughter from her newly created patronage position.
2) Convince his brother to get a job in the private sector - it just looks bad for him as a Republican when his own brother is feeding at the public trough.
3) AND lowers my taxes...even a little!
Otherwise, I say.......N E X T!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island