Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 09:50 PM

31 posts, read 162,831 times

Advertisements

oh and dont forget our resident homeless man. (with the white hair )who hangs out in back of Eckards,, with is shopping cart loaded up with all his possessions. Ive given him food from time to time. hes relatively harmless.
Im sure the police and social workers have tried to get into a shelter. maybe he goes there when its really cold, I hope so anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2007, 09:52 PM

Just saw the sign this morning- it is to be called "Floyd Harbor Retail Centre"
thanks , But , do you know what stores are going in there ?

Old 01-28-2007, 11:10 AM

5 posts, read 17,510 times
Default Former Shirley Commuter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn-Shirley View Post
Greetings everyone...

I am in the process of migrating from Brooklyn, NY to Shirley, NY - yes, a HUGE change in life...but, marriage and a baby can encourage a person to seek some peace and tranquility from the city. As a result, I have a TON of questions...

1. How is the commute to Manhattan from Shirley on the LIRR?

2. How are the day care centers? Any recommendations? Preferably near the LIRR...

Any additional information about life in Shirley would be most helpful!

Brooklyn-Shirley
Hi -
I used to travel to NY from Shirley LI. Realisticly it's a 2 hour trip. It's been a few years but you used to have to switch trains for every trip. Parking at the Mastic station is full by 8am and there are issues w/car vandalism at night. I lived in Center Moriches so I had the option to go to Speonk which I did most often. Many people drive to Ronkonkoma - it's a shorter trip and you don't have to switch trains.
Traffic in Shirley can be really bad - the main roads are single lane.
We now live in NC - Mooresville to be exact and we love it so much we would never move back.
I have family involved w/daycare - I will ck into that and get back to you. Many daycares in that area are run from peoples homes and don't follow state guidelines as much as they should. I tried that at first with my son and ended up at a professional place called East End Kids Accademy. He went from 3 to 6 and he loved it. They have multiple computers, a pool, tennis courts and offer dancing lessons and tutoring for the older ones after school. The staff are all certified and awsome. They are on Barns Road in Manorville. It's close to the LIE and 2 exits east of William Floyd. You'd be going out of your way.
I'll get back to you about daycares.

Old 02-10-2007, 11:00 PM

[b] wow, Olive Garden and Applebees ?????????? and Friendlys where Firestone use to be ?? thats great !

You have this info from reliable sources?

Old 02-23-2007, 09:42 PM

6 posts, read 33,953 times
Default Seeking Advice from those who know in Shirley

Hello All,

We are a couple buying our 1st home,
no kids so schools doesn't matter.

We are looking in the Shirley area,
we have divided the area into 5 sections:

1-Shirley/Mastic north of Sunrise
2-Tangiers West-South of Sunrise,west of William Floyd parkway
to Golf course
3-Tangiers East-South of sunrise,east of William Floyd parkway
to Golf course
4-"Wood area"-South of Golf course, east side of William FPkwy.
(Robinwood, Parkwood, Briarwood, etc.)
5-Beach area-west side of William Floyd Pkwy-from West Baybright down to Lombardy Dr.

We know no area is perfect,
but which of these would anyone recommend as a better area?

Thanks in advance for all replys

Old 02-23-2007, 09:48 PM

62 posts, read 330,008 times
My husband take the LIRR from Ronkonkoma and we live in Bayport LI (Shirley is a little further east than where we are living right now)the Ronkonkoma branch runs more trains and has a better schedule. His commute is approximately 2 hours door to door, give and take a little due to traffic, his commute to the train station by car is 15-20 minutes each way and then he takes the train to Penn.

As for daycare centers...go to www.childcaresuffolk.org and you can email and call to request information on local centers in the Shirley Area and they will give you the names and numbers of in home providers, centers, and nanny services. Also you can call the OCFS - Office of Children and Family Services for NY and they too can give you a list of local providers in Suffolk county as well as tell you if they have had any negative actions/reports or criminal issues pending. Good luck!

Old 02-24-2007, 10:40 AM

63 posts, read 218,501 times
I didn't read much of this post, just wanted to say congratulations on moving to one of the trashiest areas on long island. shirley is the white equivalent to say, east patchogue, wyandanch etc.. yes, sad but true.

Old 02-24-2007, 05:02 PM

6 posts, read 33,953 times
Default new2you

You say shirley is the white equivilent of
east patchogue, wyandanch
We have looked in the area for the last 6 weekends
and I don't see it
we have eaten in the local pizzerias, restaurants,diners
we see kids playing in the streets
there are some houses that need work and some blocks
look better than others, but we also see many tree lined blocks
well kept lawns,etc.

I'm sure there are some areas of shirley
that are way better than others
I base what I say on what I see,have been seeing
if I'm wrong, I ask you to please enlighten me

thank you

Old 02-24-2007, 09:06 PM

991 posts, read 4,618,237 times
I really hate when people judge others by where they live, I will bet half these people do not even own homes. This is exactly the reason i want to leave Long Island everyone is so judging. Good luck with your house in Shirley, I am sure you will make it beautiful. by the way most people who live in Shirley are hardworking and they did not get everything handed to them, there are problems in every area of LI now even in those wonderful areas of Smithtown and Stony Brook.

Old 02-25-2007, 09:19 PM

Ok, lets be honest here... there are good parts of shirley, then there are not so good parts.. But.. basically, the good sections of shirley known as "north shirley" . are around the Kohls shopping center.. ( where the new shopping center is being built..) Also, along the sunrise hwy service road.... and around "smile makers" dentist..and the area going towards King Kullen..
By the way.. Never eat at the Windmill Diner .. Best is The William Floyd Diner.

So, the new shopping center Update info;"The floyd Harbor retail centre"
I have more rumors.: Staples pulled out of the deal, the sign is no longer there. Applebees is definitely in. Friendlys definitley going where Firestone use to be..
Does anyone know when Applebees is going to open ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island