Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 11:11 AM

Location: North of the Cow Pasture and South of the Wind Turbines
856 posts, read 2,920,896 times

Advertisements

Like living anywhere a little away from the mainstream you might have to be creative to live outside the box. There is quite a tourist economy and for the entrepreneurial minded person there are options. Not to say your going to get a 100k a year accounting job out there, but setting up your own accounting business might be an option. I think if your going to live out there then commuting up Island or to the city is not good for the quality of life thing. But people do it - I know people that commute to Manhattan lol every day!
But's a little extreme. I can get to Newport RI in almost the same amount of time lol over the ferry.

If it wasn't for the fact that I cant stand the frenzied pumpkin picking tourists, or barrage of wine experts after a tour and a slurp I would be out there.
But I could probably find a way to capitalize on the tourists and take the winter off
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2007, 11:19 AM

553 posts, read 1,934,369 times
The commute is not that crazy there are people that moved to the poconos and commute to the city every day.have you ever seen them trying to get home? when you get up there it is a one lane road in and out they promised they would have a railway they are still waiting.

Old 08-03-2007, 11:23 AM

Yeah I worked in the Board of Education in downtown Brooklyn for a while and there were a few people I knew that commuted from the Poconos - I kind of thought they were insane, but they seemed happy enough (3hrs each way) for some decent acreage (5+) and quiet life - One guy would tell about his bear encounters before work - not your typical city water cooler chat lol.

Old 08-03-2007, 11:33 AM

yea but that is six hours a day of your life wasted that you cant get back LOL, oh well to each his own I guess. I thought about it,even checked it out but when I saw that traffic I said no way.LOL Also my cousin lived there for a little bit at first the bears were cool then all she did was complain about them attacking the garbage every time she put it out.lol

Old 08-03-2007, 11:40 AM

I think they were thinking ahead though - they had 5-10 years to go before they could retire on that great NYCS pension - so grind away at the commute, and retire at 45 or 50. Wasn't like anything got done there anyway lol.

Old 08-03-2007, 11:44 AM

after 10 years of that commute 45 or 50 probably feels like 65 or 70 lol.

Old 08-03-2007, 12:14 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,675,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BovinaCowHateWindTurbines View Post
Like living anywhere a little away from the mainstream you might have to be creative to live outside the box. There is quite a tourist economy and for the entrepreneurial minded person there are options. Not to say your going to get a 100k a year accounting job out there, but setting up your own accounting business might be an option. I think if your going to live out there then commuting up Island or to the city is not good for the quality of life thing. But people do it - I know people that commute to Manhattan lol every day!
But's a little extreme. I can get to Newport RI in almost the same amount of time lol over the ferry.

If it wasn't for the fact that I cant stand the frenzied pumpkin picking tourists, or barrage of wine experts after a tour and a slurp I would be out there.
But I could probably find a way to capitalize on the tourists and take the winter off

100k only buys 3% of the available housing.

So much for the Accounting job(unless its a very creative accounting job)
C
Long Island Index: Home

Old 08-03-2007, 02:03 PM

Well since we are waxing philosophic - what if you made a 100k had little or no mortgage, car paid off, little or no credit card dept and didn't care about hitting the mall every day and going out for 200 meals once a week - you live in an area where you want to spend your vacation at home and not spend 6k a year to eat some buffet somewhere. LI is not for me either hence why I don't live there, but people do like it for some odd reason -

Old 08-03-2007, 02:12 PM

They like it because it has everything in close proximaty,mountains upstate, beaches, NYC, it really has everything no natural disasters really [now that i said that we will get a hurricane lol] mild seasons compared to other places and we do get four seasons, if you take away the cost it really is a nice place and unique too. and I would think if you made a 100k with no other payments you could live fine. I know people that do it and they do whatever they want.

Old 08-04-2007, 04:39 AM

1,058 posts, read 3,487,555 times
JFKIII: where abouts is your dads house in North Babylon?

I hate to say it, but homes are not selling very well. I've seen homes on the market for over a year now. Although most seem to be on the market for a few months.

Good Luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island