U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 10:33 AM

120 posts, read 242,329 times
Default Fence company recommendations

i am looking to fence off my property, at least just the front of it. I just got a quoute over the phone from Carls Fence located on Rt 107 and Boundary Ave. The gave me a qoute of $2500 for a 45 foot section on one side of the house and a 8 ft section of fence on the other side of the house. The type of fence i was qouted is a white PVC 6 foot fence. Both sides will have a gate. Is this a fair price?

I am also getting an estimate from Rose fence which i've heard very good things about. Although, i think they'll be very expensive

Can someone please recommend other fence companies that do excellent work at a fair price?

Thank you

Last edited by kacike; 04-21-2011 at 10:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 12:42 PM

114 posts, read 220,714 times
Carl's fence are insane. I called them to get a quote for a 120' of white pvc fence and got a 6,800 quote.

I got quotes from Above All Fence, Nassau Fence and Amendola. I ended up going with Nassau Fence but thinking back, should've gone with Amendola. They quoted me 3,600 vs 3,300 Nassau Fence quote but their fence material seemed much more thick and sturdy than the generic fencing material Nassau Fence guys used. + Nassau Fence were just two guys with a shovel, killing themselves. I would have thought they'd invest into a powered post hole digger - the fence is fine, very generic and is still standing, just wish i'd spent $300 more.

Old 04-21-2011, 12:50 PM

120 posts, read 242,329 times
The biggest thing for me is that i want it to be perfectly straight in both vertical and horizontal dimensions. That is really the only reason why i don't go to HD or Lowes to by the materials and do it myself. I figure if i hire a company they will have experienced professionals doing the work. Of course this is not always the case. Btw, do anybody think this is a DIY job? for 53' of fencing including 2 gates. I am not really trying to pay anyone else's mortgage. I am young, highly energetic and detail oriented. What are the required skills to do this work yourself?

Last edited by kacike; 04-21-2011 at 01:00 PM..

Old 04-21-2011, 02:10 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,262,668 times
its doable... read a book, buy a shovel and go at it...

you basically need to dig the holes at the right distance apart, put the post in, some cement, level in both directions and you're good to go, then put the fence panels in.

I haven't done it, but I've seen it done. Its hard work, but not super complicated.

The other key is to run a line from front to back to make sure you're installing it straight and on the correct side of the property line,

Old 04-22-2011, 04:11 PM

427 posts, read 462,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacike View Post
i am looking to fence off my property, at least just the front of it. I just got a quoute over the phone from Carls Fence located on Rt 107 and Boundary Ave. The gave me a qoute of $2500 for a 45 foot section on one side of the house and a 8 ft section of fence on the other side of the house. The type of fence i was qouted is a white PVC 6 foot fence. Both sides will have a gate. Is this a fair price?

I am also getting an estimate from Rose fence which i've heard very good things about. Although, i think they'll be very expensive

Can someone please recommend other fence companies that do excellent work at a fair price?

Thank you

I just got a quote from Above All Fence, and for the PVC 6' (plain ontop) it's $150/section installed. I don't know about the gate. I called 3 places and this was the middle of the road. I also think it's a good idea to check out Consumers and BBB for complaints.

As for doing it yourself; if you buy from Home Depot (not sure about Lowes), the quality of the fence is not as good. My neighbors did that and their fence is falling apart already.

Old 04-22-2011, 05:35 PM

1,233 posts, read 1,326,462 times
Brothers Fence

Old 04-23-2011, 08:20 AM

999 posts, read 1,117,358 times
You'll hate that pos pvc fence garbage, i got 600ft of that ****.....

And not the cheaper all pvc crap at HD, i have the metal supporting frame top and bottom...

JUNK. . . . Get the chain link with the privacy slatted hedge i think it's called...

JUNK, if you wanna see how ****ty it is, come by my house and when the dogs bark talk back to them and be ready to run, when they come right thru it.....
JUNK! ! !

High winds, kids don't close the gates right, and they get blown open, shell out $600 per gate opening when the hinges crack at the mounts.

JUNK, you've been warned....Yet another wonderful idea that i allowed the wife to talk me into.... thousands of dollars wasted on (no maintenance ever) junk, never ever had maintenance with chain link before, or run out of the house because the dogs charged thru it to straighten out asinine kids teasing them....

I learned though, whenever the wife says good, i now no longer listen at all, she is 3 for 3 on her idea of good.

Old 04-23-2011, 08:42 AM

11 posts, read 23,104 times
Hi, we just used Brothers Fence (Jose) and liked them a lot. They were very nice to work with. Also, talk to him about warranties, they guarantee all their work and will come back to fix it free.

Old 04-23-2011, 08:49 AM

1,768 posts, read 1,877,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacike View Post
The biggest thing for me is that i want it to be perfectly straight in both vertical and horizontal dimensions. That is really the only reason why i don't go to HD or Lowes to by the materials and do it myself. I figure if i hire a company they will have experienced professionals doing the work. Of course this is not always the case. Btw, do anybody think this is a DIY job? for 53' of fencing including 2 gates. I am not really trying to pay anyone else's mortgage. I am young, highly energetic and detail oriented. What are the required skills to do this work yourself?
You can do it yourself but you need someone to help you. With two people we moved at a pretty good pace, when I had a third person we went much faster. I did about 28 8' sections of wood last year - with two gates- over about three weekends. Since we were taking down the old fence we had a starting point which helped us keep it in line. Definitely saved some money but I wont lie, my shoulders were killing me by the time we were done. Also, we needed to rent a truck to get the materials home through multiple trips (might have been better to have it shipped right to my house).

Old 04-25-2011, 09:25 PM

59 posts, read 122,574 times
We have Amendolas, and are very happy.

I used to work with someone who moonlighted as one of Amendolas job estimators. He definitely steered me right with his personal experiences and overview of the various LI fencing companies.

Amendolas fence is manufactured by them ( at least when it was in 2008) and is very sturdy, well made and not one issue so far.

BTW - we want with all white and purchased a second gate - our best desision, our pool, landscapers, and contractors are very happy also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island