Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 02:52 PM

189 posts, read 630,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I agree but you can take walks on the boardwalk without living here. For me the cons outweigh the pros, mostly b/c I drive a lot on the weekends and LB is a b*tch and a half to get into and out of...and during the week, my LIRR commute isn't great either.
Listen, I actually don't think Long Beach is the greatest place in the world. Do I like living there? yeah I do, but it's not perfect. In fact, after living in NYC for over 10 years, I am surprised that I even moved back to the Island. I have issues with a lot of people that live here, but i'll save that for another thread.

I think my big issue here is that whenever there is a thread about long beach,no matter what the question is, you and that other person end up hijacking it and put it down like it's the worst place in the world.

We are on this forum to communicate. I see topics and towns that come up that I have issues about, but I am not constantly hijacking those threads with nothing but negativity.

The person who originally wrote this thread just wanted to know where people in Long Beach go grocery shopping. They didn't want to know how much you hate Long Beach. Don't you see my point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 03:14 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,941,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony314 View Post
Listen, I actually don't think Long Beach is the greatest place in the world. Do I like living there? yeah I do, but it's not perfect. In fact, after living in NYC for over 10 years, I am surprised that I even moved back to the Island. I have issues with a lot of people that live here, but i'll save that for another thread.

I think my big issue here is that whenever there is a thread about long beach,no matter what the question is, you and that other person end up hijacking it and put it down like it's the worst place in the world.

We are on this forum to communicate. I see topics and towns that come up that I have issues about, but I am not constantly hijacking those threads with nothing but negativity.

The person who originally wrote this thread just wanted to know where people in Long Beach go grocery shopping. They didn't want to know how much you hate Long Beach. Don't you see my point?

Old 05-04-2011, 07:11 PM

12,769 posts, read 18,264,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony314 View Post

The person who originally wrote this thread just wanted to know where people in Long Beach go grocery shopping
. They didn't want to know how much you hate Long Beach. Don't you see my point?
Exactly. And I told her I shop in Oceanside...and I gave her a reason...b/c LB sucks.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:15 PM

33,352 posts, read 46,774,611 times
Quote:
Exactly. And I told her I shop in Oceanside...and I gave her a reason...b/c LB sucks.
Why did you bother buying a place there? Did you not know the city of Long Beach (thanks Walter) sucked so bad before you spent all that money buying your condo? I've never seen somebody hate where they lived so much - especially when nobody held a gun to your head to buy the place....

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-04-2011, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Why did you bother buying a place there? Did you not know the city of Long Beach (thanks Walter) sucked so bad before you spent all that money buying your condo? I've never seen somebody hate where they lived so much - especially when nobody held a gun to your head to buy the place....
It was all I could afford @ the time b/c I wanted to move out badly. Renting wasn't an option plus my place is cheaper than any place you'd rent anyway...so for me, this was an affordable move. Good enough reason?

Old 05-04-2011, 07:28 PM

Quote:
It was all I could afford @ the time b/c I wanted to move out badly. Renting wasn't an option plus my place is cheaper than any place you'd rent anyway...so for me, this was an affordable move. Good enough reason?
No....because you seem miserable living there...and have nothing good to say about Long Beach at all. You hate your commute and you don't shop locally. You don't go to the bars around there or the beach...so honestly I think it wasn't the best move. I bought my place in Rockaway, but I love Rockaway and I can afford my co-op. Win-win situation.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:36 PM

Quote:
No....because you seem miserable living there...and have nothing good to say about Long Beach at all. You hate your commute and you don't shop locally. You don't go to the bars around there or the beach...so honestly I think it wasn't the best move. I bought my place in Rockaway, but I love Rockaway and I can afford my co-op. Win-win situation.
I don't go to the bars here b/c I'm not 16 years old with a fake ID nor am I single so I have no need to go to a bar when I can drink @ my home for way cheaper than I'd pay @ a bar. Not to mention I don't have to get into my car afterward to drive home.

I don't go to the beach b/c hmmm let's see, I'm not a teacher so I have to work everyday, all day...and I work many many weekends...so the time I have for the beach is limited, if any at all.

I realise maybe it wasn't the smartest move but moving elsewhere would have been something I couldn't have afforded @ the time. Would you have wanted to be 26 and still living @ home?

Old 05-04-2011, 07:44 PM

Quote:
I don't go to the bars here b/c I'm not 16 years old with a fake ID nor am I single so I have no need to go to a bar when I can drink @ my home for way cheaper than I'd pay @ a bar. Not to mention I don't have to get into my car afterward to drive home.

I don't go to the beach b/c hmmm let's see, I'm not a teacher so I have to work everyday, all day...and I work many many weekends...so the time I have for the beach is limited, if any at all.

I realise maybe it wasn't the smartest move but moving elsewhere would have been something I couldn't have afforded @ the time. Would you have wanted to be 26 and still living @ home?
Age doesn't matter...I know people that left their house at 18 and are doing worse off than we are....everybody's time clock is different.

As for the bars, I've never hung out in Long Beach, but if the majority crowd is of the younger demographic, then I understand. It is cheaper to stay at home and drink than go to the bar, but speaking for myself, I like the social atmosphere once in a while, which I don't think is so bad. As long as its a good mature crowd I'm fine.

As for the teacher thing, I'm friend with a few teachers (NYC public school system) and they bring work home....that sucks. I personally try to avoid working from home as much as I can.

Old 05-08-2011, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Age doesn't matter...I know people that left their house at 18 and are doing worse off than we are....everybody's time clock is different.

As for the bars, I've never hung out in Long Beach, but if the majority crowd is of the younger demographic, then I understand. It is cheaper to stay at home and drink than go to the bar, but speaking for myself, I like the social atmosphere once in a while, which I don't think is so bad. As long as its a good mature crowd I'm fine.

As for the teacher thing, I'm friend with a few teachers (NYC public school system) and they bring work home....that sucks. I personally try to avoid working from home as much as I can.
Yes they bring work home but if they are grading tests or something they could theoretically sit on the beach and do that. I can't exactly sit on the beach and do my work.

Old 05-19-2011, 11:41 PM

10 posts, read 27,549 times
Honestly, I'm 21,work in NYC, and live in Long Beach. I pay about 1,200/ month for a studio condo I bought (yes expensive), but I'm right across the street from the ocean. I chose to move out here because I love to surf. People here are friendly and laid back. They all say hi to you in the street. I admit I don't like the winters here, but who does? It is a bit colder here because of the water during the winter. That being said, if you like to surf then this place is great to live. Also, you can pretty much walk to everything if you live in certain areas. I would stay away from anything north of park avenue though because as others said it is kind of sketchy there. I've been living here for about 2 years and haven't had a problem with anything.

I grew up in Smithtown, and the train ride here is about 30-45 minutes less. It's about a 50-1hr train ride into the city, which isn't the best, but it could be worse.

And Jdawg if you hate it here so much then leave or find a better job so you don't have to work crazy hours...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island