Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 11:17 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,336,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettWeir View Post
Reminds me of a bitter relationship breakup where the person who was dumped belittles and justifies in his mind why said person left. Seems many on this forum mistake a persons refusal to keep getting bent over with said persons ability to pay for services. Many I know have left LI because they know there is no future there for their kids. Many haveleft for overcrowdedness, unfavorable firearms laws, nicer weather, and nicer people.
Ha ha... welcome new member...
This topic has been beaten to death, so this is an excellent topic for you to get to know your fellow members by reading the various threads on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 11:18 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,336,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formyblog View Post
As per Tax Foundation, a nonpartisan group based in Washington, D.C.
People are leaving because they can't afford is true. But people who are happy about this fact are sick. People are leaving because they can and they smart. When you go buy anything do you not look at what you are paying for and if its really worth ? If not then you are fool.
People want to stay in long island but if they are forced to leave that's not a good thing. Why do we have to keep paying more in taxes and get less in services.

New York, Long Island Taxes: Pay more in Property Taxes and Get even less

support tax cap so we can make long island a better place. I don't want to cut my budget so the other guy can have BMW.

New York and Long Island Property Taxes, enough said

Totally agreed... your blog has some excellent info on it. Good work.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:23 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,007,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formyblog View Post
As per Tax Foundation, a nonpartisan group based in Washington, D.C.
People are leaving because they can't afford is true. But people who are happy about this fact are sick. People are leaving because they can and they smart. When you go buy anything do you not look at what you are paying for and if its really worth ? If not then you are fool.
People want to stay in long island but if they are forced to leave that's not a good thing. Why do we have to keep paying more in taxes and get less in services.

New York, Long Island Taxes: Pay more in Property Taxes and Get even less

support tax cap so we can make long island a better place. I don't want to cut my budget so the other guy can have BMW.

New York and Long Island Property Taxes, enough said

Should be required reading and then discussion between school boards, politicians and the voting public - but we know that will never happen. Can you imagine? the suffolk cty executive, nassau cty executive, state senators and the voting public together - you'd have to call in the riot police.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:29 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,029,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilTownBlues View Post
Where's the fun if we don't have sweeping generalizations?
I mean c'mon a statement like.."No one can afford it, except all the illegals" just brings so much entertainment around here

More seriously, I think the world is exponentially more transient today than 20 years ago, not just LI.
lol touche!

I agree on the transient part... it's all relative I guess.

I take many a jab on these boards for funsies - more aimed at the people then LI itself to be honest... Because like you said, where's the fun if we all post slapping each other on the back and agreeing?

I left for many of the same reasons that twingles did. Affordability is a question not easily answered as I treated it with a forward looking tint. At the time we decided to go I felt that LI was reaching a tipping point where the tax burden has become completely unsustainable - house shopping and convincing myself that anything <$10k was "a deal". Meanwhile I've watched my family and friends take on significant CoL increases specific to LI in the past year or 2 with no end in sight (taxes, insurance, et al). It's just about to a point where some basic services that are taken for granted are going to suffer greatly - they're really out of options... and unfortunately, the greatest impact of that will be shouldered by the next generation.

So even though I would have been more then fine myself in the short term staying, where will my kids be down the road? If that's "leaving due to affordability", then I'll gladly wear that label.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:29 AM

929 posts, read 2,068,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettWeir View Post
Reminds me of a bitter relationship breakup where the person who was dumped belittles and justifies in his mind why said person left. Seems many on this forum mistake a persons refusal to keep getting bent over with said persons ability to pay for services. Many I know have left LI because they know there is no future there for their kids. Many haveleft for overcrowdedness, unfavorable firearms laws, nicer weather, and nicer people.
I don't think it's said in the tone that you used. It's usually said in a "damn we lost another one" type manner.

Old 04-27-2011, 12:13 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,144,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
Has the NY Times contacted you about taking over for Frank Bruni when he retires?
I thought you were taking over for Jessie Helmes?

Old 04-27-2011, 05:39 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,145,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
I thought you moved from Nassau to Suffolk?

Oh...I get it youre lying.
Has anyone moved from Nassau to Suffolk and wanted to move back?
Lying? I prefer literary license.

By the way, what clued you in? Was it the Kate Murray reference?

Old 04-27-2011, 05:40 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
saying it's the "only" reason is foolish. But the statement is valid in many cases.
I would say MOST cases.

Old 04-27-2011, 07:07 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,474,894 times
Many people I know who have left hold jobs that can afford to live, but they just don't see the reason to make a move back that would negatively effect their incomes for no net gain in livability.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:51 PM

475 posts, read 852,983 times
Default Leaving New York or L.I. (It's all the same state.)

My aunt lived in Long Island as do my cousins. My parents moved me out of New York when I was 14 and I call Virginia my home today. I gotta say I like Virginia, and I wouldn't blame it on affordability, Northern Virginia/ DC can be just as expensive as New York, Long Island, so on and so forth. But I like to wake up in the morning and look at the mountains, here the birds chirp, and feel at peace. I like my little country town, New York is where I from, my home is in Virginia. Like I said when I left New York I was still a kid, I didn't have to worry about high taxes politics. My advice would be if your happy then thats where you need to stay, regardless of the city or state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island