U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Why do ex-LI'ers come back to bash LI?
Bored as hell in their new areas 17 32.08%
Feel Guilty about leaving and ruining their kids' futures 4 7.55%
Miserable and want to "make" company 6 11.32%
Really are happy in their new area and looking out for us 26 49.06%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 06:06 AM

1,752 posts, read 2,014,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Counting Queens? BK?
86% sounds low, like Hempstead low. The 5-8 schools I mentioned in this thread are about 99%. I don't sub to Newsday, so unless you want to post a link with the full story, I can't read it.
No, according to your own links, Hempstead is at 56%. It's schools like this that bring the overall average down to 86%.

Everybody likes to talk about the elite schools on Long Island, but you conveniently forget that LI also has some absolutely terrible schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2011, 06:22 AM

3,564 posts, read 4,549,808 times
Quote:
it's more than 5 schools. Somethings off and again I don't sub to Newsday so I can't see it. From what I've seen https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb/County.do?year=2010&county=Nassau (broken link) and other public records sites, most of the schools in Nassau are at least 98% graduation rate. I know Suffolk has more districts, but I can't imagine the few bad ones here and Suffolk are dragging down the average that much.
I'm not sure but what could be off is that NYS and LI could be counting GEDs and not just On Time Graduation in their numbers. So that could be a possible reason why the numbers differ. I'll have to check and find out.

Old 04-29-2011, 07:07 AM

11,104 posts, read 9,787,090 times
Back to the original topic. I am a native Long Islander who now resides in in PA. I love Long Island for the most part, and since I have moved I do not put it down to locals.
We left because the areas on LI that we would want to live in, including Stony Brook became cost prohibitive. The schools were wonderful, but the taxes - outrageous.
I can't relate to the question that was posed.
In as much as I love Long Island, I have found that there are other places that are equally livable, and blessed with a rich history and natural beauty.
I am a woman who has lived in Oyster Bay, Glen Cove, Shirley, Roslyn, Bay Shore, Locust Valley, Sea Cliff, Long Beach, and Stony Brook.
I love Long Island but it is not the center of the world.

Old 04-29-2011, 10:39 AM

3,173 posts, read 3,488,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
No, according to your own links, Hempstead is at 56%. It's schools like this that bring the overall average down to 86%.

Everybody likes to talk about the elite schools on Long Island, but you conveniently forget that LI also has some absolutely terrible schools.
I just looked at a lot of numbers and I can tell you the 86% number is definitely wrong. Nassau's is at least 95%. Even Westbury High (one of the worst) is 86%. I looked at a few of the big schools in Suffolk (Sachem E, N) and they were above 88%, E was 94%.

*The critical thing you're missing is we have so many school districts, we're not lumped into a huge dysfunctional county district like in NYC and most of the country.

Even Baldwin, Elmont were 90%+. Newsday is known for not doing proper due diligence in their research.

Last edited by Pequaman; 04-29-2011 at 10:51 AM..

Old 04-29-2011, 11:19 AM

1,752 posts, read 2,014,109 times
Quote:
I just looked at a lot of numbers and I can tell you the 86% number is definitely wrong. Nassau's is at least 95%. Even Westbury High (one of the worst) is 86%. I looked at a few of the big schools in Suffolk (Sachem E, N) and they were above 88%, E was 94%.

*The critical thing you're missing is we have so many school districts, we're not lumped into a huge dysfunctional county district like in NYC and most of the country.

Even Baldwin, Elmont were 90%+. Newsday is known for not doing proper due diligence in their research.
No, I think the thing you are missing is that 86% is actually a really good graduation rate when you take into account ALL schools on LI, good and bad. NYS as a whole is only 70%. NC is 62% (Wake County (Raleigh - Cary)), around 80%.

Long Island has good schools. We get that. Other parts of the country have good schools also.

Old 04-29-2011, 11:39 AM

839 posts, read 800,699 times
Quote:
Didn't catch the name of those High Schools ?
Oh, okay, "things you heard and in the news" -- that cleared things up.
Cuthbertson, Weddington and Marvin Ridge in Union County, NC. All are similar to MHS.

In the news, as in it happened and was reported.

After I left-
Long Island High School Teacher Heather Kennedy in Alleged Sex Scandal with Student - Associated Content from Yahoo! - associatedcontent.com

Before -
School Upholds Massapequa Ballplayers' Suspensions

As for “things I heard”, I leave it at that.

[
Quote:
Yeah, the most potential at LI Schools. 99% vs 70% US average graduation rates, better scores and much better environment for success. If I said for example, a student attending NYU or Fordham or Stony Brook has a better chance of success than at Suffolk Community College, wouldn't that make sense? Of course good school programs don't guarantee success, but they definitely can't hurt.
So, are you under the impression that there are no school systems outside of LI has a graduation rate of 70%? Or that people that do their homework when they relocate use this and other criteria when choosing a place to live, right?

Quote:
Almost everything you've presented is anecdotal... "Things you heard", "one example of a child that didn't get proper special needs attention", "Michael Jordan", etc... I put up some numbers and you are dismissing them. I agree with you that it's possible to find LI-Quality schools elsewhere in the country. I've researched it before actually out of curiosity and didn't find any in Low cost of living areas. I wouldn't expect it either, retirees don't really have a need for good schools, they just want good weather & low taxes. I'm a pretty thorough researcher, but if you found your zone, stick with it. I'm happy for you.
If you're able to say that your father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate didn’t like the school their kids went to in NC, VA, FL, TX, etc… as part of your rationale, than so can I. Michael Jordan is not anecdotal, he went to school in NC. And I haven’t dismissed your numbers, you’re dismissing the fact that combination of lower cost (than LI) and good schools do exist outside of LI. Charlotte and Raleigh are not retiree-based areas and are lower cost. And I haven’t touched on Dallas yet, which has an even greater number of high performing schools and the cost less than most other areas.

Old 04-29-2011, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
Cuthbertson, Weddington and Marvin Ridge in Union County, NC. All are similar to MHS.

In the news, as in it happened and was reported.

After I left-
Long Island High School Teacher Heather Kennedy in Alleged Sex Scandal with Student - Associated Content from Yahoo! - associatedcontent.com

Before -
School Upholds Massapequa Ballplayers' Suspensions

As for “things I heard”, I leave it at that.

[

So, are you under the impression that there are no school systems outside of LI has a graduation rate of 70%? Or that people that do their homework when they relocate use this and other criteria when choosing a place to live, right?

If you're able to say that your father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate didn’t like the school their kids went to in NC, VA, FL, TX, etc… as part of your rationale, than so can I. Michael Jordan is not anecdotal, he went to school in NC. And I haven’t dismissed your numbers, you’re dismissing the fact that combination of lower cost (than LI) and good schools do exist outside of LI. Charlotte and Raleigh are not retiree-based areas and are lower cost. And I haven’t touched on Dallas yet, which has an even greater number of high performing schools and the cost less than most other areas.
I'll take a look at the Schools you mentioned. As for the horny teacher and ballplayers suspensions, anecdotal.
Also wanted to let you know, I remember you brought up about Special Needs students. MHS has a 98% grad rate among Students with Disabilities -- the highest I could find on LI. (avg on LI well below 90% for this demo)

Old 04-29-2011, 02:31 PM

839 posts, read 800,699 times
Quote:
I'll take a look at the Schools you mentioned. As for the horny teacher and ballplayers suspensions, anecdotal.
Also wanted to let you know, I remember you brought up about Special Needs students. MHS has a 98% grad rate among Students with Disabilities -- the highest I could find on LI. (avg on LI well below 90% for this demo)
Anecdotal - based on personal observation. I didn't see these things happen, I read about them in the news. That is not anecdotal. You mean do they do they happen every day? No, but they did happen.

Special Needs students -the district failed to help the one I'm concerned with until they threatened by a lawsuit based on an outside expert opinion, which they said was not needed. Anecdotal to you, important first hand experience to me.

Old 04-29-2011, 02:43 PM

5,130 posts, read 4,992,317 times
Quote:
Let's not turn this into a Suffolk SD bash fest. Yeah, there's some "weak" districts on LI, but the majority are the best in the country.

Please stop assuming that only people that live outside of NY know what it's like...and that NO ONE on LI has ever ventured past the VZ or GW bridge. You've been taking way too many swipes at the Original Poster and not the content of the OP. Very petty, doltish and distasteful TBH. I wasn't gonna reply to that, but maybe you can learn how to have a conversation, instead of thinking you're the "hippest" cat that ever lived on LI. Did I ever attack you directly the way you've done on this thread?
I grew up in Suffolk and can speak from personal knowledge... I also find it to be as much "LI" as Nassau. Unless you use some fancy weighting system that Nassau counts more or something.

I'd really like to know where you're finding something to justify that "the majority are the best in the country". I mean am I misunderstanding you? You're saying the majority of Suffolk county schools are the best in the entire country? To me that is way over the top and needs to be clearly backed up by data and fact. Because it's those types of comments that lead me to believe that you don't really understand what it is like across the GW. How just about anyone you ask in any major metro suburbs that their schools "are the best in the nation".

You seem to have latched onto grad rates... Is that the key indicator for you?

Old 04-29-2011, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd
Anecdotal - based on personal observation. I didn't see these things happen, I read about them in the news. That is not anecdotal. You mean do they do they happen every day? No, but they did happen.

Special Needs students -the district failed to help the one I'm concerned with until they threatened by a lawsuit based on an outside expert opinion, which they said was not needed. Anecdotal to you, important first hand experience to me.
I'm sorry if the school failed the particular student you are concerned with. But 98% is the highest success rate on LI that I can find. The 55+ students a year with Special Needs at MHS are not being let down. There are several other prominent districts that are as low as 70%.

I think of 'cherry-picked' when I say anecdotal.
The expression anecdotal evidence refers both to evidence that is factually unreliable, as well as evidence that may be true but cherry-picked or otherwise unrepresentative of typical cases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
I grew up in Suffolk and can speak from personal knowledge... I also find it to be as much "LI" as Nassau. Unless you use some fancy weighting system that Nassau counts more or something.

I'd really like to know where you're finding something to justify that "the majority are the best in the country". I mean am I misunderstanding you? You're saying the majority of Suffolk county schools are the best in the entire country? To me that is way over the top and needs to be clearly backed up by data and fact. Because it's those types of comments that lead me to believe that you don't really understand what it is like across the GW. How just about anyone you ask in any major metro suburbs that their schools "are the best in the nation".

You seem to have latched onto grad rates... Is that the key indicator for you?
I think some people, ahem, actually don't even consider Nassau LI. More like "Queens-East". Nassau & Suffolk have many similarities, we have more in common with Suffolk than Queens.

Graduation rates are obviously one of the most relevant metrics you can use to compare schools in different states. How about SATs? and other test scores? I will say it's also possible that the bar is set lower in many parts of the country too, although this could just be hearsay, I've heard this mentioned from sources outside of C-D as well.
Even middle-of-the-road LI schools in Nassau (and Suffolk as well), come in way above the state & country average in any comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island