Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 06:14 PM

35 posts, read 32,393 times

Advertisements

...For the most part. Not everyone of course. I'm really not trying to come off as elitist, but I find a big difference between people from the city (Manhattan), and Long Island.

I've lived on LI and Queens on and off in my life, and have really noticed there's a big difference between people from the city and LI. I'm really starting to notice this after seeing people's reactions of the new Sonic restaurant. People on the facebook group are practically kissing the ground where this place stands. I just can't believe it. I've been telling them that there are far better options for dining, and how you can get better quality and more food for the same price at an ethnic restaurant. One person even told me they would rather walk to the local Mcdonalds. This is the mindset that I just can't stand. I told them if they like chains so much, move down south.

It also bothers me how so many Islanders are clueless about the city. When I wasn't living in the city, my family drove to Manhattan often or took the subway to see family. Why bother living on this island when you don't take advantage of the world-class city so close to us? I know when I have kids, I'm going to take them to the city often like my parents did. I find it hilarious how so many here think the city is still like 1980-- rough and tough with hookers and bums all over.

I love living on Long Island, but it's just this small percentage of people who I can't stand. Anyone else feel this way?

Old 04-27-2011, 06:20 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,373,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY1984 View Post
...For the most part. Not everyone of course. I'm really not trying to come off as elitist, but I find a big difference between people from the city (Manhattan), and Long Island.

I've lived on LI and Queens on and off in my life, and have really noticed there's a big difference between people from the city and LI. I'm really starting to notice this after seeing people's reactions of the new Sonic restaurant. People on the facebook group are practically kissing the ground where this place stands. I just can't believe it. I've been telling them that there are far better options for dining, and how you can get better quality and more food for the same price at an ethnic restaurant. One person even told me they would rather walk to the local Mcdonalds. This is the mindset that I just can't stand. I told them if they like chains so much, move down south.

It also bothers me how so many Islanders are clueless about the city. When I wasn't living in the city, my family drove to Manhattan often or took the subway to see family. Why bother living on this island when you don't take advantage of the world-class city so close to us? I know when I have kids, I'm going to take them to the city often like my parents did. I find it hilarious how so many here think the city is still like 1980-- rough and tough with hookers and bums all over.

I love living on Long Island, but it's just this small percentage of people who I can't stand. Anyone else feel this way?
I feel the same. There is life outside of Sonic, people. (It's ok, whatever, I pride myself on my awesome body b/c I avoid eating @ sh*tty unhealthy places like Sonic).

Old 04-27-2011, 06:22 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,244,986 times
Quote:

You are basing much of what you recently learned about LIers from a LI Sonic Facebook page? Oh, OK.

Old 04-27-2011, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post
You are basing much of what you recently learned about LIers from a LI Sonic Facebook page? Oh, OK.

No, I just said it just adds more to why I feel this way. I have felt this way for a while.

Old 04-27-2011, 06:31 PM

732 posts, read 1,734,886 times
Idiots are idiots, no matter where you go.

Old 04-27-2011, 06:33 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,266,919 times
Quote:

Yes.

Old 04-27-2011, 06:34 PM

Quote:
No, I just said it just adds more to why I feel this way. I have felt this way for a while.
Reading the entire post it seems that the Sonic part is the final straw for you. I wouldn't get so worked up over how such a tiny % of the population eats.

Old 04-27-2011, 06:34 PM

I think those who were born in the city, and/or went to the city sometimes growing up, aren't like the way I described. They're the exception.

Old 04-27-2011, 06:35 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,745,437 times
I know, right!! Imagine if the uncultured elitists on LI started telling people in the city that they were uncultured and didn't know how to dine properly?! or that the city should ban salt.. how snooty would that be??

I love most of the city. Not the people running it though.

Old 04-27-2011, 06:36 PM

Quote:
I think those who were born in the city, and/or went to the city sometimes growing up, aren't like the way I described. They're the exception.
And you didn't want to sound elitist?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island