Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 02:36 PM

400 posts, read 738,451 times

Advertisements

I LOVE Islip and fly out of there regularly. I love how I can park my car and walk a short distance to the terminal, often get through security in less than a minute with no line (early a.m. flights), and get off the ground without waiting in line behind six or eight other aircraft at the runway. On the return end I can pick up my bag within minutes on the carousel and step outside to be picked up, or to retrieve my car. Friendly security folks, too.

I know that sometimes layovers can be a pain, but one of Southwest's hubs is Midway in Chicago, and it, too, is a small airport where all of Southwest is housed in one wing. I've stopped there many times on my way to Oakland, San Fran, and Minneapolis. They have a most excellent food court with my most favorite Greek restaurant. I hop off the plane, head down the concourse, grab some lunch, then go back to the gate for the second leg of my flight.

Coming home, it is a pleasure not to have to commute home from JFK by AirTrain/LIRR or deal with traffic on the Belt/S.State/LIE. Hooray for Islip!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 02:48 PM

880 posts, read 2,024,928 times
tell me where you park for free? It is $20 for a permit good for one year.$10 for a senior citizen one year. you must live in the town of ISLIP to get a permit

Old 04-28-2011, 02:55 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,034,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevej64 View Post
tell me where you park for free? It is $20 for a permit good for one year.$10 for a senior citizen one year. you must live in the town of ISLIP to get a permit
I guess I was wrong, it isn't free. I've been dropped off and picked up the last 4 times I've gone there, so I never had to pay.

That's another benefit of flying from ISP..people don't mind dropping off or picking up.

Hey, can you pick me up from Macarthur?

"Sure!!"

Hey can, can you pick me up from JFK?

"Do I know you?"

Old 04-28-2011, 04:17 PM

880 posts, read 2,024,928 times
We use ISP at least 10-15 times a year to WPB.I have a permit just to pick up family and friends.I do not leave my car there. I had a friend whos car was stolen at long term parking.Cop asked when was it stolen? He just finished telling him the car was parked there for the past week how would he know?

Old 04-28-2011, 04:58 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,088,442 times
How accepting would residents be if the airport does experience growth and the flights become more frequent??

Old 04-28-2011, 07:50 PM

929 posts, read 2,068,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettWeir View Post
As somebody who has been in the transportation business for approximately 20 years with a deep understanding of the workings of the airspace system around the NY area, I am often suprised to find Long Islanders underutilizing and underappreciating the golden nugget that is ISP. When I come back to LI approx. 3 times per year, flying into ISP sets the right tone for my mini vacation to visit friends and family.The two arrival routes that will either take me over Hartford than down over Groton Connecticut to intercept the ILS Approach to Runway 24 (Southwesterly landing). This route offers a nice view of the eastern North Shore. I can even blow a kiss to clamboy If the air traffic on that particular day isn't too congestive and particular runway alignments are in effect at JFK,LGA,AND EWR the air traffic controllers will descend us rapidly from 13,000 feet so as to see manhattan of the left side of the aircraft followed by and easterly routing paralleling the south shore of LI. If the weather is terrible flying out of JFK,LGA,AND EWR is a nightmare because of increased seperation distances required between aircraft. Unless a whole sector of airspace or specific routing out of ISP is groundstopped, ISP is not subject to this. When departing Islip you often get routed to an air intersection out by the hamptons, as you then turn westerly all while climbing briskly to avoid the nightmare that is NY Class Bravo airspace which encompasses the 3 NYC major airports.
I don't like many things about LI ,but i love ISP airport. The traveling public has been so conditioned to want to go to a destination nonstop, that I'll often see many LIers drive to LGA to catch a direct flight somewhere, and immediately rule out flying out of ISP and just connecting somewhere. Southwest Airlines has quick turn times and many times you dont even have to get off the plane. I would rather connect flying out of ISP than drive in traffic and congestion to the nightmare that is JFK or LGA, all the while worrying about what the weather will be or if the winds will be strong making only one runway available for takeoffs and landing at LGA which will delay the trip extensively. Just wanted to tell my ex fellow LIers to embrace that which is in their own backyard. God Bless. Coming back to island for a visit the end of May for a week.
I'm in total agreement. Flying back from a business trip into ISP puts you in a great mood compared to the meat grinder that is JFK/LGA. It's one of the best perks of living on Long Island, imho. Probably the best mid sized airport in the nation.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:13 PM

383 posts, read 665,037 times
Love flying in and out of Islip. Yes, I would love direct flights. But add the time it takes to get to JFK or LGA and it more or less evens out. Plus, as an Islip resident, I get to park there and I am home in 30 minutes from touch down and picking up luggage.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:53 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,267,934 times
I have friends in Balmer and in other places where Southwest flies direct, so it works for me. I love ISP.

Old 04-28-2011, 10:17 PM

1,336 posts, read 4,965,556 times
if u dont mind the SW cattle car its great for florida if u live in suffolk or eastern nassau. otherwise its a nightmare connecting flight or two. its a completely disfunctional menu of flights and airlines. no clue why it never expanded into a real airport, people would use it in masses if they could get anywhere

Old 04-29-2011, 05:51 AM

764 posts, read 1,553,549 times
MacArthur REALLY needs to get another airline like jetblue. Now that Southwest stopped offering direct flights to most places from their I am stuck going to jfk and using jet blue.

I only can use macarthur now to go to florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island