Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2011, 05:19 AM

629 posts, read 1,701,008 times

Advertisements

Hey all! I have an older asphalt driveway - and while out doing a late spring cleanup yesterday - noticed that this past Long Island winter was particularly hard on it as there are a lot of cracks that have developed. In the past, I have tried to use the latex crack filler - but it's homeowner-grade garbage. Does anyone know if it would be possible for me to rent the equipment necessary to drizzle hot tar on top of the cracks - like the town does in the street? I assume a 5 gal metal container driven by a heat source (propane?) and a block of tar is what I would need.
Yes, I know the easy answer is to replace the driveway - but my current economic circumstances dictate that it's going to have to be with me for a while longer - so I'm trying to do whatever I can to extend what is left of it's life. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2011, 06:20 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,688,180 times
You did not post where you are.Several years ago I bought blocks of tar at Spagnally Rd off rte 110 south of Huntington i believe it was Ransome Asphalt or something like that

Old 12-06-2011, 02:22 PM

1 posts, read 3,759 times
Smile San Antonio Asphalt Paving, 24-7 Under Pressure

i would contact your local asphalt company. it wouldnt cost much at all to fix a few cracks on a driveway and they would be done professionally.

they have the right equipment to get the job done right the first time that way you dont have to spend more at a later time.

Vincent Foisy
About Asphalt Paving, Seal Coating, Lot Striping nad Commercial and Residential Pressure Washing Home
Attached Thumbnails
Asphalt driveway repair-24-7-under-pressure-logo.jpg   Asphalt driveway repair-img_2325.jpg  

Old 06-15-2012, 08:45 AM

5 posts, read 24,580 times
I know this a bit of an old post, but came across it and figured I would provide an answer for other people who may run into the same problem. You can do something called infrared repair. Basically, you go through a paving company and they have tools that heat the problems sections of your driveway until the asphalt softens. A specialized spray is put over those areas and the areas are raked out to even everything out and remove cracks. This is a more efficient and more affordable way to repair your driveway. This explains the process a little more: Infrared Repair Bergen County | Infrared Asphalt Repair Bergen County | Infrared Bergen County
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island