Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 07:41 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,973,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post
Speaking from experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 09:22 AM

189 posts, read 632,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post
I believe you can surf anywhere once the beaches are "closed" for swimming. At 6am you should be fine!
This is correct. 6am you can surf your heart out.. haha. During the summer months when the beaches are open, you will know where to surf. There are always surfers in the water. Do you own an Android or Iphone? There are some great apps that I can recommend that will tell you the surf conditions and water temp.

Old 05-13-2011, 09:26 AM

189 posts, read 632,866 times
I do agree that the East End is much better than the West End for families and parking.

So if you settle in the west end this summer, you should try to find a deal next winter for a place in the East End.

Where I live, I only have parking problems during the summer months for only a few years on saturday and sunday. I am like 5 blocks from the beach.

I never had a problem at the Long Beach LIRR. Best way to avoid the taxi stand is to just walk through the building or walk on the other side. But I never had a problem with them.

Old 05-13-2011, 09:58 AM

18 posts, read 34,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony314 View Post
This is correct. 6am you can surf your heart out.. haha. During the summer months when the beaches are open, you will know where to surf. There are always surfers in the water. Do you own an Android or Iphone? There are some great apps that I can recommend that will tell you the surf conditions and water temp.

Ok sounds good - I am only in the West end until the end of June while I search for something more permanent.
Yep I have an Ipad so send me some good apps please!

Old 05-13-2011, 04:56 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbeavis View Post
Ok sounds good - I am only in the West end until the end of June while I search for something more permanent.
Yep I have an Ipad so send me some good apps please!
Another place that is very near Long Beach for good waves for surfing is in the Rockaways ... more specifically Rockaway Park. If you drive west, you will hit Atlantic Beach. Go over the Atlantic Beach bridge and continue west until you get to around Beach 105th Street and past ... go on the boardwalk over there. A plus is in the summer there is always an ambulance around there in the summers in case there is a swimming/surfing accident. The surf can get rough!

PS: I hope you got use of the driveway in your rental home.

Old 05-13-2011, 06:59 PM

7 posts, read 12,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbeavis View Post
Hi Donegal, thanks for the info.
My Mom has an uncle in Donegal actually....I guess that's where you're from?
It sounds like you guys are in the same situation as us, my wife will also be a stay at home mom with our 2 young children (except I'll be traveling to the City everyday). I'll look up that school thanks.

A question for you on banking and stuff - how did you bring money over when you came? Did you pay your deposit etc before you came?
And is it difficult to open a bank account?
Did you leave your bank account open in Ireland?
Yeah from Donegal alright.
We took a few grand cash with us, then opened a bank account right away. As long as you have a social security number opening a bank account is no problem. We still have an account at home too.

Old 11-28-2011, 09:14 PM

3 posts, read 3,813 times
I am looking into moving into LB as well.. I'm curious about E. Pine St. I've heard that there are pockets of "bad" areas in LB and was wondering if this was one of the areas.. the house is on E Pine btwn Park and Riverside..

Old 11-29-2011, 07:21 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,973,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4gizmo View Post
I am looking into moving into LB as well.. I'm curious about E. Pine St. I've heard that there are pockets of "bad" areas in LB and was wondering if this was one of the areas.. the house is on E Pine btwn Park and Riverside..
Don't go over there. I may get some pushback but that is one of the "bad" areas.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:35 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4gizmo View Post
Don't move over there. The part of Long Beach that is west of Long Beach Road and behind the Waldbaum's, the train station, etc., is not desirable. That's the area where a lot of trouble goes on. The houses may be "cheap," but that's the reason why.

Old 11-29-2011, 11:50 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,245,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
Don't go over there. I may get some pushback but that is one of the "bad" areas.
Agreed. (Did I just agree with you on something negative about LB?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island