Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 07:49 AM
exm exm started this thread

3,721 posts, read 1,780,351 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I have read a few threads in regards to living in Garden City, but my wife and I would like to specifically ask residents about their experiences living on Meadow Street. My wife and I are planning to bid on a property on Meadow Street (backyard towards Willow St) but we are really concerned with the proximity to Hempstead. Is Meadow Street safe? How badly does it affect resale value? Any other thoughts about Meadow Street?

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 07:56 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
As a former GC resident (13 years) I can tell you that regardless of the market you will have trouble on re-sale - trouble selling, and trouble getting the same price as you would if the exact same house were located on a different street. My DH grew up in GC and we were looking at houses he wouldn't look on Meadow.

It's not a stretch to say Meadow is probably known as the least desirable street in GC.

You can check with the GC police for crime stats. The side you are on is better but they do get breakins over there.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:34 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
Hi,

I have read a few threads in regards to living in Garden City, but my wife and I would like to specifically ask residents about their experiences living on Meadow Street. My wife and I are planning to bid on a property on Meadow Street (backyard towards Willow St) but we are really concerned with the proximity to Hempstead. Is Meadow Street safe? How badly does it affect resale value? Any other thoughts about Meadow Street?

Thanks so much!
Where on Meadow Street is it in proximity to Hempstead? Is it near Clinton? The other day I drove down Clinton because I was on my way to shop on Stewart Ave. in E. Garden City AND Hempstead was HIDEOUS just before Meadow Street. Dirty area. True ghetto. Lowlife looking types hanging out on the stoops in droves with music blaring. Ugh. Gross. Wouldn't want to be on Meadow or Willow near Clinton.

Old 05-10-2011, 10:03 AM

330 posts, read 726,275 times
Even I, defender of Hempstead, would have to agree that Clinton and Meadow is not a nice place, at all.

Old 05-10-2011, 10:06 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,759,907 times
You an analyze crime stats and obsess over the potential re-sale value all you want, but the bottom line is that every night you're going to bed right next door to an awful area and that's not going to change any time soon.

Old 05-10-2011, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveoliva View Post
Even I, defender of Hempstead, would have to agree that Clinton and Meadow is not a nice place, at all.
Franklin and Meadow is much, much tamer.

Old 05-10-2011, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
As a former GC resident (13 years) I can tell you that regardless of the market you will have trouble on re-sale - trouble selling, and trouble getting the same price as you would if the exact same house were located on a different street. My DH grew up in GC and we were looking at houses he wouldn't look on Meadow.

It's not a stretch to say Meadow is probably known as the least desirable street in GC.

You can check with the GC police for crime stats. The side you are on is better but they do get breakins over there.
Then this means the OP should drive a very hard bargain when negotiating to buy the house if s/he ends up wanting it.

It's kind of crazy that Meadow St. itself is pretty and nice yet is stigmatized. But when you look at the other areas in GC that are not directly adjacent to Hempstead, Meadow St. will look "worse" in comparison even though the street itself is not awful.

To me it's just so weird how that invisible demarcation line STARKLY appears between Hempstead and GC. The "infamous" 96th Street dividing line in Manhattan isn't even that harsh.

Old 05-10-2011, 12:14 PM
exm exm started this thread

3,721 posts, read 1,780,351 times
Thanks all for the replies. We are really in doubt now... The place is between College Pl and Tremont St

Old 05-10-2011, 12:57 PM

840 posts, read 2,446,057 times
i looked at the house, i'd advise against that location

Old 05-10-2011, 12:58 PM

330 posts, read 726,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
Thanks all for the replies. We are really in doubt now... The place is between College Pl and Tremont St
That's just a block or so from Clinton. If you are unsure take a walk or drive through the area and see how feel about it. Overall the chances that something bad will happen are to you if you decide to move there are extremely low and you may get a great deal on the house because of the location. The only way to be sure is look for yourself. If it makes you uncomfortable then don't do it, cause who wants to live somewhere that makes them uncomfortable? If it's not an issue for you, then go for it. But look first.

After a second thought it's actually a little further south that it's not too nice. More like Clinton and Wellington, still in Hempstead than Clinton and Meadow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island