Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 12:24 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,516,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGuy1202 View Post
The attic fan doesn't suck air out of the living space, it sucks air out of the attic space. Shouldn't be needed if your house has proper soffit/gable/ridge venting (most post-WWII stock plan and developer houses don't).
Uh what do you think happens when the fan blows all of the air out of the attic? It's just a vacuum up there? If you go up your eyes pop out of their socks ala Arnold in Total Recall?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 02:56 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,642,084 times
Paul Rosenvold of Huntington Station knows what he's doing and is an upstanding individual. A central air installer for many, many years.

We have a 3-ton Lenox unit and it's been fine for a number of years. Before the Lenox we had Carrier. Either one will do a good job.

Old 07-01-2012, 03:09 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,727,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGuy1202
The attic fan doesn't suck air out of the living space, it sucks air out of the attic space. Shouldn't be needed if your house has proper soffit/gable/ridge venting (most post-WWII stock plan and developer houses don't).
It doesn't suck. It creates air flow to cool the attic so the roof will last longer. Having proper vents without the fan is just doing the minimal basics.

As to the OP, get the 13 SEER as the tax advantage is not worth the time or money spent on a higher SEER. I prefer Rheem.

Old 07-01-2012, 03:28 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,151,464 times
Dawn sells...I'm thinking you may have a whole house can. If you can take a look see if there is anything connected to the fan.

A attic fan/ exhauster pulls outside air thru your vents and the exhausts it thru the fan. It basically pulls 80-90 deg outside air to remove the 130-140 degree attic air. Saves on roof life and cooling costs. I don't even need my ac on unless it's over 80.

Old 07-01-2012, 03:30 PM

And it does suck/pull air. You need to make sure your vents are clean and open, as always.

Old 09-07-2014, 11:58 AM

1 posts, read 910 times
OK I need help. I have been told I need to replace my 4 year old unit with a new one to the tune of $7400 installed. I am retired living on social security and this is a huge financial blow. I was told there was a leak in the system that they could not fix. They put in 4 lbs of Freon. They said they possibly could replace coils for $3000 but I might as well replace whole unit. Home is 1200 sf.
Two questions, could I try to find someone that could find the leak and repair it for a reasonable price or do I need to suck it up and replace unit?
Are Freon units being phased out and what is the replacement? I don't want to purchase something that will be obsolete in a couple of years.
Thanks for any suggestions.
PS one more thing ... is it better to go with a smaller independent company or one of the bigger ones that advertise all the time.

Old 09-07-2014, 03:19 PM

19,220 posts, read 17,072,760 times
Four years is not a long time, verify the warranty on the unit first possibly it is still covered, where did they say the leak is?
If it did need replacement shop around and see what's the best price,

Old 09-07-2014, 07:28 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,765,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokeinsunlakes View Post
OK I need help. I have been told I need to replace my 4 year old unit with a new one to the tune of $7400 installed. I am retired living on social security and this is a huge financial blow. I was told there was a leak in the system that they could not fix. They put in 4 lbs of Freon. They said they possibly could replace coils for $3000 but I might as well replace whole unit. Home is 1200 sf.
Two questions, could I try to find someone that could find the leak and repair it for a reasonable price or do I need to suck it up and replace unit?
Are Freon units being phased out and what is the replacement? I don't want to purchase something that will be obsolete in a couple of years.
PS one more thing ... is it better to go with a smaller independent company or one of the bigger ones that advertise all the time.
Like the previous poster said 4 years is nothing. It should still be under warranty. My 15 year old condenser just went and the replacement has a 10 year warranty on parts. Also if your air handler is only 4 years old you should be able to just replace the condenser with a matching one no need to replace the entire system. Yes R-22 refrigerant is going away and being replaced by R-410A. I was told by 2020 they will no longer make R-22 units so if say your air handler or condenser goes after that date you will have to replace the entire system. You may even have the newer refrigerant unit if it's only 4 years old you should confirm that as well.

Old 09-12-2014, 05:27 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,537,813 times
A High SEER units only make sense if you just leave the units on all the time and never open your windows. Usage differs greatly. Some people turn the A/C on in May and turn off in October. Other people just use it on humid days or heat waves.

Old 09-12-2014, 07:34 AM

The first thing you do is have someone else check over the unit. Do not tell them what the previous company told you. Let me know if you need a number of someone.

Keep us updated .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokeinsunlakes View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island