Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 03:23 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,474,894 times

Advertisements

Private School.
Private Rules.

Don't like it, too bad. So long as they don't diverge from state or federal laws its on them. You may or may not agree with it, which is your rigth, but there is no forcing people to change their views.

Old 05-14-2011, 04:19 PM

852 posts, read 1,443,310 times
I think that the whole argument of church teachings promoting one-man one-woman marriage and being against homosexuals engaging in relationships is silly to bring up to argue the school's stance. What does a prom have to do with marriage? I remember one girl in my class (many eons ago) chose to bring her older brother to my senior prom. It's a dance...that's it. Most couples go as friends, not potential sex partners or marriage partners.

*That being said, however, I do agree that private institutions should be able to set their own rules about these matters.

Old 05-14-2011, 04:32 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,807,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
Private School.
Private Rules.

Don't like it, too bad. So long as they don't diverge from state or federal laws its on them. You may or may not agree with it, which is your rigth, but there is no forcing people to change their views.

Ive met some really strict catholic parents over the years and Im sure they would be against 2 lesbians/gays attending a catholic school function especially if thier kids were going.

Old 05-14-2011, 04:50 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody516 View Post
I think that the whole argument of church teachings promoting one-man one-woman marriage and being against homosexuals engaging in relationships is silly to bring up to argue the school's stance. What does a prom have to do with marriage? I remember one girl in my class (many eons ago) chose to bring her older brother to my senior prom. It's a dance...that's it. Most couples go as friends, not potential sex partners or marriage partners.

*That being said, however, I do agree that private institutions should be able to set their own rules about these matters.
From the article I linked earlier:
Quote:
"Brother Gary Cregan, principal of the Roman Catholic school, said the decision was nothing personal - just a reflection of the school's religious tenets.

"Our Catholic faith specifies that marriage involve a man and a woman, and our policies on dating must reflect that," Cregan told MSNBC.com. "We mean no malice or disrespect."

People used to engage in dating to see if there was something more to build a possible relationship on, or to move on to a more suitable potential mate. Perhaps it is a bit archaic to look at it from that perspective in the day and age of booty calls and friends with benefits. None of us would ask for a ham sandwich at a Bar Mitzvah or serve bacon to our Muslim friends. Why is it acceptable for some to disrespect a tenet of the church which stems from the Bible?

Old 05-14-2011, 06:14 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,800,286 times
Sounds like it's time for "her" to call Chaz Bono...

Old 05-14-2011, 07:42 PM

22,187 posts, read 19,462,661 times
Its certainly discrimination, although I would have a bigger problem with this if it was a public school (such as what happened in Mississippi last year)

Old 05-14-2011, 08:45 PM

324 posts, read 335,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Its certainly discrimination, although I would have a bigger problem with this if it was a public school (such as what happened in Mississippi last year)
It isn't discrimination. The private school has every right to dictate behavior, which is what this is. That isn't discrimination, this is part of going to a private school. By the way, public schools can dictate which behavior is appropriate as well. Your sexual orientation is what it is, but you can't just do anything you want and use your "genetic makeup" as an excuse.

Good for St. Anthony's, as my alma mater they have my support 100%.

Old 05-14-2011, 10:03 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
How is it discrimination if a privately owned religious school sets rules based upon Biblical religious doctrine?

If a person is devout in their faith, they will not do something which violates their religion's core beliefs. The Brother in charge morally can not permit a lesbian to bring her ex-girlfriend as a date. Allowing that would be committing a sin in the eyes of his God.

As a nation we are expected to be tolerant of differences and accepting of diversity. If this were in a Muslim school, we would be expected to appreciate their beliefs. As a Catholic institution it is a different story -- bash away.

Old 05-15-2011, 01:28 AM

1,999 posts, read 4,996,363 times
Default they are taking care of this girl

The Catholic Church does not discriminate against homosexuals. "They must be accepted with respect, compassion, and sensitivity. Every sign of unjust discrimination in their regard should be avoided." The Catholic teaching on homosexuality is the only light in a world that pushes homosexuals towards the darkness of their own ruin. Here is the official Catholic teaching from the Catholic Magisterium.

Instead of pushing the homosexuals towards a life of promiscuity which leads to disease, fractured relationships and mental disorder, The Catholic Church rightly calls homosexuals to chastity. The Catholic Church is the only organization with the courage to oppose the ruling class edict which encourages promiscuity, it may be difficult to see in the sort term but Catholic teaching bears good fruit over the long term.

Here is the teaching
Quote:
The number of men and women who have deep-seated homosexual tendencies is not negligible. This inclination, which is objectively disordered, constitutes for most of them a trial. They must be accepted with respect, compassion, and sensitivity. Every sign of unjust discrimination in their regard should be avoided. These persons are called to fulfill God's will in their lives and, if they are Christians, to unite to the sacrifice of the Lord's Cross the difficulties they may encounter from their condition.

Homosexual persons are called to chastity. By the virtues of self-mastery that teach them inner freedom, at times by the support of disinterested friendship, by prayer and sacramental grace, they can and should gradually and resolutely approach Christian perfection.

Old 05-15-2011, 04:19 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,807,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
The Catholic Church does not discriminate against homosexuals. "They must be accepted with respect, compassion, and sensitivity. Every sign of unjust discrimination in their regard should be avoided." The Catholic teaching on homosexuality is the only light in a world that pushes homosexuals towards the darkness of their own ruin. Here is the official Catholic teaching from the Catholic Magisterium.

Instead of pushing the homosexuals towards a life of promiscuity which leads to disease, fractured relationships and mental disorder, The Catholic Church rightly calls homosexuals to chastity. The Catholic Church is the only organization with the courage to oppose the ruling class edict which encourages promiscuity, it may be difficult to see in the sort term but Catholic teaching bears good fruit over the long term.

Here is the teaching
the bible says homesexuality is wrong. i dont mind it, but just saying what the bible says.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island