Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2011, 02:05 PM

6 posts, read 21,570 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am thinking about moving to Long Beach; I love the neighborhood. I have two children : 12 and 7. My 7 year old was diagnosed with PDD and he needs special education services. I currently live in Valley Stream 24 but I am not very fond of their SPED program.
Here are my questions:
1. How is the special education program in Long Beach?
2. How is the middle and high schools?
3. What are the best special education programs in the South shore area?

Any input would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2011, 05:32 PM

929 posts, read 2,067,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momoftwo711 View Post
Hi,
I am thinking about moving to Long Beach; I love the neighborhood. I have two children : 12 and 7. My 7 year old was diagnosed with PDD and he needs special education services. I currently live in Valley Stream 24 but I am not very fond of their SPED program.
Here are my questions:
1. How is the special education program in Long Beach?
2. How is the middle and high schools?
3. What are the best special education programs in the South shore area?

Any input would be appreciated.
What form of PDD and to what extent?

Old 05-14-2011, 06:55 PM

Mild PDD but he needs a self-contained setting due to his impulsive behavior. That's actually the reason why I want to move. They can't handle him in Valley Stream 24 because they don't really have a special ed program that best suits him. We have been through a lot with that school and I am done.

Old 05-14-2011, 07:27 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,290,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momoftwo711 View Post
Mild PDD but he needs a self-contained setting due to his impulsive behavior. That's actually the reason why I want to move. They can't handle him in Valley Stream 24 because they don't really have a special ed program that best suits him. We have been through a lot with that school and I am done.
You should call the Long Beach SD and tell them exactly what your son needs and then they can tell you if they have it or not. When you say "self-contained" do you mean he needs his own classroom?

Old 05-14-2011, 09:34 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,688,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
You should call the Long Beach SD and tell them exactly what your son needs and then they can tell you if they have it or not. When you say "self-contained" do you mean he needs his own classroom?
Self-contained means a class consisting of students who all have a special education classification, housed in a mainstream school.

District 24's special ed program is not as good as it used to be. Not even sure if they still have the speech and language kindergarten any more. Long Beach has an extensive special ed program, although I can't tell you if it is "better" than 24. Although East Rockaway is a small district, they've got some good people there for autistic spectrum disorders and they have self-contained and inclusion models.

Old 05-15-2011, 12:23 PM

"District 24's special ed program is not as good as it used to be. Not even sure if they still have the speech and language kindergarten any more."
Coney,
They don't have the speech and language kindergarten anymore. They group k,1st, 2nd, and sometimes 3rd graders in one room and they call it a self-contained classroom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island