Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 06:35 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
Just a theory to throw out there, going on gut feeling, no formal research done...

Singles, childless couples and seniors may not get out to vote. Singles, especially younger ones have their hands full making their way in the world or may be too self absorbed to have the time or be bothered. Same for childless couples, seniors may not be able to get out to vote. Thus the population that least stands to benefit and arguably are the most negatively impacted by a budget passing don't vote.

People with children are much more apt to turn out to vote, also anyone in the education industry including district superintendents, principals, vice principals, teachers, bus drivers, janitors, grounds maintenance, etc. etc. will also be prone to voting. In addition, relatives of said people (their husbands or wives, voting aged children, brothers and sisters, parents, etc.) may get out the vote to support their loved ones. Someone in the education industry can be the tip of a voting iceberg.

The bottom line being people vote their self interests and motivation level for the most part. I think the first group of people do not have as much direct self interest and motivation, it's derivation would be more abstract thus harder to manifest even though the voting results could impact them to a larger degree.
You're absolutely right. And I'm sure a lot more seniors, especially, stayed home this year because the weather was bad. I know my ILs don't usually vote, but now that we are out of the district I'm not sure if they would make more of an effort to get out and vote "no".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 06:55 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,997,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEconomist View Post
Oh, the question of whether the balance is tipped in the school's favor is easily answered. They hold the vote at the school. It's like holding the presidential election at the Young Republican's HQ. Additionally, the people who vote are the one with the largest potential gain/loss.

When they threaten to cancel music and sports they get every parent with a child in one of those programs to jump up and vote. Especially on Long Island where so many parents use those after school programs to keep their kids busy while they come home from work.

That coupled with all the school employees who also live in the town and their family who rely on their income means that the average taxpayer has an uphill battle. Plus, they've had decades to rig the system so that the taxpayer has no choice but to vote for the budget, or else they get hit with the contingency budget and the school takes your money (reserve funds) and doesn't allow you to use it.
So many sweeping generalizations on this forum mostly making excuses for the lazy, busy or disinterested who don't vote. That's democracy. I had dinner last night with 5 other sets of parents. Of the six of us, half voted yes, half voted no. The discussion was pretty cordial and interesting. None of us thought it really made a difference in the world except that we like the new board. There goes the theory that no one with kids will vote no. There are plenty of knee jerk yes and no votes but mostly indifferent non-votes. The ones who bother to take an interest vote their conscience or personal interest.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:00 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,032,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
So many sweeping generalizations on this forum mostly making excuses for the lazy, busy or disinterested who don't vote. That's democracy. I had dinner last night with 5 other sets of parents. Of the six of us, half voted yes, half voted no. The discussion was pretty cordial and interesting. None of us thought it really made a difference in the world except that we like the new board. There goes the theory that no one with kids will vote no. There are plenty of knee jerk yes and no votes but mostly indifferent non-votes. The ones who bother to take an interest vote their conscience or personal interest.
Seriously, The hard liners were so sure that a dozen school budgets were going to go down and can't deal with the fact that they didn't...there has to be some conspiracy or extenuating circumstances. Isn't it just that more people understand the reason why taxes are going up and accept it than those who are on the other side?

Old 05-19-2011, 08:36 AM

131 posts, read 300,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
What about requesting an Absentee ballot for such instances?
I found out the Tuesday morning that I needed to be in Connecticut later that day. Never did an absentee ballot before and had no time to look into what's required to get one on the day of.

As another poster above stated, voting at the school is like voting at a political parties' headquarters and is an antiquated setup. Especially when you walk into the gym and see all of the hanging artwork and other examples of programs that the teacher's union threaten to cut first before, god forbid, they look into reducing any provisions of their Cadillac benefit plans.

Old 05-19-2011, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacci Balls View Post
I found out the Tuesday morning that I needed to be in Connecticut later that day. Never did an absentee ballot before and had no time to look into what's required to get one on the day of.

As another poster above stated, voting at the school is like voting at a political parties' headquarters and is an antiquated setup. Especially when you walk into the gym and see all of the hanging artwork and other examples of programs that the teacher's union threaten to cut first before, god forbid, they look into reducing any provisions of their Cadillac benefit plans.

Okay, for a second there I tried to take you seriously. Now an elementary school is a enemy headquarters. LOL

Old 05-19-2011, 09:27 AM

113 posts, read 129,505 times
Default Most schools had some kind program

that day to get parents in(who usually are more inclinded to vote YES). Some have art work display or something of that nature. After all when its time to vote it comes down to politics anyway. Whatever may be the reason if the budgets pass and people didn't go out to vote if they wanted to say YES or NO its their fault. Plus there is no organized group on the other side of this budget process to spread the word. See Central Islip just won by 9 votes and some others by small margin.

Bad layout can't copy and paste anymore. Too much work have to create an image.

Last edited by formyblog; 05-19-2011 at 09:33 AM.. Reason: Bad layout

Old 05-19-2011, 10:50 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,997,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Okay, for a second there I tried to take you seriously. Now an elementary school is a enemy headquarters. LOL
One of those odd instances where I agree w/ dman... in content AND tone!

Old 05-19-2011, 11:03 AM

131 posts, read 300,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Oh come on, you don't find it a little annoying that when you go to vote, schools display drawings from kids on the gym wall, some BS press release photos of events, and other items that the teacher's union claim will be axed if you do not vote their way? Don't you think teacher's would b*tch if voting were held off school premises and someone posted a photocopy showing how their property taxes doubled over the last nine years? The school is not enemy headquarters but, any voting venue is supposed to be neutral. You don't see republican/democratic political ads near the voting booth during the presidential vote (in fact, there are laws against doing such)...so, displaying tangible items that reinforce the "It's for the children" bullsh*t is a slight unfair advantage....which may change the minds of those who are on the fence.

Old 05-19-2011, 11:05 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times
Quote:
Oh come on, you don't find it a little annoying that when you go to vote, schools display drawings from kids on the gym wall, some BS press release photos of events, and other items that the teacher's union claim will be axed if you do not vote their way? Don't you think teacher's would b*tch if voting were held off school premises and someone posted a photocopy showing how their property taxes doubled over the last nine years? The school is not enemy headquarters but, any voting venue is supposed to be neutral. You don't see republican/democratic political ads near the voting booth during the presidential vote (in fact, there are laws against doing such)...so, displaying tangible items that reinforce the "It's for the children" bullsh*t is a slight unfair advantage....which may change the minds of those who are on the fence.
You're right! +5

Old 05-19-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:

You're in a school. They post things all the time, not only when they are tryign to get you pass the budget that squeezes more cash out of you. I didn't notice any of this at my polling place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island