Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 11:19 AM

131 posts, read 300,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
You're in a school. They post things all the time, not only when they are tryign to get you pass the budget that squeezes more cash out of you. I didn't notice any of this at my polling place.
Some schools put artwork in and around the voting machines. Think back to when you were in school...ever see any artwork/photos on the walls in the gym during school hours? Me neither. But, I have seen them on display (and since I_Love_LI_But agrees with me, I dont think I am the only one). Also, some kids have bake sales (not sure who the benefactor was but, it was likely school related) and I couldn't help but notice a few "accidentally" dropped "Save Our Schools" flyers where they should not have been.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 11:44 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacci Balls View Post
I found out the Tuesday morning that I needed to be in Connecticut later that day. Never did an absentee ballot before and had no time to look into what's required to get one on the day of.

As another poster above stated, voting at the school is like voting at a political parties' headquarters and is an antiquated setup. Especially when you walk into the gym and see all of the hanging artwork and other examples of programs that the teacher's union threaten to cut first before, god forbid, they look into reducing any provisions of their Cadillac benefit plans.
Our schools opened at 6 AM and polls closed at 9 PM in an effort to accommodate people who work non-conventional hours. I don't know if this is the case in other districts, but it does help out people who end up in situations such as you've described.

With regard to the student artwork -- the schools do have the artwork on display in all of the halls. It helps draw in more parents; I don't see it as an incentive to vote 'yes' to save this or that program. Some of the parents who are coerced by their children to go in and see the artwork might be voting 'no'.

Looking at the breakdown in voting in my school district, once again, the school which covers the $$$ real estate portions of the district received the most votes against the budget and also had the best voter turn out (30% of the total turnout.) Many people were unhappy with the teacher contract negotiation and the fact that two million saved this year is going to come due in spades a couple of years from now. Of course voting no isn't going to change this, but it is a symbolic, "We're mad as hell and we're not going to take it anymore."

http://www.threevillagecsd.org/Assets/District/budget_vote_tally_051711.pdf (broken link)

Old 05-19-2011, 11:57 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Some schools put artwork in and around the voting machines. Think back to when you were in school...ever see any artwork/photos on the walls in the gym during school hours? Me neither. But, I have seen them on display (and since I_Love_LI_But agrees with me, I dont think I am the only one). Also, some kids have bake sales (not sure who the benefactor was but, it was likely school related) and I couldn't help but notice a few "accidentally" dropped "Save Our Schools" flyers where they should not have been.
I think a more neutral area for the voting to take place in would be better, but in many places ALL voting takes place at area schools, so it might be hard to find a different venue for it.

Old 05-19-2011, 12:10 PM

Our voting took place in the auditorium, which is in the front of the school. No artwork was displayed there. Given the size of the district, the library and firehouses would be woefully small to accommodate the parking and turn out.

Old 05-19-2011, 04:06 PM

41 posts, read 46,835 times
Quote:
It's not always a matter of cro-bar'ing one's a*s off of the couch to vote. Yesterday, I was out of the state. Since the technology is there to prevent my having to vote in person, I was unable to cast my annual "no" vote. I'm sure other people also on vacations, business trips, etc. feel a little screwed by the archaic set up as well.
Its called an absentee ballot...and every resident (even those incarcerated) can cast their ballot if they are out of town. Try checking out your towns website...or district website for absentee ballots.........so funny you are! ......absentee ballots have always been a part of this "archaic system you complain about....but when given the technology to find these resources, you dont.

Old 05-19-2011, 05:15 PM

481 posts, read 1,059,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEconomist View Post
I wonder who developed this program of contingency funds and where it is written that they can only used them if the budget is approved?
I'd like to know more about it too, especially since they do it every year.

Old 05-19-2011, 06:26 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,507,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Most people have no idea what the school budget is all about. I had a conversation about this with a co-worker last year. She had no idea that school teachers get a pension. That was just the tip of the iceberg. Most people think if the budget fails their kids won't get a bus (against state law to take that away) or their sports will get taken away thereby reducing their chances of a scholarship. No surprise that the fail rate is no different than any other year. People are just waiting for the gubmint to solve all their problems. Gonna be a long wait.
Is that true? I remember when I was in elementary school the budget didn't pass one year and I didn't get a bus. Granted, that was a long ass time ago (Reagan was president) so it could have changed.

I voted NO... although it may as well have been a symbolic gesture - as anyone's NO vote typically is. I'm sure that even if my district's budget didn't pass it would be re-voted on a couple of times until it did get through, just like last year. Even if it somehow still failed after take 2, I don't really want to vote NO anyway. I don't want to vote against lesser-known sports and music programs, which is all they'll ever cut. I want to vote against our superintendent's $300k+/year salary and swanky bachelor pad inside one of the administration buildings. I want to vote against BS top-heavy collective bargaining agreements that are protected under state law - and above all else I want to vote against paying $10k+ a year in property taxes on a Levitt cape, but there isn't any realistic way to have a direct say in all of that through the ballot box.

If you voted - good for you. You are exercising your civic duty to vote for one of two crappy options in a rigged, piece of garbage system of "local" politics that is almost entirely ruled by the iron fist of outdated, self-destructive state legislation and union influence.

If you didn't vote - good for you. You are exercising your right as an American to not participate in the total charade of school budget votes - or you were just too tired/disinterested. Even though I DID vote, IMO either of those are just as noble as going down to your designating polling center and pulling a lever to vote for the options of either "pay us more" or "we'll ufck your kids".

I think I'll probably stay home next year.

Old 05-19-2011, 06:34 PM

57,221 posts, read 26,166,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corky101 View Post
I'd like to know more about it too, especially since they do it every year.
They are funds that they not used during prior years, but what I see is are some extremely large sums. It appears they are being used indirectly to offset current year increases.

If you budget for a new roof why wasn't that money used for a new roof? It appears they are using past years surplus to reduce the infrastructure budget, this way they can provide more funds for teachers salaries and benefits.

Some of these district contingency funds are several million dollars, that makes no sense. Contingency funds belong to the taxpayers, if they do not spend them they should be returned to reduce the tax rate. I can understand carrying over some funding but the size of some of these contingency funds is ridiculous.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:22 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,055,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEconomist View Post
Oh, the question of whether the balance is tipped in the school's favor is easily answered. They hold the vote at the school. It's like holding the presidential election at the Young Republican's HQ. Additionally, the people who vote are the one with the largest potential gain/loss.

When they threaten to cancel music and sports they get every parent with a child in one of those programs to jump up and vote. Especially on Long Island where so many parents use those after school programs to keep their kids busy while they come home from work.

That coupled with all the school employees who also live in the town and their family who rely on their income means that the average taxpayer has an uphill battle. Plus, they've had decades to rig the system so that the taxpayer has no choice but to vote for the budget, or else they get hit with the contingency budget and the school takes your money (reserve funds) and doesn't allow you to use it.

This does pose a problem, the threats of program cancellations is in essence extortion by default, and this whole business of a contingency fund being drawn on that may impact taxpayers to a greater extent than the budget passing creates a lesser of two evil "No Win" situation.

I heard a program on the radio that stated the importance of students doing well on tests, they stated older teachers focused more on the student learning something over test results. Anything from a school's level of aid or funding to it's very existence can hinge on test scores. And obviously private tutorial services sink or swim on increasing a students scores. Newer teachers and private tutors/companies that help students are training them to speed read and "skim over" content to extract just enough to answer questions or solve problems of the test, no deeper long term learning.

People complain about younger generations being apathetic, detached, narcissistic, no community spirit or desire to participate in the political process. But between the hopelessness of many political processes combined with encouragement of short term disposable gain over long term durable gain are we fostering these very qualities?

In addition, the brightest and most creative minds may eschew a carreer in teaching for not being able to stomach having to absorb and regurgitate state mandated curriculum, not wanting to get caught up in the "politics" of the career regarding teacher reviews, promotions, pleasing the right people,etc.

Whereas I am sure there are competent and dedicated teachers out there, this may create a teacher population as a whole that is more feckless in nature.

Hope this doesn't stray off the topic too far.

Old 05-20-2011, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
Is that true? I remember when I was in elementary school the budget didn't pass one year and I didn't get a bus. Granted, that was a long ass time ago (Reagan was president) so it could have changed.

I voted NO... although it may as well have been a symbolic gesture - as anyone's NO vote typically is. I'm sure that even if my district's budget didn't pass it would be re-voted on a couple of times until it did get through, just like last year. Even if it somehow still failed after take 2, I don't really want to vote NO anyway. I don't want to vote against lesser-known sports and music programs, which is all they'll ever cut. I want to vote against our superintendent's $300k+/year salary and swanky bachelor pad inside one of the administration buildings. I want to vote against BS top-heavy collective bargaining agreements that are protected under state law - and above all else I want to vote against paying $10k+ a year in property taxes on a Levitt cape, but there isn't any realistic way to have a direct say in all of that through the ballot box.

If you voted - good for you. You are exercising your civic duty to vote for one of two crappy options in a rigged, piece of garbage system of "local" politics that is almost entirely ruled by the iron fist of outdated, self-destructive state legislation and union influence.

If you didn't vote - good for you. You are exercising your right as an American to not participate in the total charade of school budget votes - or you were just too tired/disinterested. Even though I DID vote, IMO either of those are just as noble as going down to your designating polling center and pulling a lever to vote for the options of either "pay us more" or "we'll ufck your kids".

I think I'll probably stay home next year.
I wanted to rep you, but I have to spread some more.

I, too, am a symbolic no voter for the reasons you cite. When IG was threatened, I received multiple impassioned emails on why it should be saved. My friend spoke before the BoE pleading the case of the IG students. I thought to myself -- if IG were eliminated and the sudents are sent back to their 'home' schools, they would be absorbed into existing classes and the two additional teaching positions could be eliminated. As it is there is a pull out enrichment program for gifted students already within my child's elementary school.

We are mandated to mainstream special education students within the classroom. Isn't IG a form of special education -- just the opposite end of the street? Why are they self contained? Instead we have additional teachers for IG and a small army of aides for the mainstreamed special ed. How much more does this cost the taxpayers as opposed to the old, pre mandate era when special ed was self-contained?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island