Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 05:27 AM

57,286 posts, read 26,206,502 times

Advertisements

Well I guess the voters have spoken, I have to wonder what the other roughly 85% of the voters are thinking. I guess they are expecting someone else to solve their problems.

Willliam Floyd approved with a 12% increase in taxes is rather stunning, also the budget defeat in Locust Valley.

Voters Approve All But 5 Long Island School Budgets | Long Island Press
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2011, 05:38 AM

629 posts, read 1,701,137 times
One should not be surprised, the majority of lemmings who vote yes every year are only government educated themselves.

Old 05-18-2011, 05:39 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,953,860 times
The people have spoken with what a 96 % pass rate..wow. With all the complaining espically on this site, wouldn't one think more would fail ? Formylog..what do you think?

Last edited by BigMike50; 05-18-2011 at 06:08 AM..

Old 05-18-2011, 06:16 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,159,566 times
Your'e right BigMike. The people have spoken. So for all of you who didnt vote please dont come here and complain about the taxes or increases!

Old 05-18-2011, 06:39 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Most people have no idea what the school budget is all about. I had a conversation about this with a co-worker last year. She had no idea that school teachers get a pension. That was just the tip of the iceberg. Most people think if the budget fails their kids won't get a bus (against state law to take that away) or their sports will get taken away thereby reducing their chances of a scholarship. No surprise that the fail rate is no different than any other year. People are just waiting for the gubmint to solve all their problems. Gonna be a long wait.

Old 05-18-2011, 06:53 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,481,082 times
In certain situations, people get exactly what they deserve. They're taxing their kids off the island or into the basement.

Old 05-18-2011, 07:06 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,997,960 times
I have been vocal and irate about the system, however it made no sense to vote no this year in my district. The board made the most efforts I've ever seen to curb spending and cut costs; finally replaced the $383k/yr super for a $225k one, filled consultant positions with permanent hires at lower salaries, cut enrichment programs, axed some teachers. The increase in spending is 100% for contracted employee health benefits and pension which the current board's hands are tied to do anything about. I like this board and 3 incumbents ran again unopposed. They are frothing at the mouth to negotiate the next contracts. I have a modicum of faith in this bunch not to give away the store. They really seem representative of the people. An ex-cop and a member of a citizen's group to lower taxes that has been a thorn in the side of the board all along. Now he is on the board. I feel we're at least moving in the right direction. A contingency would have still driven up taxes just slightly less. They did their reasonable best with a broken system. I don't hand out praise very often but in this case I am satisfied at the board's efforts. I'm guessing this is what happened around the island.

Old 05-18-2011, 07:12 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,520,065 times
^^ Yes, exactly. Voting down the school budget would not have accomplished anything viz. teacher salaries and benefits, nor would it have consolidated districts, cut duplicative administration, or any of the other problems facing Long Island. It's a reactive measure designed to make people feel better but in the end wouldn't change a thing.

Old 05-18-2011, 07:13 AM

131 posts, read 300,234 times
They need to improve the archaic voting process. Many people do not vote since they see it as a hassle (or it may not be possible) to have to drive down after work to their local elem/jr/high school to cast their ballots. Also, people without kids in the system may have difficulty finding the exact place to vote and are never sent reminders of when voting day is.

There is no reason why voting could not be done over the web. When this finally becomes available, then we will have a higher voter participation. Then, we'll see how people really feel about being taxed to death so our schools can have 8 vice principals each and other waste to line the teacher's unions pockets.

Old 05-18-2011, 07:18 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacci Balls View Post
They need to improve the archaic voting process. Many people do not vote since they see it as a hassle (or it may not be possible) to have to drive down after work to their local elem/jr/high school to cast their ballots. Also, people without kids in the system may have difficulty finding the exact place to vote and are never sent reminders of when voting day is.

There is no reason why voting could not be done over the web. When this finally becomes available, then we will have a higher voter participation. Then, we'll see how people really feel about being taxed to death so our schools can have 8 vice principals each and other waste to line the teacher's unions pockets.
It took my wife and I less than ten minutes to vote, and there were signs all over the place saying that a budget vote was coming. You can find out your polling place in about 5 minutes by calling the school district. If a person can't be bothered to go through those simple steps, then they probably shouldn't vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island