U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 03:45 PM

41 posts, read 18,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
From Newsday Mobile, for all to read:

Top Stories Item

Now we "don't need" the tax cap! LMAO!

Yeah right! Why are they AFRAID of the tax cap?

My district's increase was within the proposed tax cap target of 2% (1.97%), but still "hogged it" because if Nassau County raised taxes, they would only get 0.3%.

We still need a tax cap, with appropriate spending controls on school district unionized and high-level personnel.
Why are you LMAO??? This is not a joke.......Taxpayers DONT want to give up local control....and are willing to pay for it....tax cap or not... I get the distinct feeling you have no idea what goes on in a school...have no children in school and are just spouting off. Back-off of our schools. Direct your frustration in a different direction; specifically at the THE TOP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 04:07 PM

15,524 posts, read 15,214,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massartmom View Post
Why are you LMAO??? This is not a joke.......Taxpayers DONT want to give up local control....and are willing to pay for it....tax cap or not... I get the distinct feeling you have no idea what goes on in a school...have no children in school and are just spouting off. Back-off of our schools. Direct your frustration in a different direction; specifically at the THE TOP.
Aim your frustration and maniacal posts in a different direction than me because I don't put up with rude, nasty, over the top, and aggressive behavior towards myself, written or otherwise.

That's what IGNORE is for here on CD and I will use it for people who direct the above-referenced behaviors towards me when posting. Bye bye until you can discuss the matter like an adult!

Old 05-19-2011, 04:12 PM

924 posts, read 1,045,208 times
Quote:
Local control? What control do they have? They control a small fraction of the budget. If teachers are so interested in giving taxpayers control then why don't you make the teacher's contract a referendum to be voted on by the voting public?

Oh, because your idea of "local control" is keeping things the status quo where the teacher's unions have spent countless years and millions in campaign contributions to pull the rug up from under the taxpayers.

Old 05-19-2011, 04:15 PM

15,524 posts, read 15,214,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEconomist View Post
Local control? What control do they have? They control a small fraction of the budget. If teachers are so interested in giving taxpayers control then why don't you make the teacher's contract a referendum to be voted on by the voting public?

Oh, because your idea of "local control" is keeping things the status quo where the teacher's unions have spent countless years and millions in campaign contributions to pull the rug up from under the taxpayers.
You got it! Although I think your message will be lost on the person who lets their explosive anger and raging hormones do the posting.

Old 05-19-2011, 06:09 PM

8,681 posts, read 6,953,000 times
Quote:

Yep.

Too bad the truth hurts, the truth being that the people who scream loudest and longest on here comprise a minority of voters.

What can you do? Be glad you're grounded in reality.

Old 05-19-2011, 06:32 PM

324 posts, read 90,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
Yep.

Too bad the truth hurts, the truth being that the people who scream loudest and longest on here comprise a minority of voters.
With voter turnout at < 20%, how can anyone with half a brain believe this to be true?

Old 05-19-2011, 07:01 PM

7,897 posts, read 2,380,860 times
Quote:
There is no local control, blame whoever you want but the system just is not working, take a look at Central Islip that granted the teachers 9% annual increases for 10 years. I most certainly blame the silent majority, but a system that elects BOE's that have no financial sense is doomed. The politicians see that companies are leaving NY, vacant, boarded up homes, high unemployment. It is obvious that this system with it's 100's of government districts is out of control.

Old 05-19-2011, 08:26 PM

35 posts, read 55,621 times
The Long Island school budget vote is like blackmail. Its pass the budget and your taxes go up $300 and if you dont pass the budget they go up $200 and then we cut every extracurricular activity out, driver's ed, etc.. Lets see I already pay 10,000 in school taxes, so it goes up $300 and we keep all programs, or $200 and things get cut. I guess the 10K I'm already paying isn't good enough. LI school budget vote is just pure blackmail.

Old 05-20-2011, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABACAB View Post
With voter turnout at < 20%, how can anyone with half a brain believe this to be true?
What is really that high? I thought it was well below 5% just by some rough math.

Old 05-20-2011, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankjrinaz View Post
The Long Island school budget vote is like blackmail. Its pass the budget and your taxes go up $300 and if you dont pass the budget they go up $600 and then we cut every extracurricular activity out, driver's ed, etc.. Lets see I already pay 10,000 in school taxes, so it goes up $300 and we keep all programs, or $600 and things get cut. I guess the 10K I'm already paying isn't good enough. LI school budget vote is just pure blackmail.
Fixed!

Most of the contingency budgets would actually cost the taxpayers more, because someone gave the keys to the reserve funds to the teachers union.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island