Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 03:53 PM

5 posts, read 6,876 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forums and was hoping the community could help me with my next move in life. My company is sending me to Long Island, NY for 4 months (During the Summer) as part of a training program.

I will be working out of Commack, NY within Long Island. I know the action is in "the city" but was looking for a place within LI that could offer a good night out if I chose to keep it local on occasion.

I have a friend of a friend that lives in LI and recommended Long Beach or Rockville Centre. He said Long Beach would be the best scene for nightlife but because of traffic in the summer he thinks it would be best to live at Rockville Centre since it has a good bar scene and I could always take the Rail Road to the beach.

Was his assessment a good one? Hope you can help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 04:21 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,990,056 times
If you're working in Commack, I'd live in Huntington Village. Action is centered around the intersection of 110 and 25A.

RVC is like 30 miles from Commack. Huntington is only 8miles, maybe 9.

Old 05-19-2011, 05:00 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,680,436 times
Default A map of the Hamlet of Huntington in the Town of Huntington, Suffolk County

K Rock XP, I second Huntington Village; but, it is important to know that there are 3 "Huntingtons" (from smallest to largest, in order of acreage):

1. There is the Hamlet of Huntington (whose "downtown" commercial district is colloquially referred to as Huntington Village);

2. There is the "Huntington, NY 11743" ZIP Code postal zone, and it includes the Hamlet of Huntington and parts of 2 villages (municipal corporations) and 6 other hamlets (unincorporated areas) within its service area; and,

3. There is the Town of Huntington, and it includes 4 villages and 15 hamlets as well as the "Huntington, NY 11743" ZIP Code postal zone and all or parts of 11 other ZIP Code postal zones, within its borders.

A map of the Hamlet of Huntington in the Town of Huntington, Suffolk County:

The Hamlet of Huntington has a different border than does the "Huntington, NY 11743" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Huntington, NY 11743" mailing address and not be in the Hamlet of Huntington and a place can have other than a "Huntington, NY 11743" mailing address and be in the Hamlet of Huntington): places that have a "Huntington, NY 11743" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Huntington are in the Hamlet of West Hills, the Hamlet of Halesite, the Village of Huntington Bay, the Village of Lloyd Harbor, the Hamlet of Cold Spring Harbor, the Hamlet of Centerport, the Hamlet of Greenlawn, the Hamlet of Elwood, the Hamlet of Huntington Station and the Hamlet of Dix Hills; and, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of Huntington with a "Cold Spring Harbor, NY 11724", "Huntington Station, NY 11746", "Greenlawn, NY 11740" and "Centerport, NY 11721" mailing address.

Old 05-19-2011, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post
If you're working in Commack, I'd live in Huntington Village. Action is centered around the intersection of 110 and 25A.

RVC is like 30 miles from Commack. Huntington is only 8miles, maybe 9.
Thanks for the insight. I'll add Huntington Village to my list of prospective areas.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:01 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
There's no need to go a minimum of 30 minutes to RVC when you can go 10 minutes to Huntington. Personally prefer Huntington to RVC although I grew up in HUntington so I guess I'm biased.

Old 05-19-2011, 10:23 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,150,229 times
With training in Commack, Huntington is THE choice

Next question, does your company provide housing? Short term rentals are almost impossible to come by on Long Island - unless you stay in a Hotel of course, or at something like one of the Marriott Residence Inns.

Old 05-19-2011, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
With training in Commack, Huntington is THE choice

Next question, does your company provide housing? Short term rentals are almost impossible to come by on Long Island - unless you stay in a Hotel of course, or at something like one of the Marriott Residence Inns.
Only reason I was considering Rockville Centre was because it will keep me closer to other employees from my company as well the beach and shorten my train ride to the city.

Unfortunately, they aren't assisting with housing. They're just paying for my flight and transporting my car up north and back down south when the program is over. They gave us a few resources to reach out to but they were no help at all. One extended stay hotel told me I would have to pay $3K a month (yes a month and that didn't include WiFi, lol) for a Queen Suite. I called a few Corporate Housing places and they weren't helpful either. They quoted $3K and told me to get 2 other roommates so I could split the rent and they would try and find us a house in LI to live in. Seems like they're skimming money off the top and paying the land lord the rent each month.

So now I've turned to Craigslist to see what Sublets or Furnished rentals I can find in RVC, Long Beach, and Huntington Village (hasn't been easy). My back up plan is a cousin that lives in Floral Park, NY. He offered me his basement for free. Depending on what I can find in the next few weeks will dictate where I live.

Even being in Floral Park doesn't bother me. Living in Miami, I've grown accustomed to 30-40 min drives to get anywhere. I am also assuming that in the morning I'd be driving further into LI while others are headed to the City and on my way home the reverse would be true. I figure that will help in regards to "expected traffic"

I welcome any feedback, other towns, and insight. You guys have already been extremely helpful. Thank you for that, it is greatly appreciated.

Old 05-20-2011, 12:14 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,150,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K Rock XP View Post
Only reason I was considering Rockville Centre was because it will keep me closer to other employees from my company as well the beach and shorten my train ride to the city.

Unfortunately, they aren't assisting with housing. They're just paying for my flight and transporting my car up north and back down south when the program is over. They gave us a few resources to reach out to but they were no help at all. One extended stay hotel told me I would have to pay $3K a month (yes a month and that didn't include WiFi, lol) for a Queen Suite. I called a few Corporate Housing places and they weren't helpful either. They quoted $3K and told me to get 2 other roommates so I could split the rent and they would try and find us a house in LI to live in. Seems like they're skimming money off the top and paying the land lord the rent each month.

So now I've turned to Craigslist to see what Sublets or Furnished rentals I can find in RVC, Long Beach, and Huntington Village (hasn't been easy). My back up plan is a cousin that lives in Floral Park, NY. He offered me his basement for free. Depending on what I can find in the next few weeks will dictate where I live.

Even being in Floral Park doesn't bother me. Living in Miami, I've grown accustomed to 30-40 min drives to get anywhere. I am also assuming that in the morning I'd be driving further into LI while others are headed to the City and on my way home the reverse would be true. I figure that will help in regards to "expected traffic"

I welcome any feedback, other towns, and insight. You guys have already been extremely helpful. Thank you for that, it is greatly appreciated.

Hmmmm - I have another idea. Will send you a DM

Old 05-20-2011, 01:20 AM

1 posts, read 1,692 times
I am considering moving to Roslyn Heights. The reason for this move is I got a job offer in NYC, and heard that Roslyn Heights had good schools, and was a short train ride into the city. But I have also heard mixed things about the town. I have heard everything from the town is great to the town and people are snotty, materialistic, snobby etc... But before I move I would like to know what the town and its people are really like and see if I should consider other towns on Long Island.

Old 05-20-2011, 05:39 AM

87 posts, read 174,874 times
Summer time rentals by the beach or in Long Beach are through the roof.
Hug Real Estate Point Lookout, Long Island New York (NY) 11569
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island