Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 06:23 PM

102 posts, read 297,031 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to LI and need to find the best towns and school districts in central Suffolk County. We are attracted to the following towns: Farmingville, Centereach, Holtsville, Lake Grove, Selden, the Babylons. The school districts recommended to us were Middle Country, Miller Place, Sachem, Smithtown and Lindenhurst. We are looking for objective opinions, please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 08:16 PM

407 posts, read 828,372 times
I grew up on Long Island! I grew up on the south shore and now live on the north shore. Out of the towns you listed Holtsville, Lake Grove are much better then Farmingville area. My father lived in Farmingville for several years and it became flooded with immigrants looking for work. I personally wouldn't recommend that area if you have a young family. Farmingville is part of the Sachem school district, but there are many nicer areas that go to Sachem that are much nicer then Farmingville. Sachem is a huge school district! Smithtown area is beautiful, don't know much about the school district but am there quiet often to do some shopping.

Out of all of the towns you listed Miller Place is probably my favorite. Its located on the north shore. Off of 25A there is a nice park, plenty of shopping. There is a CVS, grocery store, Starbucks, nice little shopping center. If you can find a affordable place north of 25A its really quiet and it be great for the family. There is even lots of beaches along the sound where you'd be close enough to walk or a short car ride down the road. I know some friends that went to the Miller Place school district and never had a problem.

I'd also recommend Yaphank area, exit 67 off of I-495. Its quiet along Main Street, theres a community Christmas parade every december. Always decorated for the holidays. Nice little park on the pond. Its part of Longwood school district, that is where I went and had no problems. Was involved with so many activities! It's really diverse and many different kinds of groups with many different kinds of people. I'd personally recommend it! Hope this helps a little! Good Luck!

Old 05-23-2011, 08:21 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,140,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XL600R View Post
We are relocating to LI and need to find the best towns and school districts in central Suffolk County. We are attracted to the following towns: Farmingville, Centereach, Holtsville, Lake Grove, Selden, the Babylons. The school districts recommended to us were Middle Country, Miller Place, Sachem, Smithtown and Lindenhurst. We are looking for objective opinions, please.

Your budget will have an impact on your ultimate options/selections. Having that information (at least a range) would make it easier for us to give you more meaningful input.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:24 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,699,824 times
Lake Grove, Miller Place, Babylon Village, Smithtown would be my preferences.

What's your budget and where will you be commuting to?

Old 05-24-2011, 06:36 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,404,637 times
Stonybrook is a very nice place too. But as has been said. Whats your budget?

Old 05-24-2011, 07:18 AM

311 posts, read 1,019,247 times
A lot of people here will give opinions on towns they don't even live in. If you want to know more about Centereach, PM me, and I will tell you the good and the bad.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:27 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,670,127 times
Default In case you are unfamiliar with the local geography

XL600R, in case you are unfamiliar with the local geography, I've sent you an explanation of the very, very confusing geography of "Lawn Guyland" as a DM (Direct Message).

Old 05-24-2011, 07:32 AM

400 posts, read 738,163 times
I've been living in Selden for the past 28 years and love it. My three kids all grew up in Middle Country Schools and are doing well. Selden/Centereach is also proud of having a fantastic, huge library with tons of community resources. We're 5 miles from the Smithhaven Mall and close to several colleges and universities. We're also equidistant from north and south shore beaches, which are easy to get to. There are also great public pools in Centereach and Holtsville.

Is there anything in particular you'd like to know?

Old 05-24-2011, 07:42 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,026,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XL600R View Post

Can't really give good advice without knowing your budget.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:51 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,333,131 times
From your list I would consider Smithtown, Lake Grove and Holtsville, in that order.
Smithtown.... Good choices nearby for everyday shopping, grocery etc. and schools are good.... but taxes are over the roof top.
Lake Grove.... nice middle ground between shopping, schools and taxes (separate village tax in areas).
Holtsville.... Not much choice for shopping, but schools are good and you are further east.

The rest.... I am not saying are bad, I just don't know enough to give any opinion !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island