Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 06:58 AM

101 posts, read 134,271 times

Advertisements

Uh, I think its the smart ones that are leaving.Most of the problems are due to no one wanting to leave because of family /relatives. Or they would have left too. Plus as long as we keep getting LEgal and Illegal people moving in the population is relatively stable--and Crammed . There are states twice as big as NY with populations less than long island not including queens or NYC. Unless you work or go to school its just not fun living here and throw in the crummy winter if you are retired you end up sitting in the house going now what do we do. Most of our green belt trails are choked with foreign invasive plants taking over but thats ok since it hides all the plastic ****. It needs a good burn to get back our native grasses and plants for a more diverse habitat.Most every lake or bay is polluted and impacted from our cultural habits yet all we can preach is more jobs.For who--more people coming in! This place is a losing battle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 07:19 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,345,145 times
BYE.

Old 05-25-2011, 07:29 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,953,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
I've been hearing about this flight since i'm 10. Still plenty of successful people here though. I guess all the losers are the ones leaving.

I agree Only the smart ones are willing to pay 10K in taxes on a postage stamp lot.. BTW where's crook's been to back you up

Old 05-25-2011, 07:45 AM

195 posts, read 310,589 times
Houses are more expensive here because a tornado won't come along and wipe it out..plus we are on an island..how luxurious is that!. I'm staying put even though i might have to live in coram and drive an hour to work. Our parents have to help us raise our future kids. even out of state day care would be unaffordable.

Old 05-25-2011, 07:50 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
It's about the math. If you have good income, you take a look at if you could get jobs where they have new houses for 250K, what they would pay, and how much you end up with after the fact. You also need to take into account job stability in those other places.

I'm married to a teacher and I have a decent job in a growing company..if we moved someplace like, say, where Mike50 lives, both of us would take a pay cut and my wife could laid off in a heartbeat....it would be too big a risk. So, even though with what we have in the bank we could put over 20% down and afford a mortgage easily, long term the number still don't work out much better for us if you take all things into account.

If our only concern was making sure we had a 3000 sq foot place to live, then we'd move, as that is out of our reach here. You don't need that to be happy.

Old 05-25-2011, 07:58 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,953,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
It's about the math. If you have good income, you take a look at if you could get jobs where they have new houses for 250K, what they would pay, and how much you end up with after the fact. You also need to take into account job stability in those other places.

I'm married to a teacher and I have a decent job in a growing company..if we moved someplace like, say, where Mike50 lives, both of us would take a pay cut and my wife could laid off in a heartbeat....it would be too big a risk. So, even though with what we have in the bank we could put over 20% down and afford a mortgage easily, long term the number still don't work out much better for us if you take all things into account.

If our only concern was making sure we had a 3000 sq foot place to live, then we'd move, as that is out of our reach here. You don't need that to be happy.

I can agree with some of what you post. Happiness is a state of mind

Why do you constantly complain about civil servants salaries and taxes

Civil servants make more on the Island then anywhere else is because "you take a look at if you could get jobs where they have new houses for 250K, what they would pay, and how much you end up with after the fact"

Sometimes, instead of complaining all the time....one could answer their own questions

Old 05-25-2011, 08:04 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,029,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indiana515 View Post
Houses are more expensive here because a tornado won't come along and wipe it out..plus we are on an island..how luxurious is that!. I'm staying put even though i might have to live in coram and drive an hour to work. Our parents have to help us raise our future kids. even out of state day care would be unaffordable.
You've heard of hurricanes haven't you?

NOAA Predicts Above Normal Hurricane Season in 2011, Over $300 Billion in Potential Property Storm Surge Exposure in Ten East Coast U.S. Cities - World Property Channel Global News Center

Old 05-25-2011, 08:18 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,336,372 times
OP....

Have you considered looking into foreclosures ? You might get a good bargain. Foreclosures are making up more and more of the sales these days on long island. As someone said earlier, current owners will not sell for a loss and try to hold out as much as they can.... they will probably run the house into a foreclosure....

Watch for trends in foreclosure and try to find out about lis pendens.
Long Island Index: Housing Affordability

Old 05-25-2011, 08:32 AM

29 posts, read 50,213 times
Quote:
I've been hearing about this flight since i'm 10. Still plenty of successful people here though. I guess all the losers are the ones leaving.
Yup agreed, there is def lot of money here...people who have banked 15-30 years ago, and are in there 50s and 60s, starting to go gray on the sides a bit, in a paid off house worth $2m sipping margaritas by the pool in the backyard. Oh and a Mercedes financed with last years tax return in the driveway. Younger people who want that same opportunity are doing it in other places where the market is easier to get into. So, I don't think its a question of loosers leaving....that's the provincial attitude prevalent on LI speaking.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:43 AM
Noc

1,435 posts, read 2,069,985 times
Quote:
Or staying depending on what your stance is. Mortgage goes down yet property taxes go up while services get cut. I was telling my wife the other day if this pattern kept up at it's current rate by the time I pay off my mortgage my property tax would be what my mortgage used to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island