Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 12:47 AM

1,999 posts, read 4,994,339 times

Advertisements

The prices in Pathmark absolutely trounce the rip-off prices and poor selection at Wal-Mart. A few weeks ago my mother-in-law from out of town USA was in town and forced me to shop and Wal-Mart because she was buying and this is the only store backwater Americans are indoctrinated to shop at. Thanks for the groceries mom but geez could the quality be any worse? Bread expiring that day, only one kind of cat litter that absorbs one little feline tinckle and it turns to Alabama urine mud. Not only does Wal-Mart lack in quality and selection but the prices rip you off too; the place does not extend sales like pathmark.

Stores like Pathmark are going to chop those prices down to half off, Wal-Mart doesn't do that. With Wal-Mart the store is so fricking big that the backwater Americans invariably get lost in there and wander into some other aisle. When these people wander Wal-Mart makes their big bucks. They go in for a loaf and bread and milk and end up checking out with some sweatpants with nascar on the butt or a big screen TV for their toddlers bedroom along with a 118 pack of Mountain Dew for the baby bottle.

All the talk about low prices is pure humbug; it is all marketing; it is a shame that people are not perceptive enough to look past that. It is like NIKE. Their secret to taking over the sneaker business is not quality but sweat shops reducing labor cost and then using the margin on marketing. Wal-Mart is the same, huge store, sweat shop workers and drive the comperition out of business. It is too bad people are so darn receptive to marketing, it makes them accept so much crap in their lives like the cancer that is Wal-Mart.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matzah Pizza View Post
it seems like the unions are killing them. they cant afford to keep low prices and high paying employees.

I noticed pathmark was in trouble when they downsized thier circulars and they didnt even advertise items in thier own stores. for example, I buy taster choise gormet and it costs about $10.59 a bottle. I grabbed one the other day and it was HALF OFF! I paid $5.29 for it. it wasnt in the circular nor was it advertised on the shelf tag. I walked out with 7 containers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 04:38 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,806,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
The prices in Pathmark absolutely trounce the rip-off prices and poor selection at Wal-Mart. A few weeks ago my mother-in-law from out of town USA was in town and forced me to shop and Wal-Mart because she was buying and this is the only store backwater Americans are indoctrinated to shop at. Thanks for the groceries mom but geez could the quality be any worse? Bread expiring that day, only one kind of cat litter that absorbs one little feline tinckle and it turns to Alabama urine mud. Not only does Wal-Mart lack in quality and selection but the prices rip you off too; the place does not extend sales like pathmark.

Stores like Pathmark are going to chop those prices down to half off, Wal-Mart doesn't do that. With Wal-Mart the store is so fricking big that the backwater Americans invariably get lost in there and wander into some other aisle. When these people wander Wal-Mart makes their big bucks. They go in for a loaf and bread and milk and end up checking out with some sweatpants with nascar on the butt or a big screen TV for their toddlers bedroom along with a 118 pack of Mountain Dew for the baby bottle.

All the talk about low prices is pure humbug; it is all marketing; it is a shame that people are not perceptive enough to look past that. It is like NIKE. Their secret to taking over the sneaker business is not quality but sweat shops reducing labor cost and then using the margin on marketing. Wal-Mart is the same, huge store, sweat shop workers and drive the comperition out of business. It is too bad people are so darn receptive to marketing, it makes them accept so much crap in their lives like the cancer that is Wal-Mart.

walmart rip off? I paid $3.60 for a gallon of milk yesterday at walmart where as pathmark wanted $4.40. how is walmart a rip off? fact: pathmark's sale prices are the everyday low prices at walmart.

Old 05-31-2011, 12:06 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,499,271 times
Quote:
it seems like the unions are killing them. they cant afford to keep low prices and high paying employees.

I noticed pathmark was in trouble when they downsized thier circulars and they didnt even advertise items in thier own stores. for example, I buy taster choise gormet and it costs about $10.59 a bottle. I grabbed one the other day and it was HALF OFF! I paid $5.29 for it. it wasnt in the circular nor was it advertised on the shelf tag. I walked out with 7 containers.
Dont blame the working man in unions.

Blame the criminals at Walmart who thwart any attempt to for unions in the name of profits and greed.

Old 05-31-2011, 12:27 PM

732 posts, read 1,734,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
The prices in Pathmark absolutely trounce the rip-off prices and poor selection at Wal-Mart.
I agree with your anti-Walmart sentiment - their prices aren't that good and their selection is Moderator cut: language removed Target is much better for the grocery selection, and their prices are competitive with Walmart.

However, Pathmark and Waldbaums are pretty overpriced, and I would say Shoprite and Stop & Shop have better prices.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 05-31-2011 at 08:05 PM..

Old 05-31-2011, 12:42 PM

2,361 posts, read 1,751,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoleModel View Post
That's from February.

THANK you! I was wondering if anyone would notice that. Those stores in the news story? Already well closed.

Next up in current events -

Color TV - Fad or Necessity?

FM Radio - Do we need another band?

Long Island to Unveil New 631 Area Code.

Old 05-31-2011, 01:33 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,005,152 times
Quote:
That's what happens when Germans run a business - they run it right into the ground. Julia must be rolling over in her tomb.

Old 05-31-2011, 04:00 PM

Quote:
I agree with your anti-Walmart sentiment - their prices aren't that good and their selection is poor. Target is much better for the grocery selection, and their prices are competitive with Walmart.

However, Pathmark and Waldbaums are pretty overpriced, and I would say Shoprite and Stop & Shop have better prices.
i beg to differ, thier food prices are fantastic. not a huge selection but its dam cheaper than all the rest of the supermarkets.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 05-31-2011 at 08:05 PM..

Old 05-31-2011, 08:50 PM

732 posts, read 1,734,561 times
Quote:
i beg to differ, thier food prices are fantastic. not a huge selection but its dam cheaper than all the rest of the supermarkets.
It's cheaper but not significantly cheap enough to deal with all the trash and lack of selection.

Old 06-01-2011, 04:34 AM

Quote:
It's cheaper but not significantly cheap enough to deal with all the trash and lack of selection.

i dont mind, i get to shop for other household items while im at walmart.

Old 06-01-2011, 05:26 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,970,654 times
I don't want to get my food the same place I get my clothes, television, and motor oil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: