Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 05:33 PM

2 posts, read 7,929 times

Advertisements

Good Day,

I have been a ghost on this forum for many years and now I have a question.

My husband and I and our cat moved to Long Island NY after he became disabled due to a brain tumor condition that is reoccurring. We wanted to be close to his family in Wading River.

We have been here for 8 months on a month to month lease. We are on a fixed income so Long Island seems incredibly expensive to us being from a rural area of western PA.

We have been looking ever since moving to Wading River for a larger apartment without noisy upstairs people. We rent a split level basement apartment currently. I found a gorgeous apartment in Sayville for the same amount of money we are paying here for 3X's the size and much nicer.

We move on July 1st. So to my question, what would you suggest to someone like me who is moving to Sayville and has little LI experience? Anything I should absolutely know? Such as what to avoid, what to see, etc.

A brief background to know our interests, I just turned 40, no children at home, one cat, we love parks, potluck style social events, not so much into the club scene anymore but do enjoy a night out.

I have been on LI for 8 months and have only made one friend, I am hoping that will change when I move to Sayville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2011, 06:34 PM

929 posts, read 2,068,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn_earlybright View Post
Good Day,

I have been a ghost on this forum for many years and now I have a question.

My husband and I and our cat moved to Long Island NY after he became disabled due to a brain tumor condition that is reoccurring. We wanted to be close to his family in Wading River.

We have been here for 8 months on a month to month lease. We are on a fixed income so Long Island seems incredibly expensive to us being from a rural area of western PA.

We have been looking ever since moving to Wading River for a larger apartment without noisy upstairs people. We rent a split level basement apartment currently. I found a gorgeous apartment in Sayville for the same amount of money we are paying here for 3X's the size and much nicer.

We move on July 1st. So to my question, what would you suggest to someone like me who is moving to Sayville and has little LI experience? Anything I should absolutely know? Such as what to avoid, what to see, etc.

A brief background to know our interests, I just turned 40, no children at home, one cat, we love parks, potluck style social events, not so much into the club scene anymore but do enjoy a night out.

I have been on LI for 8 months and have only made one friend, I am hoping that will change when I move to Sayville.
Sayville's a great little town, but the rentals can be hit or miss. The community is full of very nice people and some people who think very highly of themselves. Not a lot of great restaurants in the town due to lack of sewage, but a cute Main St if you like knick knacks and that sort of thing. Sayville is a very family orientated area with a lot of tight knit families. Just from your post, I would think Patchogue would be a better fit for you. Less family orientated, more open community, not as expensive, a lot of 40 somethings with no children, and more night life.

Old 05-30-2011, 07:27 PM

886 posts, read 2,646,880 times
Sayville Main St is nice little walk with couple decent places to eat. They have events during the summer and it also near the Village of Islip which also has the same. The ferries are just down the road for a day's excursion to Fire Island if you're up to it. Welcome.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:59 AM

270 posts, read 964,509 times
We moved to Sayville about a year and a half ago. No kids yet. It is a very cute little town. We aren't much into nightlife except for eating out.....LOL
Crickets is a very good restaurant in town. There is also cafe joelle which is good, and a greek place. An italian place just opened called Butera's......we still have to try that one. The one restaruant we love to go to and sit at the bar for food and drinks is Blackbirds, which isn't in town. It's on the corner of broadway and main st.

Sayville has a website you can go on to check out local stuff like resaturants and events going on.

Welcome to the neighborhood!

Old 05-31-2011, 11:07 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,034,476 times
I'm assuming you have a car. Sayville is a nice town, and there are plenty of good restaurants within driving distance from there, in Bayport, Blue Point and Patchogue (east of Sayville), and Oakdale, Islip, East Islip, Bayshore (west of sayville). Cafe Jolle is good (I believe owned by the same people who own Pasta Pasta in Port Jefferson), I think Crickets is weak. You also have Smithtown which is 15-20 minutes north.

Yes there are some snoots in Sayville (and in Bayport, Blue Point, and Oakdale as well), but not the majority. You made a good choice.

Old 05-31-2011, 11:15 AM

2 posts, read 7,929 times
Default Thanks to you and everyone who is responding

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I'm assuming you have a car. Sayville is a nice town, and there are plenty of good restaurants within driving distance from there, in Bayport, Blue Point and Patchogue (east of Sayville), and Oakdale, Islip, East Islip, Bayshore (west of sayville). Cafe Jolle is good (I believe owned by the same people who own Pasta Pasta in Port Jefferson), I think Crickets is weak. You also have Smithtown which is 15-20 minutes north.

Yes there are some snoots in Sayville (and in Bayport, Blue Point, and Oakdale as well), but not the majority. You made a good choice.

Yes we do have a very fuel efficient car, and if I told you the price I am paying for this cute apartment someone would try to steal it from us. LOL

Snooty huh? Well they will not like me, I am not pretentious and a very friendly person so I doubt the snoots will like me. Also I could care less if you have money or not. I had money was raised with it, my husband developed this terminal condition and we lost about everything but gained what really mattered.

Thank you and everyone who has been responding, it makes me feel very welcome.

Old 05-31-2011, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn_earlybright View Post
Yes we do have a very fuel efficient car, and if I told you the price I am paying for this cute apartment someone would try to steal it from us. LOL

Snooty huh? Well they will not like me, I am not pretentious and a very friendly person so I doubt the snoots will like me. Also I could care less if you have money or not. I had money was raised with it, my husband developed this terminal condition and we lost about everything but gained what really mattered.

Thank you and everyone who has been responding, it makes me feel very welcome.

There is a pocket of big money in Sayville as you head south of 27A. It's really not a big deal, just the same stuff you deal with anywhere. You also have some slightly rough looking areas up by the railroad tracks, but it's no biggie.

Old 05-31-2011, 11:31 AM

2,160 posts, read 7,515,675 times
It's a beautiful town. Also...if you want access to nice ocean beaches you'll have that over Wading River.

Old 05-31-2011, 11:44 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,344,743 times
Most li'ers dont get to experience the north shore versus south shore thing so good for you.
I think there is more to do in Sayville than Wading River so have fun. Depending on where you live in Sayville you have some touristy ferry traffic so be aware of that.
One of the biggest advantages to south shore living is your movement east and west is much, much faster-probably 5 times faster than on the north shore. This gives you lots of options.

Old 05-31-2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
Most li'ers dont get to experience the north shore versus south shore thing so good for you.
I think there is more to do in Sayville than Wading River so have fun. Depending on where you live in Sayville you have some touristy ferry traffic so be aware of that.
One of the biggest advantages to south shore living is your movement east and west is much, much faster-probably 5 times faster than on the north shore. This gives you lots of options.

I'm sure you're 100% positive of this because you've been tracking it for 30 years .

Anyway, apart from Scott's exagerations, yes it is quicker to get to most points West and East via Sunrise Hwy than 347/25A/ Sound Ave, that can't be disputed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island