U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 05:37 AM

499 posts, read 455,229 times

Advertisements

The rich who control the media in this country keep the lower classes fighting with each other constantly. Not only on race but religion social status income etc.

The only hate is created in the media to keep us fighting each other while they run to the bank.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2011, 08:39 AM

13,926 posts, read 16,604,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
I never said racism was limited to certain groups!

I said said that there is racism everywhere BUT racists IN GENERAL seem to share some similar characteristics in certain regions (Of course there are exceptions to the rule). Reread my previous posts where I said the difference between the average Southern racist and New England/Northern racists.

And as for NYC being more segregated than LI, that is also true but they are in a City and are far more likely to have frequent daily day-to-day interactions with others which does make a difference.
Just to step away from the racism topic, but keeping the Southern/New England/Northern differences in mind.

Do the terms 'southern hospitality' and 'stoic New Englander' sound familiar?

Southerners are perceived as being more welcoming than northerners. Northerners are perceived as cold, aloof, and less revealing of their emotions.

This extends way beyond race and social class.

Is it better to have southern racist calling a black man 'boy' or n-word and openly demean him, or to have a northern racist behave in a tolerant fashion around that man, but then complain about the n-word he dealt with earlier? Is one situation really any better or preferable over the other?

Old 06-04-2011, 10:40 AM

3,173 posts, read 3,493,480 times
Quote:
I never said racism was limited to certain groups!

I said said that there is racism everywhere BUT racists IN GENERAL seem to share some similar characteristics in certain regions (Of course there are exceptions to the rule). Reread my previous posts where I said the difference between the average Southern racist and New England/Northern racists.

And as for NYC being more segregated than LI, that is also true but they are in a City and are far more likely to have frequent daily day-to-day interactions with others which does make a difference.
I know what you're saying about the regional differences. I really don't see how trashy racists in the south being open about it makes it better. As far as daily interactions making a difference, I don't buy that either..we're a suburb on LI, things are more spread out and you have to drive everywhere. Do you think that the residents in harlem would take kindly to white yuppies or upper-east-siders moving into their neighborhood?

Also, when the diversity hawks claim LI is racist and not diverse enough, what they really mean is its "too white" for their liking. You can't get more racist than that.

Old 06-04-2011, 11:30 AM

3,686 posts, read 4,540,084 times
If a black comes on here and asks where are the blak areas to live, none of the diversity moonbats would say a word....but heaven forbid a white person just want to live with whites, then they have to be hateful racists.

If i wanted diversity, iwould have stayed in the city. I wanted to live with white people who share my same cultural values....that does not mean i hate minorities but try to get that concept through the thick skulls of the moonbats.

Old 06-04-2011, 11:35 AM

208 posts, read 243,705 times
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwBoa...eature=related

Heres Your diversity

Last edited by Nascar99; 06-04-2011 at 11:48 AM..

Old 06-04-2011, 04:02 PM

1,460 posts, read 2,071,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar99 View Post
Oh god, please don't tell me you're relying on the media for your perception of the world!

Wow! and I always thought the sheltered Long Islander stereotype was just an exaggeration!

Old 06-04-2011, 04:27 PM

2,969 posts, read 2,219,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by balancedact View Post
I often cruise the boards and every now and then race issues come up in a thread. Why canít people just be people and learn to get along with each other? Why canít we learn to understand each otherís culture instead of criticizing each other? What ever happened to constructive criticism? What ever happened to working together to solve problems? Why so much hate and animosity? Life is too short for all of this nonsense. I want to live the American dream just as much as the next guy. Just because there are some bad apples in the barrel doesnít mean the whole barrel is spoiled. What we need is real honest dialog with out the negativity and the foolishness. Sorry just venting.
That was beautiful.

Old 06-04-2011, 05:07 PM

13,926 posts, read 16,604,611 times
If a white person were to write the following, would they be considered racist or elitist?

Quote:
LOL, unfortunately, just about all of Long Island is ridiculously over-priced and expensive EVEN the crappy areas!

A 3-4 bedroom home in a bad ghetto STARTS AT $275,000...
I ask you, as a person who has stated they are a minority, what areas on LI would you consider to be a "bad ghetto"? I am going to wager we cite many of the same places and not because of the color of the residents, but because of crime and social issues.

This week I was in Times Square with children and passed a street vendor who was trying to pass out free music CDs. I smiled and told him no thank you. He then sung out, "But Mom, I am a nice black man!" I turned, giggling, and said, "I have no doubt you are, but what kind of a Mom would I be to the kids if I took free things from strange men?"

He smiled and nodded knowing I wasn't dissing him in front of the children. I smiled back as he said, "Have a great day, Mom."

Sometimes people are quick to perceive issues as racial when they are not.

Old 06-04-2011, 07:06 PM

47 posts, read 12,165 times
Since the beginning of time people have always been comfortable being with their own kind and I fully expect that to be the case for the next couple of decades. Scientists have already shown that as the world becomes more integrated that olive skinned humans will be prevelant 500 years from now with only isolated pockets of dark or light skinned peoples. All of this why can't we all just hold hands and sing kumbaya talk is a waste of time. The only thing that will cause humans of all races and religions to band together is if there is an alien invasion of the planet Earth. Ive found the most racist people to be those that always talk about "race" and "diversity". Just like my liberal friend. We both grew up in the same predominetly white middle class town on LI. We were fortunate to both do well in life. I have since moved out of state, and as soon as he could afford it he moved out of his all white middle class community and now resides in CSH. He is always the first to talk about races getting along, preaches diversity to his kids, yet he doesnt even want to live around middle class whites and doesn't let his basketball playing son go to Brooklyn to play pickup games of basketball on the courts there. Stop talking about diversity and throwing it down peoples throats.

Old 06-04-2011, 07:14 PM

756 posts, read 1,178,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
I know what you're saying about the regional differences. I really don't see how trashy racists in the south being open about it makes it better. As far as daily interactions making a difference, I don't buy that either..we're a suburb on LI, things are more spread out and you have to drive everywhere. Do you think that the residents in harlem would take kindly to white yuppies or upper-east-siders moving into their neighborhood?

Also, when the diversity hawks claim LI is racist and not diverse enough, what they really mean is its "too white" for their liking. You can't get more racist than that.

And there it is. Anytime a thread about racism comes up, regardless of the geograpiical location - the south has to be brought up. And we are trashy no less!

Some people have obviously never been outside of their little neighborhoods and depend on hollywood movies to get their knowledge. I am from the south, have traveled all over the US so I understand first hand that racism of every ilk can be found across the land and so can people who are accepting of other's cultures and embrace or at least tolerate diversity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island