U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 09:01 PM

62 posts, read 54,192 times
i think we r still dealing w/race issues on long island becuz the blakcs/mexicans r still trying 2 move here
they try 2 utilize our govt assistence programs
they try 2 utilize day laborer careers/burglaries
they try 2 utilize gang memberships

frankly i am just disgusted by it all

i do not have ne problem w/"the minorities"
i think beyonce is rly beautiful and talented
i like 2 eat piealla and exotic latin cuisines
it is good 2 understand diff cultures & ethnicities
by experiencing them thru sit-down restaurants & tv programs

sometimes i will go 2 a dr's office and see some ppl of color there
dressed in business casual attire
they do not really seem that threatening at all
sometimes i will have a funnie conversation w/them about topical issues

sometimes i go 2 the mall and they do not bother me whatsoever
at least if they r working in the store
bcuz when they r shopping, they walk way 2 slow...
use a lot of curse words
and congregrate in "packs"

in old movies they appear so joyous and songful

but in real life.. it is a much different story

it is just a fact that "diverse" areas r more prone 2 crimewave violence & danger
it is not my responsiblity to understand why this is how "society" works
it is only my responsibility 2 protect my family and my body from it
so plz... do not try 2 call me the raceist 4 saying waht every1 knows is true
if u dnot believe me u can go google it 4 urself

this is our homes it is not a sociology class at a university of phoenix online college
they say that "once u go black u can never go back"
its prob true... look at places like valley strm/wyandance
they r starting 2 look more leik harlem than long island these days

white ppl can be criminals too...
but i think it is only more prevalent in "the dirty south"
and eastern europe/communist places
possibly shirley/mastic (my hubby calls it "mistake" lol) as well

maybe 1 day martin luther king will get 2 see his dream come tru from heaven
i rly hope so
this is america. we defeated slavery pearl harbor and bin laden, so ne thing is possible...

but 4 now... we as long islanders need 2 protect r upper middle class lifestyles 1st and 4most
we need 2 protect our gifted children
we need 2 protect our shopping/dining experiences and genral comfort
we cannot let what happened 2 "the city" and the decaying old world suburbs of nassau cty happen here
it is not worth sacrificing bcuz some ppl think we r "not 2 diverse"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 09:40 PM

3,313 posts, read 3,401,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long island POSTER View Post
but in real life.. it is a much different story
So all minorities are going around sticking people up. Is that correct?

Quote:
it is just a fact that "diverse" areas r more prone 2 crimewave violence & danger
Last time I checked, Detroit and East St. Louis weren't very diverse and yet they still have high crime rates. "Diversity" doesn't just mean there are a lot of minorities.

And throughout history, there have been plenty of Whites committing crimes. Ever hear of Al Capone? Hell, the LES and Brownsville used to be all-White in the early 1900s and they were known as crime-filled slums.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
So all minorities are going around sticking people up. Is that correct?
all gang members and illegal imigrants are going around sticking ppl up

statistics show that gang members & illegal aliens are 99% minorities

Quote:
Last time I checked, Detroit and East St. Louis weren't very diverse and yet they still have high crime rates. "Diversity" doesn't just mean there are a lot of minorities.
i dont kno what it says in a dictionary when u look up diversity

but on long island it is synonymous w/"the minorities"

Quote:
And throughout history, there have been plenty of Whites committing crimes. Ever hear of Al Capone? Hell, the LES and Brownsville used to be all-White in the early 1900s and they were known as crime-filled slums.
sorry i dont rly kno a lot abt history

not rly concerned w/crimes that were comitted almost 200 yrs ago ne way
im more worried abt getting robbed/killed/raped/hassled 4 spare change
by the current breed of minority/immigrant group criminals

when i think abt my ancesters i always say:
"they came here 2 learn english and become an american"

dont rly know if thats tru or not
it just seems easier 2 romanticize european immigration
and rationalize any crimes our ancestors performed
than it is 2 try and relate 2 the struggles of day laborer/ms-13 members

there is no francie nolan equivalent of a mexican anchor baby
and al capone at least wore stylish clothing
instead of having neck tattoos and NBA basketball jerseys

Old 11-04-2011, 11:45 PM

Quote:
all gang members and illegal imigrants are going around sticking ppl up

statistics show that gang members & illegal aliens are 99% minorities
So let's use some logic here:

Say you're correct and all gang members and illegal aliens (who may not have committed a crime other than the simple act of being here illegally).

Does that mean that all minorities are gang members? The last time I checked, I wasn't affliated with any gang.

Just because gang members happen to be minorities doesn't mean that all minorities are gang members.

Say you have 100 people and 50 of them are minorities. Out of those 50, 10 are gang members. Does that mean that all minorities are gang members? Because the remaining 40 aren't.

Quote:
i dont kno what it says in a dictionary when u look up diversity

but on long island it is synonymous w/"the minorities"
I would expect anybody with a high school education (considering I didn't even graduate high school yet) to know what diversity means.

An area that's 90% Black is just as diverse as an area that's 90% White. East St. Louis is 97% Black, so it's about as homogenous (e.g. Not diverse) as you can get.

Quote:
sorry i dont rly kno a lot abt history

not rly concerned w/crimes that were comitted almost 200 yrs ago ne way
im more worried abt getting robbed/killed/raped/hassled 4 spare change
by the current breed of minority/immigrant group criminals

when i think abt my ancesters i always say:

there is no francie nolan equivalent of a mexican anchor baby
and al capone at least wore stylish clothing
instead of having neck tattoos and NBA basketball jerseys
That was less than 100 years ago. And could you use correct syntax and grammar? Geez, I'm a Hispanic immigrant and I've mastered the English language (and American history) better than you. That's just sad.

And there are still White criminals around. Maybe as a percentage, you'll find that a higher percentage of Blacks and Hispanics are criminals compared to Whites, but there are plenty of Whites in prison. I remember a poster talking about how he was beaten senseless in Wantagh, and yet he was helped to the LIRR when he was drunk by some people in Brownsville, Brooklyn (a mostly Black neighborhood)

Old 11-05-2011, 07:27 AM

Quote:
So let's use some logic here:

Say you're correct and all gang members and illegal aliens (who may not have committed a crime other than the simple act of being here illegally).

Does that mean that all minorities are gang members? The last time I checked, I wasn't affliated with any gang.

Just because gang members happen to be minorities doesn't mean that all minorities are gang members.

Say you have 100 people and 50 of them are minorities. Out of those 50, 10 are gang members. Does that mean that all minorities are gang members? Because the remaining 40 aren't.
i did not try 2 say that all of the minorities are bad
but like u just said, its probably at least 20% of them

i do not want to live in an area where 20% of the minorities are trying 2 grope at me
stab/shoot at each other
and pick up empty soda cans 2 buy heroin with
no thank u

even 5% wuld b too many

Old 11-05-2011, 09:28 AM

9,971 posts, read 17,649,494 times
Quote:
"when i think abt my ancesters i always say:

The Mafia sounds soooooo romantic....

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-05-2011, 10:30 AM

1,777 posts, read 1,674,090 times
I really wish people would stop feeding the trolls ...

Old 11-05-2011, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cokatie View Post
I really wish people would stop feeding the trolls ...
Trolls gotta eat too.

But yeah, he's not going to change his views so I'll stop responding.

Old 11-05-2011, 09:50 PM

746 posts, read 447,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Historically, progressives/liberals are hypocritically very racist: after pushing for school busing in the 1950s, they were the first to move out and relocate to the Great Neck area and other suburban communities when busing came to their Brooklyn neighborhoods, previously unaffected, or not yet affected as much, by Urban Renewal.

I've come to see, over the decades, that some persons who label themselves as "liberals" or even "humanists" have an attitude or perspective which is more akin to what I will call social elitism (even sometimes resembling a strain of Social Darwinism). That is, they will, in theory or in the abstract, talk about the need for diversity, acceptance, social welfare programs, affordable housing, aid to the needy, etc. etc. etc. . . . but then, if those people of the lower classes come into their areas or neighborhoods, they are either fought against or there is flight of these supposedly liberal-types from those areas. Or they support there area being "gentrified" (becoming more upscale) to keep out the lower class people. In fact, a goodly number of the liberals-types (perhaps even a majority?) appear to be economically upwardly mobile and well-off (or well enough so) and choose to live in places and in homes that do not have the lower classes there hardly if at all. And if those lower classes came to live in their areas, they'd likely be resented or fought against or their would be "liberal flight".

What I'm saying is that "a liberal is not a liberal is not a liberal is not a liberal . . ." (i.e., a self-proclaimed liberal or humanist is not always a true liberal or humanist when it comes to putting their purported ideals into practice).

Old 11-05-2011, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll View Post
I've come to see, over the decades, that some persons who label themselves as "liberals" or even "humanists" have an attitude or perspective which is more akin to what I will call social elitism (even sometimes resembling a strain of Social Darwinism). That is, they will, in theory or in the abstract, talk about the need for diversity, acceptance, social welfare programs, affordable housing, aid to the needy, etc. etc. etc. . . . but then, if those people of the lower classes come into their areas or neighborhoods, they are either fought against or there is flight of these supposedly liberal-types from those areas. Or they support there area being "gentrified" (becoming more upscale) to keep out the lower class people. In fact, a goodly number of the liberals-types (perhaps even a majority?) appear to be economically upwardly mobile and well-off (or well enough so) and choose to live in places and in homes that do not have the lower classes there hardly if at all. And if those lower classes came to live in their areas, they'd likely be resented or fought against or their would be "liberal flight".

What I'm saying is that "a liberal is not a liberal is not a liberal is not a liberal . . ." (i.e., a self-proclaimed liberal or humanist is not always a true liberal or humanist when it comes to putting their purported ideals into practice).
I'm under 18, so I can't really make my own decisions as far as voting or moving to my own place go, but I would consider myself liberal when it comes to issues like diversity, welfare, etc.

I love the fact that I go to a diverse school (and I don't mean "diverse" like some of the members here mean it. I mean diverse in the dictionary sense) and the fact that my neighborhood is reasonably diverse (I wish it were more diverse in fact. It's around 2/3 White with a sizable Asian and Hispanic population).

As far as being around poor people, most of my friends are middle class in some way (they're not living in slums, but they're not living in mansions either), but I don't get freaked out when I pass through a poor neighborhood (on my way home from school, sometimes the route I take passes through projects, and most of the areas it passes through would be considered "bad" if they were placed on LI). As long as everybody leaves me alone, I could care less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island