Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 05:16 PM

9 posts, read 21,284 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know about "Mini-Split" ductless air conditioner systems? Do these systems raise taxes as central air does?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 11:13 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phipps20 View Post
Does anyone know about "Mini-Split" ductless air conditioner systems? Do these systems raise taxes as central air does?

The Mitsubishi and Sanyo units which are wall mounted inside with the compressor outside are considered a capital improvement. As they are fixed in place, they will raise your taxes. Many people do them on the sly and wait for big brother to catch up with them.

Old 06-08-2011, 05:38 AM

9 posts, read 21,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
The Mitsubishi and Sanyo units which are wall mounted inside with the compressor outside are considered a capital improvement. As they are fixed in place, they will raise your taxes. Many people do them on the sly and wait for big brother to catch up with them.
Thank you very much for your answer. I will keep my window units. I am not one to do things on the sly.

Old 06-08-2011, 06:21 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,152,502 times
How much taxes can a central ac system account for? We talking $100 if that?

Old 06-08-2011, 10:41 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,473,399 times
Whats pathetic is that AC increases your taxes!

Old 06-08-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
How much taxes can a central ac system account for? We talking $100 if that?
Probably a lot less than the cost of running the window units. My electric bill went down quite a lot after installing CAC. I use the CAC much more than I did the window units.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:01 AM

8 posts, read 17,698 times
What the heck? Raise taxes if you install a ductless AC unit? That is soo ridiculas! Good enough they raise our taxes for inground pool, raised our taxes even if our house decrease in value or better yet..raise our taxes for no reason...I don't see any extra school cirriculum.
I live in 3village school disctrict, the library is paid off years ago...why do they need between 3-4millions to run it?

Old 06-08-2011, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerrush View Post
What the heck? Raise taxes if you install a ductless AC unit? That is soo ridiculas! Good enough they raise our taxes for inground pool, raised our taxes even if our house decrease in value or better yet..raise our taxes for no reason...I don't see any extra school cirriculum.
I live in 3village school disctrict, the library is paid off years ago...why do they need between 3-4millions to run it?
Didn't you read any of the budget details? School taxes went up largely in part of contractual salary/benefit/retirement obligations. How much more would you like your taxes raised for extra school curriculum? As it is, in another post you cited your house depreciated $75K and your taxes increased $3,500 in 6 years. We can't eat our cake and have it, too.

The library has many operating expenses. New books and other lending or reference materials, special events, heating, cooling, electric, staff, liability insurance (and other insurance policies) internet, communications, maintenance costs -- to name a few. I don't know if the extension is paid off yet. It's still relatively new.

How long have you lived here that you aren't familiar with everything within and that takes place at the library? We have one of the best libraries on LI - make full use of it and you will get every penny of your library portion of the tax back and then some.

Old 06-08-2011, 05:58 PM

3,514 posts, read 5,696,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phipps20 View Post
Thank you very much for your answer. I will keep my window units. I am not one to do things on the sly.
Please.... no one follows all the rules all the time.
Have you ever gone faster than the speed limit?
Ever not signal for a turn?
Ever not fully stop at a Stop Sign?

Ok, on to houses...
Depending where you live.... ever change an outlet in your house?? In some areas (i.e. Smithtown) that requires a permit...
Ever do any maintenance on your house that is more than cosmetic?? In most places, permits would be needed..

Old 06-08-2011, 08:32 PM

46 posts, read 148,347 times
I have 2 LG units in my house and adding a 3rd shortly. I also have central AC. With my house being over 180 years old, there was issues getting the CAC to the 2nd floor, so we added a split unit up there and it cools both rooms. Also have a split heat / AC unit in my garage (which I use for a shop). Works great for AC, but heat can be tricky. Its a heat pump, so the colder it gets outside, the less efficient it is. I use it in conjunction with an electric heater (runs overnight to keep the shop above freezing)

I'll be adding another heat / AC unit this summer to a room that currently has a hot tub in it. The tub is coming out and will use the room for work that overflows my shop.

I find that the LG unit uses a low voltage to the indoor piece, so its cheaper to install and the electrician doesnt need to disturb the interior walls. The Mitsubishi unit uses line voltage and is harder to install because of it.

As for taxes... dont know, never looked into it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island