Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 05:44 PM
gag

683 posts, read 1,421,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveoliva View Post
I agree that upon moving to a new country one should learn the native language (can you imagine moving to Denmark and expecting everyone to speak English for your benefit? As a side note American tourists do tend to expect everyone to speak English, and many people dislike us for that reason, and if it's a rude and childish thing for Americans to do elsewhere it's a rude and childish thing for anyone to do anywhere). However, as a practical point it would be helpful for police in Hempstead to know some Spanish as many of the residents do only speak Spanish, although I do resent a "demand" for the police to speak Spanish.
I agree with ypu. It'll help the residents to learn English and not to demand it from the police. The police should have some spanish-speaking officers on each shift so they can call for back-up when needed so they can know what's going on immediately, even for their own safety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 08:25 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,519,532 times
The pattern of learning language are no different for latinos than prior groups - first generation don't learn the language, second generation do. My Italian grandmother spoke no English and there was a different group of Americans annoyed at her back in those days.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:56 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,106,357 times
Law enforcement agencies are not supposed to be social experiments, they are forces to uphold law and order ... not make friends with people.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:18 AM

852 posts, read 1,443,139 times
BTW, I'm not saying the police department should go out and hire different officers. I just think they should make the current crop of officers learn a new skill - namely, speaking Spanish. It's just a part of keeping up with the changing demands of their jobs; just like learning to use computers or new technology. Our county is and will always be changing - why would we want police officers operating the same way they did when they started the force (in some cases over 20 years ago)?

Old 06-12-2011, 10:43 AM

7,814 posts, read 6,391,086 times
I hope they don't cave in. Catering to them will just ensure that less people learn English.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:49 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,106,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody516 View Post
BTW, I'm not saying the police department should go out and hire different officers. I just think they should make the current crop of officers learn a new skill - namely, speaking Spanish. It's just a part of keeping up with the changing demands of their jobs; just like learning to use computers or new technology. Our county is and will always be changing - why would we want police officers operating the same way they did when they started the force (in some cases over 20 years ago)?
Your post gave me an idea. Does anyone know if cops get additional pay for foreign language proficiency?

Old 06-12-2011, 10:57 AM

852 posts, read 1,443,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Your post gave me an idea. Does anyone know if cops get additional pay for foreign language proficiency?
No freakin' way! That's like giving additional pay if they know how to use a computer, or drive a patrol car, or write a legible traffic summons.

Old 06-12-2011, 11:25 AM

8,814 posts, read 21,278,987 times
Spanish is such an easy language to learn and to read. It should not be a problem for anyone to study it & it's rewarding to be able to have a skill that helps other people.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 06-12-2011, 02:59 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,088,442 times
This situation is occuring all over the country. I agree with the posters that have stated people who have chosen to come and live here (legally) should learn the language. I am sure if I moved to any other country they would not accomodate my speaking english. Having an officer or two that is proficent in the prevailent non-english languages of the community wouldn't hurt when dealing with older people that haven't learned english.

Old 06-12-2011, 03:37 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,800,048 times
Aside from violence, I thought that the only other language spoken there in Hempstead is ghetto ebonics.
Good thing that Muslims aren't running the show there, it's going to be too hot this summer for burkas, the road stones aren't big enough for stoning,
and the paved streets are not really conducive to burying IED's. We've certainly come a long, long way from the Rivoli, the Calderone, the arcade at
the bus terminal, and the wholesome values that once drew us to Hempstead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island