Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 04:43 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,032,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
I'm not the one targeting people for personal attacks. Read back through the thread.

But have it your way. I really don't care. As the other thread said, it appears that you cannot discuss any of this without resorting to bashing, and frankly, I couldn't care less what you, with your very obvious and transparent axe to grind, think about me.

Indeed, there are people in this world from whom affection would be an insult.

Enjoy your evening, such as you can.
You're the one who used the term "ignorant" to describe someone elses opinion.

Your opinion that it takes specialized skills to be hired to LI police forces is ignorant. Now that's a personal attack? .... because it wasn't when you said it. Hit the red button now.

Anyway, anyone who doesn't stand to gain from inflated police pay should be happy that Newday is exposing the true costs.

Old 06-13-2011, 05:01 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,266,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
You're the one who used the term "ignorant" to describe someone elses opinion.

Your opinion that it takes specialized skills to be hired to LI police forces is ignorant. Now that's a personal attack? .... because it wasn't when you said it.
I'm glad you recognize that. I asked you what you thought went into police work and you expressed an opinion that makes you sound like you really don't know the first thing about it. That's ignorance, in the true and honest sense of the word.

Sorry to disappoint you in your quest to wage a little "no, you started it" whizzing match and place the blame on me, but the thread is what the thread is, your comments are what they are, and that's pretty much all that anyone needs to see. You dig your own grave with this stuff, dman, as does anyone else who can't find the maturity to discuss opposing viewpoints without becoming shrill or resorting to behaving like an angry lynchmob. You draw attention to yourselves with your belligerence; no help from me is necessary.

You see, were I to step back, and were folks like PD and BigMike not to come to this thread, eventually you and a few others would turn on each other in other threads. It's interesting to watch, actually. That need to be nasty and that need for attention is so ingrained that you can't help yourselves. That is the very essence of, dare I say it? Trolling.

Good luck with that. You certainly don't do your viewpoints any credit with your attitude, so you'll need it. Back on ignore you go. Have a nice day!

Old 06-13-2011, 05:16 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,244,986 times
Quote:
I'm glad you recognize that. I asked you what you thought went into police work and you expressed an opinion that makes you sound like you really don't know the first thing about it. That's ignorance, in the true and honest sense of the word.

Sorry to disappoint you in your quest to wage a little "no, you started it" whizzing match and place the blame on me, but the thread is what the thread is, your comments are what they are, and that's pretty much all that anyone needs to see. You dig your own grave with this stuff, dman, as does anyone else who can't find the maturity to discuss opposing viewpoints without becoming shrill or resorting to behaving like an angry lynchmob. You draw attention to yourselves with your belligerence; no help from me is necessary.

You see, were I to step back, and were folks like PD and BigMike not to come to this thread, eventually you and a few others would turn on each other in other threads. It's interesting to watch, actually. That need to be nasty and that need for attention is so ingrained that you can't help yourselves. That is the very essence of, dare I say it? Trolling.

Good luck with that. You certainly don't do your viewpoints any credit with your attitude, so you'll need it. Back on ignore you go. Have a nice day!
ha ha, so you're above it all huh? Lets get back on topic, are you saying that you are fine with the cop salaries released in Newsday? They aren't too high?

Old 06-13-2011, 05:17 PM

939 posts, read 2,680,990 times
The elected politicians in Nassau County have arse-raped homeowners since the early 1980's. But, these said politicians are very effective at manipulating public opinion for all of these years. It is truly comedic what occurs on LI, especially after you've left & see what is still occuring

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
"boosted another Nassau captain's total pay to $876,078."

I almost collapsed off the table when I read that. TOTALLY INSANE!

Cops should save for their own retirements, they surely make enough to do so. Why are they asking struggling private sector employees who are fighting tooth and nail through record high unemployment and deflationary wages to fund both their own retirements and those of highly compensated cops and fire fighters? Young people are going to refuse to come here and buy homes with these taxes and declining entry-level wages. The housing market will further erode. It is a vicious cycle and the Nassau captain pigs are all going to walk away with the cheese at the end.

Old 06-13-2011, 05:24 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times
Quote:
No specialized skills? Really? That's what you think of police work?

What do you think is required of the job?
It doesn't take specialized skills to be hired as a police officer. They learn those specialized skills they use on the job.

Old 06-13-2011, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Your opinion that it takes specialized skills to be hired to LI police forces is _________.
I agree that it is incorrect.

Old 06-13-2011, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
^^^ Sorry about the big picture. The PBA better stop using taxpayer money to advertise this BULLSH*T malarkey disinformation. I actually saw one of their commercials on a pretty big network last night (Spike I think).

66 percent of the $928 million payroll last year went for police and sheriffs pay.
10 percent of the $800 million in property taxes the county collects is only $80M.

Let's see what the math says:
ACTUAL COST....... .66*$928M= $612.5M
PBA says.............. .10*$800M= $ 80.0M

Apparently, over 75% of collected property taxes on behalf of the county go towards Police pay ($612.5M/$800M). Stop with the nonsense.

Yes, you're worth it!
No, we can't afford it!
Thanks pequa.

Old 06-13-2011, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
I think for people already in the system, there might be a little wiggle room here and there - but nothing earth shattering. The PBA will fight everything tooth and nail every step of the way and the state laws are on their side for the most part.

Although honestly, would anyone not be completely psyched if we at least knew that 10-15 years from now property taxes would level out at some kind of sane level because compensation for new hires had been reduced considerably? I'd much rather that happen than these little BS "union concessions" that seem to do nothing but push more cost further down the road. Didn't 34,000 people just take the SCPD test? I'm pretty sure they would probably get the same exact number if only a meager 401k was offered.
I agree with you. I certainly doubt the stadium would be empty, that's for sure.

Old 06-13-2011, 05:33 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,170,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
From Newsday Mobile, for all to read:

Top Stories Item

I love that OT package. What does everyone think of this article? No surprise I guess.

Just blame the teachers and get it over with already.

Old 06-13-2011, 05:34 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,170,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
26 or 27 years ago my father suggested I take the test for the NCPD. No way! I told him as I had seen enough of the nonsense he went through in the NYPD.

I should have listened.
Irish lottery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island