Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 05:35 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Just blame the teachers and get it over with already.
If that's what you are looking for, then go to YouTube and play that infamous commercial!

Old 06-13-2011, 05:36 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,173,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
^^^ Sorry about the big picture. The PBA better stop using taxpayer money to advertise this BULLSH*T malarkey disinformation. I actually saw one of their commercials on a pretty big network last night (Spike I think).

66 percent of the $928 million payroll last year went for police and sheriffs pay.
10 percent of the $800 million in property taxes the county collects is only $80M.

Let's see what the math says:
ACTUAL COST....... .66*$928M= $612.5M
PBA says.............. .10*$800M= $ 80.0M

Apparently, over 75% of collected property taxes on behalf of the county go towards Police pay ($612.5M/$800M). Stop with the nonsense.

Yes, you're worth it!
No, we can't afford it!
This is your best post ever.

Crooks.

Old 06-13-2011, 05:39 PM

324 posts, read 335,282 times
The teachers need a raise when compared with the county police!!

Old 06-13-2011, 05:40 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,025,302 times
Nothing will change so you just got to deal with it. Thats amazing that 66% of the payroll went to the cops. Cops have in good in your county. Lets hope they protect & serve like they are suppose to.

Old 06-13-2011, 05:48 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,269,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post
ha ha, so you're above it all huh? Lets get back on topic, are you saying that you are fine with the cop salaries released in Newsday? They aren't too high?
Why, yes. Yes, I am above it. I don't know anyone here from Adam and Eve. I just see no need for azzclownery just because someone points out issues with what was written in the OP. If it wasn't me, it would have been one of the others who see things like I do. Some people just like to be nasty and others like to pile on. That's their problem.

You might have missed my additions to my first post on this thread, so I'll repeat what I added.

The article points out the egregious cases. Those cases will drive up the percentage for each group as a whole. In other words, that captain wrecks the curve for the street patrol. Take out the egregious cases and those 66% and 60% figures will drop.

I don't think it right to try to paint all LEOs with the brush held by a few at the top. The part about the sheriff's department employee in Suffolk is a joke, even for Snoozeday, never mind the OP highlighting that and not the part about the police captain. The vast majority of sheriff's department employees are COs, and that payscale is absolutely nothing like a cop's. COs in Nassau start in the mid-30Ks, in Suffolk about $40.5K. Top pay maxes out in the mid-70K range after about 11 years in. I don't know what deps make, but I wonder if the sheriff's officer in the article is a deputy. What's more, for a CO to earn that kind of money, he or she has to be fairly senior AND work a boatload of overtime, as in quite a few doubles, at night, on holidays. It can be done, and has been done, but not without a LOT of work and sacrifice. They earn every penny of that pay for all that they deal with. There was just a duty-related death in Nassau last week.

People complain about the OT but there is absolutely nothing you can do about overtime needs at a jail, save improving your community in general so that there isn't so much crime. Hiring more people to prevent the OT will just result in more pensions and benefits to pay 100% of the time for staff that isn't necessary 100% of the time. Crime can be cyclical and seasonal, and if Mangano is talking about cutting the police force, I will say right here and now that doing such a thing is only going to create more OT for those who remain. Either way, you're going to end up paying, both for the the policing and the corrections. Gangs will see to that.

These blanket assertions and implications that all LEOs are hauling in hundreds of thousands of dollars is absolutely ridiculous. It's just not true--but you'd never know that by the selective presentations made on these threads by certain people. Funny how none of the detractors said anything about the riot at the medical center. Likewise none of them responded to [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/19555879-post45.html"]what I said[/URL] on another thread about how privatizing medical services at the jail resulted in a death within 11 days of the private company's takeover. These folks got something they wanted--privatized services--and someone died by those services in record time.

But, you know, working in and with law enforcement requires no special skills.

So, great, they got rid of CSEA union members and brought in a private company, ostensibly to save the taxpayers $4 million. Trouble is, that dead inmate's family is probably going to sue for a lot more than $4 million, and they're going to name the county in the suit.

Call me an idealist, but if people want to save money on law enforcement, then they need to be proactive in their own neighborhoods and make LI a better place to live. When there's low crime, then you won't need so many cops, deps, and COs.

But I suppose that's asking too much, and I mean that in all sincerity. Tough to watch the neighborhood when you're working in the city and gone 12 hours a day.

Last edited by Yzette; 06-13-2011 at 05:56 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-13-2011, 05:54 PM

324 posts, read 335,282 times
How about simply pay the police a fair and reasonable wage??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
Why, yes. Yes, I am above it. I don't know anyone here from Adam and Eve. I just see no need for azzclownery just because someone points out issues with what was written in the OP. If it wasn't me, it would have been one of the others who see things like I do. Some people just like to be nasty and others like to pile on. That's their problem.

You might have missed my additions to my first post on this thread, so I'll repeat what I added.

The article points out the egregious cases. Those cases will drive up the percentage for each group as a whole. In other words, that captain wrecks the curve for the street patrol. Take out the egregious cases and those 66% and 60% figures will drop.

I don't think it right to try to paint all LEOs with the brush held by a few at the top. The part about the sheriff's department employee in Suffolk is a joke, even for Snoozeday, never mind the OP highlighting that and not the part about the police captain. The vast majority of sheriff's department employees are COs, and that payscale is absolutely nothing like a cop's. COs in Nassau start in the mid-30Ks, in Suffolk about $40.5K. Top pay maxes out in the mid-70K range after about 11 years in. I don't know what deps make, but I wonder if the sheriff's officer in the article is a deputy. What's more, for a CO to earn that kind of money, he or she has to be fairly senior AND work a boatload of overtime, as in quite a few doubles, at night, on holidays. It can be done, and has been done, but not without a LOT of work and sacrifice. They earn every penny of that pay for all that they deal with. There was just a duty-related death in Nassau last week.

People complain about the OT but there is absolutely nothing you can do about overtime needs at a jail, save improving your community in general so that there isn't so much crime. Hiring more people to prevent the OT will just result in more pensions and benefits to pay 100% of the time for staff that isn't necessary 100% of the time. Crime can be cyclical and seasonal, and if Mangano is talking about cutting the police force, I will say right here and now that doing such a thing is only going to create more OT for those who remain. Either way, you're going to end up paying. Gangs will see to that.

These blanket assertions and implications that all LEO's are hauling in hundreds of thousands of dollars is absolutely ridiculous. It's just not true--but you'd never know that by the selective presentations made on these threads by certain people. Funny how none of the detractors said anything about the riot at the medical center. Likewise none of them responded to what I said on another thread about how privatizing medical services at the jail resulted in a death within 11 days of the private company's takeover. These folks got something they wanted--privatized services--and someone died by those services in record time.

So, great, they got rid of CSEA union members and brought in a private company, ostensibly to save the taxpayers $4 million. Trouble is, that dead inmate's family is probably going to sue for a lot more than $4 million, and they're going to name the county in the suit.

Call me an idealist, but if people want to save money on law enforcement, then they need to be proactive in their own neighborhoods and make LI a better place to live. When there's low crime, then you won't need so many cops, deps, and COs.

But I suppose that's asking too much, and I mean that in all sincerity. Tough to watch the neighborhood when you're working in the city and gone 12 hours a day.

Old 06-13-2011, 06:02 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,511,090 times
Quote:
Nobody said that, come on... you know what dman72 said.

I also don't really think anyone has a big issue with or is complaining about corrections officers topping out at 70k + OT.

As far as the medical staff at the jails - I gotta admit I know absolutely nothing about it and this is the first I've heard of privatization, but if the private staff is to blame for this one inmates death - who is to blame for the whole slew of them a few months back? I'm not pointing fingers at either, I just think your logic is pretty contradictory here...

Old 06-13-2011, 06:04 PM

290 posts, read 583,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABACAB View Post
How about simply pay the police a fair and reasonable wage??
or, how about Newsday accurately researched an article? Or, how 'bout we read into the article? See, the problem is that by & large, people simply don't like the police. Love firemen, hate the police. Always been that way. Newsday simply loves to stir this kind of nonsense up, irrespective of the factual errors and basic omission's they use to try & hammer their point home. They feel LI Press showed them up with their own series of as poorly researched articles, so they trot the same ol' nonsense out.

Old 06-13-2011, 06:06 PM

939 posts, read 1,845,040 times
The usual group of malcontents are incredibly predictable. Within a few hours they managed to fill five pages with their whining, complaining, dramatic outrage, and misinterpretation of the latest piece of Newsday trash. In fairness, though, so much of what Newsday wrote in the article is inaccurate or misleading, so I can't find too much fault with the regulars who are only capable of forming opinions based on media headlines and internet blogs.

In case you folks missed it, this is old news. Nothing new since the last time Newsday ran this story some six months or so ago. Put down the pitch forks and torches ... that act is getting real tiresome.

Old 06-13-2011, 06:07 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
Quote:
I'm glad you recognize that. I asked you what you thought went into police work and you expressed an opinion that makes you sound like you really don't know the first thing about it. That's ignorance, in the true and honest sense of the word.

Sorry to disappoint you in your quest to wage a little "no, you started it" whizzing match and place the blame on me, but the thread is what the thread is, your comments are what they are, and that's pretty much all that anyone needs to see. You dig your own grave with this stuff, dman, as does anyone else who can't find the maturity to discuss opposing viewpoints without becoming shrill or resorting to behaving like an angry lynchmob. You draw attention to yourselves with your belligerence; no help from me is necessary.

You see, were I to step back, and were folks like PD and BigMike not to come to this thread, eventually you and a few others would turn on each other in other threads. It's interesting to watch, actually. That need to be nasty and that need for attention is so ingrained that you can't help yourselves. That is the very essence of, dare I say it? Trolling.

Good luck with that. You certainly don't do your viewpoints any credit with your attitude, so you'll need it. Back on ignore you go. Have a nice day!
Right, a bunch of people who agree on an issue will somehow find some way to fight with each other because that's our nature.

You called someone elses opinion ignorant because you didn't agree with it. There was no back and forth going on in this thread until you decided to hurl insults, so who is the person lacking maturity? You've made it plainly obvious that you revel in having these threads closed...intentionally starting flame wars to get threads closed is "trolling" by definition.

A current news story was posted that was very relevant to Long island, and some people voiced their opinions, and you arrived on the scene with a completely unrelated, off topic troll post trying to deflect from the issue at hand. Those are the FACTS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island