U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 12:00 AM

8,162 posts, read 13,743,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
There you go again, using the misleading USPS term "town or city", rather than "postal town or postal city", which, in actuality, is "city, village or hamlet".
There you go again throwing that unused or ancient word "hamlet" again. Why don't you put the village of belle terre on an envelope and below it put a 11720 zip code(centereach,south setauket) and mail it. I bet you it doesn't show up in belle terre or port jeff. Remember the 13 colonies? Well they don't exist anymore either. Now we're 50 united states.

Last edited by Lancet71; 06-26-2011 at 12:21 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2011, 12:05 AM

9,341 posts, read 26,839,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Why don't you put the hamlet of belle terre on an envelope ...
I wouldn't write, "hamlet of Belle Terre", because Belle Terre is a village, not a hamlet.

NYS Geographic Glossary may be of some help to you in understanding the geography of "Lawn Guyland".

Old 06-26-2011, 12:22 AM

Quote:
I wouldn't write, "hamlet of Belle Terre", because Belle Terre is a village, not a hamlet.

NYS Geographic Glossary may be of some help to you in understanding the geography of "Lawn Guyland".
I changed it right after I wrote it Walter but it still doesn't matter. Zip codes are all that matter. Street name and number, and the zip code.

Old 06-26-2011, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Zip codes are all that matter. Street name and number, and the zip code.
I have no problem with that as long as folks understand that ZIP Code postal zones are not coterminous with the community whose name they share: in other words, just because a place has a certain ZIP Code. it does not mean that place is in the community whose name is associated with that ZIP Code.

Old 06-26-2011, 08:16 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,136,473 times
Quote:
I have no problem with that as long as folks understand that ZIP Code postal zones are not coterminous with the community whose name they share: in other words, just because a place has a certain ZIP Code. it does not mean that place is in the community whose name is associated with that ZIP Code.
Totally agree with you Walt. But don't you agree that Community names, whether it be town, village, city, hamlet, section, etc., can have multiple meanings?
eg- if a business places themselves in Westbury (puts a Westbury mailing address), but is technically not in the Village of Westbury, yet in the "community" or area known by the majority of residents on LI/NY as 'Westbury', wouldn't it then be valid to use "Westbury" to better express where they are located? ...if this made it easier for customers and others to know the general vicinity the place is located? Makes sense to me.
Hamlets are technically colloquial by default, aren't they?

For Real Estate, tax purposes, etc., I totally agree with using strict village/hamlet/city guidelines.

Old 06-26-2011, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
But don't you agree that Community names, whether it be town, village, city, hamlet, section, etc., can have multiple meanings?
eg- if a business places themselves in Westbury (puts a Westbury mailing address), but is technically not in the Village of Westbury, yet in the "community" or area known by the majority of residents on LI/NY as 'Westbury', wouldn't it then be valid to use "Westbury" to better express where they are located? ...if this made it easier for customers and others to know the general vicinity the place is located?
I agree, only because the USPS poisoned the geographic pond, so to speak, by instructing the public for so many, many years that the last line in a place's mailing address was "city/town, state and ZIP Code", when it really was "postal city/postal town, postal state and ZIP Code".

For a place that has a "Westbury, NY 11590" mailing address but is not in the Village of Westbury, I would hope to see that place's location given as, for example, East Garden City ("Westbury, NY 11590" mailing address).

Old 06-26-2011, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Hamlets are technically colloquial by default, aren't they?
Neighborhoods within hamlets, as are neighborhoods within cities and villages, are colloquial, but hamlets not so much.

Hamlet borders, as explained to me by Rufus Langhans, the past Historian of the Town of Huntington, derived their borders from the original Common School districts before these Common School districts were combined into Union Free and Central School districts.

In the last 30, or so, years, the Nassau County Planning Commission and the Suffolk County Planning Department, the two agencies that are responsible for maintaining the official maps of their respective counties, as guided by the Long Island Regional Planning Board, have made further modifications and refinements to the borders and names of the hamlets, in addition to the several hamlets, or parts of hamlets, that have incorporated and became villages.

Old 06-26-2011, 10:58 AM

51 posts, read 239,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue53 View Post
Few realize what is occurring rapidly in Wyandanch.In the past five years the hispanic population is renting and even buying homes there.My wife is lucky (ha) to teach there and her black/hispanic ratio has gone from 20 to 1 in 2005 to 12 to 8 this year. I would not be surprised that by 2020 the black families will be the minority the german families were in the early 1970's.Will the neighborhood get better ? I'd go out on a limb and say it can't get any worse.
I think the same may be occurring in Roosevelt. Saw many Hispanic families in the neighborhood while driving through there.

Old 06-26-2011, 11:44 AM

1,457 posts, read 3,884,107 times
That's true.

Last edited by LongIslandPerson; 06-26-2011 at 12:02 PM..

Old 06-26-2011, 02:31 PM

Quote:
The only way to possibly fix this is completely start over and assign zip codes to specific spots. We did it with the area code, why not this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island