Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 02:55 PM

449 posts, read 1,132,569 times

Advertisements

Hi all.
I think its pretty clear now that Hempstead and Long Beach are urban, but to me it looks like Freeport is as well. Although I know its not even close to Hempstead and Long Beach, it is pretty diverse and is definetely more urban than places that are closer to the city, like Valley Stream or Baldwin. What do you think? Is freeport urban?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 02:57 PM

330 posts, read 726,275 times
What is your definition of urban?

Old 06-17-2011, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveoliva View Post
What is your definition of urban?
like what hempstead is. diverse, dense, tall buildings, different neighborhoods, etc.

Old 06-17-2011, 03:03 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor123 View Post
like what hempstead is. diverse, dense, tall buildings, different neighborhoods, etc.
What tall buildings??

Here's a tall one for you: Nassau University Medical Center. It's in East Meadow though, not Hempstead, Long Beach or Freeport.

Long Beach actually is a city (city = urban, right?) of its own, though, and Hempstead and Freeport have villages.

Old 06-17-2011, 03:04 PM
gag

683 posts, read 1,421,606 times
Quote:
Hi all.
I think its pretty clear now that Hempstead and Long Beach are urban, but to me it looks like Freeport is as well. Although I know its not even close to Hempstead and Long Beach, it is pretty diverse and is definetely more urban than places that are closer to the city, like Valley Stream or Baldwin. What do you think? Is freeport urban?
I guess it depends how specific of a definition of urban you mean. Not South of Atlantic Ave. near and around the mile, and there's a nice neighborhood (very suburban) I think in the north or west part near Baldwin... can't remember the name, but SeanX4 knows it. The rest, well not as nice to me, but urban....dunno.

Old 06-17-2011, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
What tall buildings??

Here's a tall one for you: Nassau University Medical Center. It's in East Meadow though, not Hempstead, Long Beach or Freeport.

Long Beach actually is a city (city = urban, right?) of its own, though, and Hempstead and Freeport have villages.
Yeah I don't mean really-tall buildings. I mean as in above 6-7 stories and in large numbers. East Meadow does have a lot of talks buildings, but it's not very dense.

Btw, a place that calls itself a city isn't always urban. Ever heard of the CITY of Glen Cove????

Old 06-17-2011, 03:20 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:
Yeah I don't mean really-tall buildings. I mean as in above 6-7 stories and in large numbers. East Meadow does have a lot of talks buildings, but it's not very dense.

Btw, a place that calls itself a city isn't always urban. Ever heard of the CITY of Glen Cove????
I know. But aren't parts of Glen Cove urban?

Interesting you are using the term "urban" as some people like to say "Nassau is turning into QUEENS!"

Old 06-17-2011, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I know. But aren't parts of Glen Cove urban?

Interesting you are using the term "urban" as some people like to say "Nassau is turning into QUEENS!"
lol. then will suffolk turn into nassau? and then will block island turn into suffolk?

as for glen cove it seems very residential. i think it has a big hospital but not really anything else.

Old 06-18-2011, 07:03 AM

162 posts, read 383,413 times
Freeport is Suburban. very typical. has nice houses, land in every section. has a shopping district along merrick rd. less than 10 blocks long, a dinner, mcdonalds, boating stores, a few bicycle shops, some bars, ended with home depot/staples right before meadowbrook parkway. This shoppin district seems similar to any in any village, or hamlet in Nassau, or Suffolk.

Only thing that might matter to some people, it is largely latin american, but it really doesnt matter in any way at all.

Old 06-18-2011, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallywed1 View Post
Freeport is Suburban. very typical. has nice houses, land in every section. has a shopping district along merrick rd. less than 10 blocks long, a dinner, mcdonalds, boating stores, a few bicycle shops, some bars, ended with home depot/staples right before meadowbrook parkway. This shoppin district seems similar to any in any village, or hamlet in Nassau, or Suffolk.

Only thing that might matter to some people, it is largely latin american, but it really doesnt matter in any way at all.
It's shopping district is HUGE compared to all the other south shore suburbs. And it's not just merrick road-compared to how spread out businesses usually r on sunrise, Freeport's part of sunrises has very tightly packed stores and what not. And there are a lot of other places that have nice houses but still have urban if they have a big center. And not all places need ghettos to be urban, to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island