Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2012, 01:09 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,007,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
I understand that...but you should see those beaters in RP move when their owners can afford to buy gas.
Must be that moonshine additive they've been cooking up in the basement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 01:13 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,962,988 times
Quote:
Obeying the law should not provoke rage in anyone. Good citizens must help the police. I chose to do so by driving the speed limit in any lane on any highway in our area. If you can't control your speed, your rage, your erratic driving..then get off the road, you are the danger, not me.
Wow! Ladies and gentlemen, I didn't realize we had Superman here on City Data!

Do you perform citizen's arrests? You should. Apparently it is your right.

I'm not making excuses for those who break the law, but I do find fault that you feel you can single-handedly fix the problem. You have to realize that your opinions and actions will never ever ever ever ever ever ever change the opposition. EVER.

Unless you have red & blue lights on your car, your insistence will do NOTHING to the common driver except instigate anger. You would do so much more if you would just keep you driving habits out of the passing lane.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:29 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,706,112 times
Im sorry that my law abiding behaviour causes you or others anger but I will obey the law and if it helps slow traffic down...so much the better.

Old 04-30-2012, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Im sorry that my law abiding behaviour causes you or others anger but I will obey the law and if it helps slow traffic down...so much the better.
Your law abiding behavior of traveling 55mph does NOT include law enforcement, nor does it include intentionally slowing traffic to prove your point.

Suffolk County has too many cops already. We do not need 'wanna-be cops' making road blocks on highways so 'you can show them'.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:21 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,706,112 times
and we don't need speeders, road ragers, and tailgaters deciding what the speed limit should be.
Wouldnt it be easy to simply obey the law. Years ago there was tacit approval to drink and drive until MADD fought the battle to enforce those laws. Now, even those that accept speeding, obey the DWI laws.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:51 PM

Quote:
and we don't need speeders, road ragers, and tailgaters deciding what the speed limit should be.
Wouldnt it be easy to simply obey the law. Years ago there was tacit approval to drink and drive until MADD fought the battle to enforce those laws. Now, even those that accept speeding, obey the DWI laws.
road rage go both ways, so I'll discount that. tailgaters are not acceptable either.

however, the 55mph law was put in place not for safety, but for fuel efficiency years ago. I refuse to believe that it makes sense to have the same speed limit on a four lane highway as it is on public roads like Deer Park Avenue, Motor Parkway, etc., where there are plenty of opportunities for people to drive into 55mph traffic.

65mph seems to work perfectly fine elsewhere in the country, with equal traffic conditions (i'm not referring to rural areas of vermont where it's upwards of 75mph)

that being said, i'm not saying i make the laws either, and because it's higher in one place makes it OK for another. But it's not up to either of us to ENFORCE IT. Get it? Saying it's your duty to help law enforcement is ridiculous.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:55 PM

142 posts, read 265,370 times
Ugh..this again?

Old 04-30-2012, 09:23 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,329,884 times
Pretty much, if you drive anywhere below 70-75 mph then expect people to drive around you and be tailgated.

The only exception to this is early in the weekend mornings or other times of day when there is minimal traffic volume.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:24 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,724,431 times
Quote:
The law also says that you may not drive in the left lane unless you are passing another vehicle.

Old 05-01-2012, 05:48 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
taking bets: the righteous Gpsma will break at least 1 law today. And so will one of his kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island