U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-30-2011, 11:01 AM

1,144 posts, read 1,145,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcnret View Post
Yeah, actually someone was talking about it.

As long as you're not in the left lane you can set you cruise to 35. Why does every slow driver want to be in the left lane so badly ? There is usually a middle and a right lane to zone out in and follow the "speed limit"
I noticed yesterday there is a MINIMUM SPEED limit on the LIE 40mph, it's posted.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 11:17 AM

3,939 posts, read 4,319,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckthedog View Post
Compliance with the law, wouldnt that be the posted 55mph limit?
Not for us high-and-mighty LI drivers

Old 07-30-2011, 07:35 AM

11 posts, read 14,265 times
Have lived on Long Island my whole life and drive the LIE almost every day and I really don't know what the "real" speed limit is. This is actually a topic of conversation at parties. No one drives at 55 mph. Recently I was doing 72 mph in the center lane and had a lapse of common sense by not checking my mirror for the police behind me and whoa and behold there was a police car right behind me. I was getting ready to be pulled over but they just drove around me and sped up. This doesn't mean that 72 mph is an acceptable speed, it just was that day with that police officer it was so I still don't know what the speed limit is without getting a ticket. Maybe a police officer could write in to this forum and give us some general rules to follow?

Old 07-30-2011, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darldan View Post
Maybe a police officer could write in to this forum and give us some general rules to follow?
The problem with that is that if a P.O. comes and says go nuts, someone may assume that is carte blanche to drive like a crazy person (or a L.I. suburbanite stay at home mother in an SUV ). Enforcement of the law is up to the P.O. discretion, as you saw.

Old 07-30-2011, 09:54 AM
Status: "Buh bye, LIQUEST. You won't be missed." (set 5 days ago)

874 posts, read 784,203 times
35 on the LIE will actually CAUSE accidents. It's a highway, not a Sunday drive. If a driver can't AT LEAST do the minimum (which is also dangerous at 40mph), then stick to back roads where you'll be much more comfortable.

I find it ridiculous that the speed limit is 55mph...the same limit that is on service roads and other main roads like Deer Park Avenue and such, where there are plenty of opportunities for someone to drive out into traffic. The LIE should not be the same as regular roads. It should be 65mph with a minimum of 50mph.

Old 07-30-2011, 09:01 PM

629 posts, read 791,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
New to driving on Long Island. Published speed limit is 55 mph, but everyone goes faster. I couldn't even imagine traveling only 55 mph in the left two lanes. I imagine I would be tailgated, cursed at, and driven right off the roadway. I hate staying in the right lane because of the constant merging on and off. Will consistently driving 65-70 mph in the "fast" lane however put me at risk for constant speeding tickets? I am used to driving on the Palisades Parkway which is one giant speed trap, where myself and most others stay at 55 because officers with radar guns are hiding behind every bush.
Holly crap - I've been driving on the LIE for near 30 years now and I never knew there WAS a speed limit on that road!

Generally speaking, I find that obeying the HOV lane restrictions and NOT driving like an ass (changing lanes, failing to signal, tailgating, etc.) goes along way toward law enforcement ignoring you if you are pacing traffic at 65-70.

Old 07-31-2011, 08:26 AM

24 posts, read 26,857 times
i got up to 130 mph on the seaford/sysoset expressway once.

Old 08-01-2011, 01:36 AM

162 posts, read 175,388 times
I too have a radar detector and it never goes off on the LIE. Even when there are cops sitting in the median.
IMHO cops really just need to stay the f- off the LIE. Every morning there is a ton of traffic crawling and then you get to the cop in the median and just past him traffic is moving again. Or a cop pulls someone over during rush hour and now traffic will be backed up forever just so he can be an ass and issue a ticket.
My avg cruising speed is 70-80mph when there is little traffic. Coming from Florida, where 70 is the speed limit on all our highways it's natural for me to go this fast. (Actually in FL people are cruising around 80-85 sometimes higher.)

Old 08-01-2011, 01:56 AM

Location: Going back to the forest to be with nature's goodness.
14,506 posts, read 6,270,648 times
I live in south Florida and every road I am on is 25 - 40 at all times. That's sensible.

Old 08-01-2011, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadidonato View Post
I too have a radar detector and it never goes off on the LIE. Even when there are cops sitting in the median.
IMHO cops really just need to stay the f- off the LIE. Every morning there is a ton of traffic crawling and then you get to the cop in the median and just past him traffic is moving again. Or a cop pulls someone over during rush hour and now traffic will be backed up forever just so he can be an ass and issue a ticket.
My avg cruising speed is 70-80mph when there is little traffic. Coming from Florida, where 70 is the speed limit on all our highways it's natural for me to go this fast. (Actually in FL people are cruising around 80-85 sometimes higher.)
Sounds like someone is bitter that they are a bad driver and got a few tickets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island