Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 05:55 PM

324 posts, read 335,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcnret View Post
For all the "experts" out there, you can receive a traffic ticket for doing less than the posted speed limit on a limited access road like the LIE. It's called "Impeding the Flow of Traffic", VTL Section 1181. And for all the doubters, here's the statute: "(a) No person shall drive a motor vehicle at such a slow speed as to impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law."
Another "expert" chiming in?

Last edited by ABACAB; 06-29-2011 at 06:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 06:00 PM

939 posts, read 1,844,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABACAB View Post
Another "expert" chiming in
So what was that bit about "personal attacks", Skippy? You seem to be fairly well versed at initiating them -- but not receiving them.

Interesting how sarcastic you get when someone provides an accurate piece of information that somehow escaped you in your vast life experience. Suppose you tell us all about how you've enforced the state's Vehicle and Traffic Laws so that you, too, can be considered an expert. This should be entertaining.

Old 06-30-2011, 05:46 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,973,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdnywife View Post
and this is why I rarely post here It is just my opinion. I dont drive faster than the speed limit because I want to get there faster. I drive faster to stay with the flow of traffic. As Im sure you have experienced if you drive 55 on the LIE people will tailgate you etc. which is not only dangerous for them, but for yourself and your passengers. Id rather risk the ticket. ~ the expert

What I meant was there ARE traffic pattern experts that HAVE done the research. Saying "Going the speed limit (55), you are more likely to have an accident than going 75" is a pretty bold statement when you have really nothing to back it up, nevermind the fact that there is TONS of research regarding speed, safety, fuel consumption, and traffic pattern. There's actually a book that I read called "Traffic" that is pretty interesting.

http://www.amazon.com/Traffic-Drive-...9434241&sr=8-1

And do you really think I care about Mr. and Mrs. A-hole tailgating? I'm the one following the speed limit They are probably the same expert drivers that follow the wonderful Long Island VTL:
  • Roll through stop signs @ 10-15 mph, barely getting a glance either way.
  • Fly past pedestrians when pedestrians have the ROW.
  • Gun through red lights and complain about getting a red light ticket.
  • Buy vehicles bigger than what they can control (If you cannot parallel park your vehicle, you should not drive it).
  • Take their eyes off the road to do ANY number of things.
  • Use turning lanes to cut in front of traffic.
  • Gun past a high-speed merge point, causing a bottleneck because Mr. or Ms. Special wants to be 3 cars ahead of where they were before.
  • STILL talking on their cell phone, YEARS after the cell phone ban has been put in place
  • or my personal favorite... eating meals while driving.

So don't start telling me about what I should and shouldn't do while driving my car.

Do you also lay on your horn for those horrible drivers that actually stop at a stop sign? Those jerks are impeding my traffic flow!

Old 06-30-2011, 05:56 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,973,207 times
Quote:
For all the "experts" out there, you can receive a traffic ticket for doing less than the posted speed limit on a limited access road like the LIE. It's called "Impeding the Flow of Traffic", VTL Section 1181. And for all the doubters, here's the statute: "(a) No person shall drive a motor vehicle at such a slow speed as to impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law."
No one is talking about going slower than the posted speed limit on the LIE. Not sure what this has to do with anything else.

Old 06-30-2011, 06:54 AM

939 posts, read 1,844,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
No one is talking about going slower than the posted speed limit on the LIE. Not sure what this has to do with anything else.
Yeah, actually someone was talking about it.

As long as you're not in the left lane you can set you cruise to 35. Why does every slow driver want to be in the left lane so badly ? There is usually a middle and a right lane to zone out in and follow the "speed limit"

Old 06-30-2011, 06:56 AM

11,298 posts, read 18,885,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
I drive the LIE constantly - the average speed is really around 65-70 mph. The people who drive 60 and below are in the right lane and sometimes the middle lane depending on time of day and overall flow. If driving above 62-65 mph is too fast for you, stay away from the left lanes- simple as that.

Cops will give you a ticket if you are around 70 or 80. The last time I got a ticket on the LIE, I was doing 85 in Islandia but the cop wrote down 78 on the ticket in order to have my license not be automatically suspended (this was around 10 years ago when I was driving this speedy red sports car that would be attractive to cops - red/black colored cars seem to get stopped more often than plain old beige SUVs).
From my experience (and not just in LI) unless it is a "quota period" (like the end of the month) tickets below 70 in a 55 zone are rare and I know of no one getting a ticket for less than 65 in such a zone. There's a couple of reasons for this:

1) Many insurance companies will not raise your rates anymore if you only have ONE ticket of 15 over or less in a 3 year period (even GEICO does this now).

2) Less than about 10 over one can argue in court about things like the radar gun being off (i.e. the signal bounced off something, etc.).

3) Most people fight speeding tickets and to speed up the court cases it usually gets reduced to a "15 under or less" ticket (if you're speeding by 15mph or more) or a non-moving violation (if you're ticketed for less than 15 over or if it's your first offense in a long time).

Old 06-30-2011, 07:08 AM

100 posts, read 222,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
And do you really think I care about Mr. and Mrs. A-hole tailgating? I'm the one following the speed limit They are probably the same expert drivers that follow the wonderful Long Island VTL:
  • Roll through stop signs @ 10-15 mph, barely getting a glance either way.
  • Fly past pedestrians when pedestrians have the ROW.
  • Gun through red lights and complain about getting a red light ticket.
  • Buy vehicles bigger than what they can control (If you cannot parallel park your vehicle, you should not drive it).
  • Take their eyes off the road to do ANY number of things.
  • Use turning lanes to cut in front of traffic.
  • Gun past a high-speed merge point, causing a bottleneck because Mr. or Ms. Special wants to be 3 cars ahead of where they were before.
  • STILL talking on their cell phone, YEARS after the cell phone ban has been put in place
  • or my personal favorite... eating meals while driving.
So don't start telling me about what I should and shouldn't do while driving my car.
Please show me where I told YOU how to drive YOUR car. I said it was MY opinion just like everyone else. I also never said all of these other things are o.k. I will stick to what I said before, no matter what your precious books say. If you go 55 on the LIE I believe you are putting yourself in danger. Not because you are doing something WRONG, but because everyone else is going 20 mph faster. Ill choose to go with the flow and you can do 55 . I really DO NOT CARE what you do. Try not getting your panties in a wad next time. Im done with this thread.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:19 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,194,689 times
If you can't discuss a topic without arguing then move along to another thread. You are entitled to YOUR opinion so don't make derogatory comments about a member when someone else has a different opinion.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:30 AM

2,361 posts, read 1,752,308 times
I stay between 60-65. 55 on the LIE is frankly a little dangerous the way some people drive and more than 65.....you're already going more than a mile a minute. IMO, if you're in that big a rush, leave earlier.

Old 06-30-2011, 10:00 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,669,779 times
Quote:
Compliance with the law, wouldnt that be the posted 55mph limit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island