U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 12:48 PM

12,252 posts, read 16,617,574 times
It was the hit show 'The Wonder Years'...now its over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2007, 12:51 PM

8,480 posts, read 15,427,610 times
If you want to see some of the old days, the Oceanside HS class of 1960 has a neat website run by Howie Levy, who now lives in Vegas.

Oceanside (NY) High School Class of 1960

Enjoy the memories

Old 08-10-2007, 11:17 PM

2,869 posts, read 6,034,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2three View Post
We are looking to move to Hendersonville TN. It is beautiful, the schools are great and it is very family orientated. They have everything we have here and then some, as far as shopping goes. Although they do not have the beaches (ours are full of bacteria anyway) they have a huge lake (Old Hickory Lake)! It's worth some looking into(IMO). Good luck with whatever you choose
Mom, Yes Hendersonville is nice. We ended up in Nashville/Brentwood border because the comute time to my husbands job was better from there.
I left LI about 13 years ago. I was raised in Lawrence, LI. Got married purchased my first home in Mt Sinai, LI, sold that moved to Babylon as commute was to long for my husband.
We left Babylon in 1991 and moved to Manalapan, NJ . We wanted a larger house and taxes in LI a house in Dix Hills were in the $10,000 range back then, NJ was less but now is equal with LI.
LI though I believe has a better quality of life than NJ
Last year after finally selling our home in a declining market. It took 5 months, we moved to Nashville. We bought a 4200sq ft house, all brick, for $430,000. Taxes, $3500, I really love TN and nothing is to far with the vast interstate system. There is also another huge lake close by Percy Prist.
Mom, if you have any questions about TN, you can email me at iv18@aol.com

Old 08-10-2007, 11:23 PM

2,869 posts, read 6,034,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
You know, I have been on other place sites (in this forum) because I am ALSO planning to move in the spring when I retire . And, so far this is the only one in which its own inhabitants speak so poorly of their area. As someone who was here fifty years ago when we still had beautiful farms & lovely little villages, that is so sad. I feel as though my own land has been hijacked.
Go to the NJ board, they hate it there for a reason. I lived in both places and LI tops NJ by 100%.
I now live in Nashville, TN and I truely love it here. Yes, You can get real brooklyn pizza from Brooklyn transplants here. My subdivision is not a senior one but more people in my subdivision are 50 plus. Many Californian transplants. They seem to love Tennessee.

Old 08-11-2007, 04:17 AM

1,058 posts, read 2,353,448 times
Based on the anecdotal evidence from thse forums it seems that most Long Islanders are heading to North Carolina, some Georgia, and of course Florida. I think the south east in general. Why? Familiarity with the south east from all those trips to Florida. Folks drive I-95 and say, "Hmm..Florida is too hot, but this North Carolina might be good - it looks a little like Long Island. Honey..What do you think?"

Old 08-11-2007, 08:40 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,505,385 times
Default Close enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbres View Post
Based on the anecdotal evidence from thse forums it seems that most Long Islanders are heading to North Carolina, some Georgia, and of course Florida. I think the south east in general. Why? Familiarity with the south east from all those trips to Florida. Folks drive I-95 and say, "Hmm..Florida is too hot, but this North Carolina might be good - it looks a little like Long Island. Honey..What do you think?"
Minus the familiarity element you've come close enough to our thinking in deciding to relocate to North Carolina. So much of what we loved about Long Island's North Shore (gentle rolling hills, thick tree cover diverse neighborhoods with good schools) we found in North Raleigh.

As for the poster who pointed out how negative the Long Island locals are, we moved for one VERY BIG reason which is cost of living. We loved our house, our street (and the many friends it provided) our neighborhood, the changing of the seasons, the easy access to the beach, the schools, our house of worship and the list goes on. While there were certainly negatives beyond cost-of-living they were annoyances (weekend traffic, 2-3 hours added to any drive away from the area) more then problems.

Honestly if they had passed a law that would limit the increase in property taxes I would've stayed. While we were struggling it was the continued growth in the related costs that convinced us we needed to get out quickly.

Long Island is a great place to live; it's just also very expensive.

Old 08-11-2007, 10:15 AM

553 posts, read 1,269,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2three View Post
We are looking to move to Hendersonville TN. It is beautiful, the schools are great and it is very family orientated. They have everything we have here and then some, as far as shopping goes. Although they do not have the beaches (ours are full of bacteria anyway) they have a huge lake (Old Hickory Lake)! It's worth some looking into(IMO). Good luck with whatever you choose
I looked at tennesse also and I loved hendersonville down by the lake make sure you check the older houses on the lake it is beautifull down there.

Old 08-11-2007, 11:45 AM

123 posts, read 432,954 times
I think a huge reason a lot of people are going South is because the economy seems to be doing rather well and the salaries and opportunities seem to be ok, especially considering the lower cost of living. The salaries may be a bit lower, but they're comparable.

I love New England, but preliminary research, show a lot fewer jobs at pretty low salaries. The reason I've zeroed in on the areas I have (Eastern CT/Seacoast NH) it seems like the best opportunities are there.

I would love to go to Me. but it sounds so depressed.

A couple of people have suggested Greene County NY to my husband. To the transplants, was it tough to find a job? He's an electrician.

Old 08-12-2007, 06:45 AM

426 posts, read 850,753 times
We looked at areas adjacent to Charlotte, NC. It looked like Levittown to me! No thanks. They bulldozed all the trees and were putting up houses so fast and one on top of the other. I have that here. And let me tell you, the sun was hot! Trading my 40' X 100' LI life for an acre in Pike County, PA. Lots of open space, forests, lakes, 4 seasons, nice people, slower pace, much lower taxes and a lot of house for the money. And...if you need to come back to LI to visit, it's only 2 hours away.

Old 08-12-2007, 07:00 AM

1,587 posts, read 111,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
Go to the NJ board, they hate it there for a reason. I lived in both places and LI tops NJ by 100%.
Yes, but it seems most of the decent jobs associated with manufacturing have dried up on LI. This hasn't impacted NJ as much, though a lot of business has moved south to the Carolinas, or off shore. For every job I see that pays decently here, I see 4 in Jersey. I'm probably gonna wind up in someplace like Linden or New Brunswick.

You're all from here. I'm not. The only reason I moved here, 5 years ago, was for a job that ended, and the employment outlook has become markedly bleaker. It's the worst place I've ever lived in my life. I've complained enough about it, no need to go on about it. But I can't imagine NJ being worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island