U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-12-2007, 08:06 AM

289 posts, read 748,111 times
Dedalus, from all I've read, NJ is as bad and/or worse than LI for property taxes.

So in that respect apparantly it is worse.

And at least on LI we don't have anything as aromatic as the refineries (?) along the NJ Tpke in Elizabeth.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2007, 09:28 AM

937 posts, read 1,610,812 times
Wife and I got married 8 years ago. Bought a home in Smithtown. It doubled in value in 4 years. We cashed out and bought a beautiful 2800 sq ft home for cash near Traverse City , Michigan. The cost of living is low, the people are friendly and genuine, lots to do in summer and winter. Summers are warm but we don't get the humidity that the East coast does. LI & the Carolinas are like a swamp in the summer. Unbelievable gorgeous up here. Boating on fresh water is wonderful. The water looks Carribean in the summer, believe it or not. Cool thing is, not many folks know about this area but word is getting out. Economically, it is probably the healthiest place in Michigan. Lots of snow in the winter but getting around is never an issue as we do not share the roads with millions of people. Leaving LI is very smart. You'll have a better quality of life and you will live longer. There is a beautiful country beyond those bridges and tunnels, if you can get through them

Last edited by Peter B; 08-12-2007 at 09:49 AM..

Old 08-12-2007, 09:39 AM

14 posts, read 29,440 times
Peter B, Traverse City, Michigan? I'm going to look it up. You are not feeling any ill effects of what has happened to Detroit in Traverse City? Did you have young children or teenage children when you moved? If so, how did they react to your move? You are obviously in the midwest. What are your feelings about the midwest in general? It's true, most Long Islanders relocate to the Carolinas and I've heard a few relocated to Texas. Very rarely do you hear of relocation to the midwest. From what I've investigated, it seems to have a lot of beauty to offer but I do hear that jobs are hard to come by. Do you have serious illegal immigration issues in the mid-west?

Sorry for all the questions, but your choice seems rather appealing.

Old 08-12-2007, 09:57 AM

This site is basically for tourist info but you'll get the idea Traverse City Convention & Visitors Bureau | Traverse City, Michigan

We do not have children but are working on it Jobs are available but the pay is not on a scale with large cities. We have some great restaurants, a very good school district and no issues with illegal immigration. Diversity is not something you would find up here as it is about 98.5% white. I still don't understand why so many LI folks want to go to the Carolinas. The Southern hospitality thing is a myth. Southerners generally hate people from the Northeast, not to mention having to deal with the mosquitoes, heat , humidity. Lots of folks who move to the Carolinas end up leaving there anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCNEWYORK View Post
Peter B, Traverse City, Michigan? I'm going to look it up. You are not feeling any ill effects of what has happened to Detroit in Traverse City? Did you have young children or teenage children when you moved? If so, how did they react to your move? You are obviously in the midwest. What are your feelings about the midwest in general? It's true, most Long Islanders relocate to the Carolinas and I've heard a few relocated to Texas. Very rarely do you hear of relocation to the midwest. From what I've investigated, it seems to have a lot of beauty to offer but I do hear that jobs are hard to come by. Do you have serious illegal immigration issues in the mid-west?

Sorry for all the questions, but your choice seems rather appealing.

Old 08-12-2007, 10:17 AM

1,058 posts, read 2,354,236 times
Excellent Choice PeterB. What is winter like?

Old 08-12-2007, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbres View Post
Excellent Choice PeterB. What is winter like?
If you like snow, winters are beautiful. Mostly fine, dry powedery snow falls from Lake Effect from November thru the winter. Good thing is, the snow is rather uniform. A few inches per day when the pattern is correct, once in awhile, heavier snowfalls. Like I said earlier though, it's not like Long Island where a 2" snowfall results in multi hour commutes.

Old 08-12-2007, 10:32 AM

1,058 posts, read 2,354,236 times
Sounds great. Good Luck.

They say the Cold weather is good for kids - also improves their SAT scores.

Old 08-12-2007, 02:23 PM

2,357 posts, read 6,307,063 times
Traverse City, MI averages more snow each year than Buffalo, Rochester or Syracuse.

Top Snowiest Cities in the US

Just trying to help......

Old 08-12-2007, 02:46 PM

7 posts, read 11,607 times
Rootbeer - I know this is an old post, but how is the house selling going? WE too are looking to go to Union County. Brandon Oaks in Indian Trail! We love it there, we are going to try to put the house here up for sale in the beginning of September. What part of Union County are you going to? Where on LI are you from? Lots of luck!

Old 08-12-2007, 03:17 PM

12,252 posts, read 16,624,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilibrarian View Post
A couple of people have suggested Greene County NY to my husband. To the transplants, was it tough to find a job? He's an electrician.
Lili...I live in Greene County and work up in North Greenbush (across the Hudson from Albany). It is an easy commute up the NYS Thruway, which takes about 45 minutes...and we never hit traffic!

I transferred her with my present company, so finding a job (for me) was not too difficult. If your husband does home electrical and wants to work in his own small business, I don't think he'd have a problem in Greene Co. And if he's good, word will spread around quickly. If he works as an electrical contractor, there is a lot of office/business work up by Albany.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island