Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 03:25 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,144,053 times

Advertisements

About Richmond and VA.
You bet your accolades - Business - inRich.com (http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news/business.apx.-content-articles-RTD-2007-08-12-0140.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2007, 05:25 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,365,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedalus View Post
Yes, but it seems most of the decent jobs associated with manufacturing have dried up on LI. This hasn't impacted NJ as much, though a lot of business has moved south to the Carolinas, or off shore. For every job I see that pays decently here, I see 4 in Jersey. I'm probably gonna wind up in someplace like Linden or New Brunswick.

You're all from here. I'm not. The only reason I moved here, 5 years ago, was for a job that ended, and the employment outlook has become markedly bleaker. It's the worst place I've ever lived in my life. I've complained enough about it, no need to go on about it. But I can't imagine NJ being worse.
No, Don't go Jersey!!I did that about 14 years ago, what a mistake! New Brunswick is really awful and not safe. Linden is close to the smoke stacks, probably a good place to get cancer. Jersey is way worst. I grew up on LI and bought 2 homes there before I moved to Jersey.I lived in Manalapan, NJ which is one of the nicer suburbs but I feel the whole state is a cesspool.
I do not find that about LI but I knew I would not go back. Once you live a place its better to look for new horizons. We chose Nashville because my husband's company had an office here so he transfered at same salary. I also went to college here so knew how it was. Also taxes are the lowest in country and no state income tax.
I made a good choice this time!

Old 08-13-2007, 03:01 AM

1,590 posts, read 1,668,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
No, Don't go Jersey!!I did that about 14 years ago, what a mistake! New Brunswick is really awful and not safe. Linden is close to the smoke stacks, probably a good place to get cancer. Jersey is way worst. I grew up on LI and bought 2 homes there before I moved to Jersey.I lived in Manalapan, NJ which is one of the nicer suburbs but I feel the whole state is a cesspool.
I do not find that about LI but I knew I would not go back. Once you live a place its better to look for new horizons. We chose Nashville because my husband's company had an office here so he transfered at same salary. I also went to college here so knew how it was. Also taxes are the lowest in country and no state income tax.
I made a good choice this time!
Hell, I'm going to get cancer anyway. Truth be told, I used to hear much the same thing about Oakland, CA, from the Snob Franciscans, when I lived there.
There's this joke that the area code for Oakland is 911. And, there's plenty to be afraid of...if you're a yuppie. I'm not. I used to live about a mile away from Sonny Barger's motorcycle shop. And, there were drugs and gangs galore. Never bothered me. I'm not involved with such things, and I don't look like I have anything worth stealing.

I feel more endangered here. I walk places, and the "police" here simply do not enforce the law. If there's revenue problems, they ought to set up on Old Country Road. And bring plenty of ticket books. Drug dealers do not force me to buy their product. However, I do have to walk on the street, and thoughtless monied SUV types endanger my life every day.

This whole 'you have to have a car' thing...huh? Yeah, you need an expensive complicated machine and three separate sets of papers that you have to pay through the nose for, like a kidney patient needs a dialysis machine? Give me a break. This is an artificially created need, created by the local dinosaurs whose mission in life seems to be pretending that it's still 1953.

I have plenty of sympathy for working people who like this place, and are getting edged out by all the greed and stealing. But, if I hear one more Long Island Schmoe sitting on a house that's worth ten times what his parents paid for it whining about his taxes...I might just take up mugging myself. Or, when I finally get out of this...dump, I might chat up the homies in the hood, and give em directions to Penn Station.

Ever hear the one about the Eloi and the Morlocks? Bon appetit.

Last edited by Dedalus; 08-13-2007 at 03:19 AM..

Old 08-13-2007, 08:27 AM

289 posts, read 1,140,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedalus View Post
But, if I hear one more Long Island Schmoe sitting on a house that's worth ten times what his parents paid for it whining about his taxes...I might just take up mugging myself.
Well, since I (not my parents) was the one who paid for all my houses, I don't know if I qualify as one of your Long Island Schmoes or not - although frankly I don't care whether I do or not.

If stating the facts about my taxes (what they are) and my opinions about the reasons for LI taxes being so high, qualifies as "whining" about it... then I stand guilty as charged.

Am I happy about the fact that property taxes on LI are among the highest in the USA? No. I doubt that ANYONE, no matter how wealthy they are, wouldn't prefer their property taxes to be lower. More money in the pocket -- who in their right mind wouldn't want that???

Do I think the property taxation system on LI is a gawdawful mess that needs to be fixed? Yes. I also have the same opinion of a few other (non-LI-related) kinds of taxes as well.

Does my negative opinion about my property taxes here outweigh all of the positive things that I find about living on Long Island? No. Because if it did, I would move elsewhere. But it doesn't.

The fact that my property taxes aren't the deciding factor as to where I live, doesn't deprive me of the right to talk about them in whatever terms I see fit without being automatically labeled a "whining schmoe".

Dedalus, have you ever had a job where you couldn't stand your boss or co-worker, but remained at that job because the reasons to stay outweighed the reason to quit (i.e, dealing with that boss or co-workers)? I bet you had plenty to say about your boss/workers, if not at work then at home and to your friends. So by your standards weren't you were a "whining schmoe"? Because I'm sure at least some people got real sick of hearing you b*tch about those people at work -- probably just as sick as you are of hearing people on LI talk about our taxes.

Maybe some of us are tired of hearing you whine about how badly we "all" drive, too.

Old 08-13-2007, 08:55 AM

127 posts, read 521,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4StanleyCups View Post
Well, since I (not my parents) was the one who paid for all my houses, I don't know if I qualify as one of your Long Island Schmoes or not - although frankly I don't care whether I do or not.

If stating the facts about my taxes (what they are) and my opinions about the reasons for LI taxes being so high, qualifies as "whining" about it... then I stand guilty as charged.

Am I happy about the fact that property taxes on LI are among the highest in the USA? No. I doubt that ANYONE, no matter how wealthy they are, wouldn't prefer their property taxes to be lower. More money in the pocket -- who in their right mind wouldn't want that???

Do I think the property taxation system on LI is a gawdawful mess that needs to be fixed? Yes. I also have the same opinion of a few other (non-LI-related) kinds of taxes as well.

Does my negative opinion about my property taxes here outweigh all of the positive things that I find about living on Long Island? No. Because if it did, I would move elsewhere. But it doesn't.

The fact that my property taxes aren't the deciding factor as to where I live, doesn't deprive me of the right to talk about them in whatever terms I see fit without being automatically labeled a "whining schmoe".

Dedalus, have you ever had a job where you couldn't stand your boss or co-worker, but remained at that job because the reasons to stay outweighed the reason to quit (i.e, dealing with that boss or co-workers)? I bet you had plenty to say about your boss/workers, if not at work then at home and to your friends. So by your standards weren't you were a "whining schmoe"? Because I'm sure at least some people got real sick of hearing you b*tch about those people at work -- probably just as sick as you are of hearing people on LI talk about our taxes.

Maybe some of us are tired of hearing you whine about how badly we "all" drive, too.
4StanleyCups, I couldn't agree with you more. What I personally get sick of (where I live, in particular), are those who have attained much of what they have (and continue to profit from, in terms of college funds and summer camp for their kids) from what I like to call "The First National Bank of Mommy and Daddy." It's easy to be a big shot on someone else's money. Like you, no one paved the way for us. All we have came out of our own pockets. We didn't steal it; we worked for it. Even those who make a good living aren't always thrilled to death with their jobs, but they keep on keeping on, just like everyone else. Luck certainly plays a role in life, but so does motivation.

I am sure there are those out there who might imagine me to be the "typical" north shore soccer mom (see some other posts where I have been attacked, because how could I be Jewish and not a threat to civilization?) I don't drive the supposedly requisite huge SUV, and I don't have a perfectly toned figure, manicured nails and an incessantly in-use cellphone. The only true part of this is where I live. Yes, I have a luxury car (and if I can afford one and want one, why not?), but I also have a 10-year-old minivan. I let my kids be kids and have fun playing; I do not, nor have ever believed, in filling their after-school lives with so-called "enrichment" activities. And playdates? This whoole friendship-by-appointment business that begins in nursery school is absurd. I felt my kids needed a nap more than one-on-one play that was essentially meaningless at that age. Oh, and toned? Please! I've gotten so heavy that I risk the chance of being ID'd every time I leave the house. I bite my nails. I only have a cell phone in case one of my children is sick at school or camp, and I need to pick them up. I can't even stand the sheer sound of these cell-phone enhanced women as they speak. I have friends who are real people. Yes, you can be well-to-do and be real. It's actually possible, even when it seems hard to come by.

Our property taxes are about to almost double, because we chose to enlarge our house rather than move from our nice street. We're not thrilled, but we chose to live here. Right now we can afford this; one day, we might not. And that's the day we will have to make a decision.

Old 08-13-2007, 10:25 AM

1,590 posts, read 1,668,308 times
The people I am talking about received an equity windfall of anywhere from 200 to 800 thousand dollars, for doing...nothing.

There are real reasons behind this outrageous taxation. A lot of it is NIMBYism promoted by people who make a lot of noise because they want to keep this unearned wealth.

Old 08-13-2007, 11:31 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,267,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Lots of folks who move to the Carolinas end up leaving there anyway.
And that's why our population is booming? I've been here seven years and trust me I'm not headed back. You'd be surprised how many Tri-Staters down here feel the same.

Old 08-13-2007, 11:56 AM

1,359 posts, read 5,656,123 times
Pooppot, NC? Nosepick, LA? Where else are people moving to?

Old 08-13-2007, 12:44 PM

672 posts, read 905,330 times
Florida. UGH. You are crazy if you come here. There are more important things than sun and beaches.

Old 08-13-2007, 12:57 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,267,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMom72 View Post
Florida. UGH. You are crazy if you come here. There are more important things than sun and beaches.
Yeah, I heard half of all working Floridians will be getting a raise now that minimum wage is going up Nice place to visit though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island