Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 07:37 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,352,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2three View Post
Thanks for the feedback. How long ago did you make the move to Nashville?
I moved to Nashville, in July 2006, so a little over a year.
I really do love it here.

Diane G
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2007, 12:03 PM

64 posts, read 233,956 times
Default Where Are All the Long Islanders Moving Too?

As soon as we close on our house, we are moving to Alabama, northern Alabama. We wanted an area with 4 seasons and northern Alabama does, though the winters are milder and no snow. Coming from LI, we wanted something that was close to water, so while a lake is definitely not an ocean, a 69,000 acre lake and hills seems a good substitute. Plus the cost of living is so much less. We visited the Huntsville/Guntersville area last year, and a large home, on 2 acres with a pool, a block from the lake was priced at $275,000 and taxes $700. Of course, there are more expensive and less expensive homes in the area, but the taxes, etc., are so much less than LI. Plus everyone we met was so friendly and welcoming.

We also checked out the Carolinas, Georgia and Florida, but Alabama seemed a better fit for us.

Old 08-20-2007, 05:04 AM

431 posts, read 2,123,550 times
Default Do your research

Quote:
Originally Posted by scammed View Post
Think twice about Texas.I am from the Island and have been here a long time. I still have not adjusted. I have a few friends who got divorced because their husbands refused to leave Texas and they could not take it. They just picked up and moved back east and left their husbands.
I think coming from NYC/Long Island is a huge culture shock. People only think about how you can get so much more house for your money and cheaper taxes. Let me tell you, read the posts on this site about people who have relocated. Everything is not always what it seems. You will almost definitely make less money. The people are different. The lifestyle is different. That being said, if you go with an open mind, you can make it work. I would just say before you move, whether South or West (most popular areas to relocate to), visit alot, extended stays, preferably before you move.

Old 08-20-2007, 06:13 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,040,636 times
The problem with coming from NY/Long Island is most people expect a lot more (or places to be) just like home--stores 1.1 feet from their doors, 4 different supermarkets in 2 miles, malls, and so on.

Shopping is therapy/recreation for many Long Islanders who simply are raised to consume.

Then you have to make sure Junior is in 4 different activities because he's 'bored' or you have to make sure you can tell Mrs.Esposito down the block your son is just as 'active and socialized' as her little Jason.

At my age I am not ever going to make the sort of money we'd need to live up to 'average' Long Island standards. I'll wind up someplace north where living is not so 'consumer' centered.

My son will probably take off at 18 for some big city, but at least we've tried to give him an idea how 'money' while important, does not define a person or make up for lack of inner values.

I suppose I will do a lot of shopping by internet when I move.

Yes, it's expensive compared to 'the South' but I hate the heat so off to New England we will go.

Old 08-21-2007, 05:44 PM

75 posts, read 289,960 times
Default We're Florida Bound

Seven of my friends picked up and moved to Texas, Georgia, North Carolina, Central Florida, North Florida and Arizona within the last year. Everyone of my friends are so happy they made the move off LI. The one thing they all mentioned is the quality of life being so much better.

Shelly

Old 02-22-2008, 08:54 PM

242 posts, read 664,471 times
In the past several years, friends of mine have moved to GA, SC, VA, PA. We moved to TX.

Old 02-23-2008, 11:51 AM

176 posts, read 798,704 times
We moved to Tennessee five years ago after living on Long Island for over fifty years. It was the best thing we ever did and now live in a beautiful home overlooking a valley. No more stratospheric real estate taxes, no income tax at all, no more expensive heating oil-just cheap TVA electricity.

My only complaint it I can't get hard rolls-big deal.

Old 02-23-2008, 04:27 PM

8,807 posts, read 21,236,910 times
What !?! No hard rolls ?

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 02-23-2008, 06:34 PM

176 posts, read 798,704 times
No, but my wife is a great baker so she makes them along with delicious breads.

Old 02-23-2008, 07:17 PM

5,224 posts, read 4,999,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphins View Post
Can anyone tell me where all the LI'ers are moving to? My husband and I are looking for a better quality of life. We would like changing seasons, but not a six month winter like we have here on LI. Thanks!
We're considerng Pennsylvania.. somewhere inLancaster County maybe or near Manheim..etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island