Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 03:53 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,420,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
hahahahahahaha

Not quite as hard as getting a shed legalized, but otherwise a major pain in the a$$. I had trouble w the 4 notarized references that had to be nassau county residents and NOT family or law enforcement. I have LE friends that I shoot better than (I lived in less rigid states where I shot often). Was I supposed to go to all my kid's friend's parents and ask them to write me a reference for a handgun AND by the way, get it notarized?! My neighbors? Call me crazy but I sort of didn't want to tell the world I wanted a handgun. Then there is the $200 non-refundable fee and they get 6 months to say no. Piece of cake. Went with the shotgun. Better for home protection anyway. Less chance for undesireable bullet travel through Levitt walls and there is no better deterrent than the racking of the slide "click clack" i.e. universal sound that says "get the fc*k OUT!"

That said, Dick's annoyed the cr*p out of me and I ended up at T&T. Service was a little snooty but they got the job done, price was just above internet pricing and it's fun to loiter around in there and check out all the implements of destruction.
Maybe suffolk is different because I know people who have gotten their permit in 5-6months

Last edited by lubby; 02-21-2012 at 04:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 08:18 PM

840 posts, read 2,446,057 times
hempstead or new cassel

Old 02-21-2012, 09:05 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,474,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Maybe suffolk is different because I know people who have gotten their permit in 5-6months
Just got mine, 192 days after I applied from Suffolk. You can save yourself the time and hand in the notarized reference letters with the application. Still trying to figure out why a background check and looking up the references would take that long when the biggest hump is the check and the FBI usually has that back within 24 hours.

Also, having a very small staff servicing millions of citizens with an overly long and complicated system doesn't help.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:10 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,420,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
Just got mine, 192 days after I applied from Suffolk. You can save yourself the time and hand in the notarized reference letters with the application. Still trying to figure out why a background check and looking up the references would take that long when the biggest hump is the check and the FBI usually has that back within 24 hours.

Also, having a very small staff servicing millions of citizens with an overly long and complicated system doesn't help.
I've had mine since 2007 and just recently renewed.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:52 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,474,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I've had mine since 2007 and just recently renewed.

Going to pick up my G34 once my safe comes in.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:32 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,973,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post

because IMO they are putting as many bumps in the road as they can to limit the number of people who care enough to do it.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:10 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,106,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
because IMO they are putting as many bumps in the road as they can to limit the number of people who care enough to do it.

Exactly ... they know it's illegal to deny people outright so they delay things as long as possible to deny them on some silly minor technicality. I have been told that they wait until the final month of the 6 month period to begin the background investigation.

I wish I could just <poof> stop paying towards their benefits, salaries, and pensions just because ...

Old 02-22-2012, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post

Exactly ... they know it's illegal to deny people outright so they delay things as long as possible to deny them on some silly minor technicality. I have been told that they wait until the final month of the 6 month period to begin the background investigation.

I wish I could just <poof> stop paying towards their benefits, salaries, and pensions just because ...
Well, at least in Nassau, they are pretty much already breaking the rules. They are supposed to either issue or deny, or provide a reason for delay, within 6 months of application date. They now push it to 6 months from INTERVIEW date, which they are scheduling at least 6 months out from when you drop off the application.

Also, the whole application process is for a TARGET/PREMISES license, not a CCW license, so it is even more ridiculous knowing that you can't even carry outside of your home/range.

It's effective, in the fact that many people are probably not applying for licenses (I am not applying, personally) because they are just frustrated with the process.

They claim they are completely understaffed, but that is not an excuse.

We can probably thank Herr Bloomy for all of this.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:08 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,106,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
Well, at least in Nassau, they are pretty much already breaking the rules. They are supposed to either issue or deny, or provide a reason for delay, within 6 months of application date. They now push it to 6 months from INTERVIEW date, which they are scheduling at least 6 months out from when you drop off the application.

Also, the whole application process is for a TARGET/PREMISES license, not a CCW license, so it is even more ridiculous knowing that you can't even carry outside of your home/range.

It's effective, in the fact that many people are probably not applying for licenses (I am not applying, personally) because they are just frustrated with the process.

They claim they are completely understaffed, but that is not an excuse.

We can probably thank Herr Bloomy for all of this.
I would love to have a pistol permit ... I don't want to deal with all the hassle and annoyances though either.

Maybe someday the rules will change and we will have a local government that respects our rights.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Maybe someday the rules will change and we will have a local government that respects our rights.
lol. sorry, I had to laugh.......

After visiting my folks in Virginia (who recently got their CCW after paying 30$, sending in an application, and waiting for 3 weeks), it was a breath of fresh air to be able to take one of their handguns, walk into their back yard, and shoot some targets.. with the proper backstop, of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island