Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 09:52 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,997,960 times

Advertisements

"5 days?...but I'm mad now!"

The Simpsons - Gun Shop - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 01:49 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,474,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
Well, at least in Nassau, they are pretty much already breaking the rules. They are supposed to either issue or deny, or provide a reason for delay, within 6 months of application date. They now push it to 6 months from INTERVIEW date, which they are scheduling at least 6 months out from when you drop off the application.

Also, the whole application process is for a TARGET/PREMISES license, not a CCW license, so it is even more ridiculous knowing that you can't even carry outside of your home/range.

It's effective, in the fact that many people are probably not applying for licenses (I am not applying, personally) because they are just frustrated with the process.

They claim they are completely understaffed, but that is not an excuse.

We can probably thank Herr Bloomy for all of this.
They are, but not in the way your thinking. See, they require an Approve/Deny within 6 months of application to the licensing "authority". The "authority" in question is the police commissioner IIRC, not the PLB. Forcing you to turn your application into the PLB, then having them wait while they "process" your application before turning it over to the authority is the problem.

Old 02-22-2012, 01:50 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,973,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
They are, but not in the way your thinking. See, they require an Approve/Deny within 6 months of application to the licensing "authority". The "authority" in question is the police commissioner IIRC, not the PLB. Forcing you to turn your application into the PLB, then having them wait while they "process" your application before turning it over to the authority is the problem.
Ah righht, maybe that's how they get away with only starting the 6 months from the interview (and probably the submission date).

Old 02-24-2012, 04:45 PM

90 posts, read 218,308 times
Any corner in Brentwood

Old 02-24-2012, 08:23 PM

17 posts, read 17,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Right on. Buying a .22 for home protection is like buying a pekingese for home protection. OK, maybe not that bad. Comedic license.

Glocks are stable and so easy to shoot. Not the most fun or exciting, but if you can't hit what you aim at with a glock, learn karate.
You buy a 22 to train with, not for home defense. Unless you have money to burn on practice ammo I guess. Even then, 22 is good to practice with since the low recoil and low noise mean you flinch less and shoot straighter. Adequate range time and training on your weapon is just as important as owning one to begin with.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:32 PM

17 posts, read 17,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
They claim they are completely understaffed, but that is not an excuse.

We can probably thank Herr Bloomy for all of this.
It's a reality. There are too few people assigned to the pistol licensing division, and those that are are frequently pulled off for other details (prisoner transport, etc.). I've been told that this has grown worse lately as additional people were reassigned in the last year, which accounts for the longer wait times. Most everyone that works there has been sympathetic and constantly complaints that they need far more warm bodies to handle the work.

The background check is not from the FBI, it's from the NY department of criminal justice, and doesn't just come right back like when your gun shop calls NICS to make sure you're not a felon. This is a much more thorough search and will turn up any prior criminal activity - even sealed charges you may have had when you were a minor. That is why you have to submit a notarized statement about any arrest or detention, ever.

There's also a good amount of time spent actually calling those references that you list on your application, verifying your employment, etc.

That being said, the law and licensing requirement for ownership is ridiculous to begin with. The only licenses that should be issued for guns is for CCW.

Not sure what Bloomberg, the mayor of NYC, has to do with any of it. Pistol licensing in this state predates his reign and hasn't gotten any more strict outside of the city (though I'm sure he'd like it to). Kathleen Rice is far worse for gun owners in Nassau.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:31 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,474,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intervening Episode View Post
It's a reality. There are too few people assigned to the pistol licensing division, and those that are are frequently pulled off for other details (prisoner transport, etc.). I've been told that this has grown worse lately as additional people were reassigned in the last year, which accounts for the longer wait times. Most everyone that works there has been sympathetic and constantly complaints that they need far more warm bodies to handle the work.
Pistol permit costs are supposed to be used to defray these officers salary burdens on the public, not pay for their reassignment. If the duties are too arduous a task for the current system and staffing to handle, either they need more staff or they need a less arduous process.

Quote:
The background check is not from the FBI, it's from the NY department of criminal justice, and doesn't just come right back like when your gun shop calls NICS to make sure you're not a felon. This is a much more thorough search and will turn up any prior criminal activity - even sealed charges you may have had when you were a minor. That is why you have to submit a notarized statement about any arrest or detention, ever.
It goes to both the FBI and the NYS DOJ for expanded background checks. If the FBI can do checks within 24 hours there is no reason why NY couldn't as well. They also do a mental health check IIRC.

Quote:
There's also a good amount of time spent actually calling those references that you list on your application, verifying your employment, etc.
Most peoples references were never called, in fact no one who I know who has a permit had their references called (YMMV). Verification of employment takes <5 minutes. Its very hard to try to defend downstate counties and NYC taking 6+ months to finish the process (when NYS law says 90 days mind you) meanwhile upstate counties can do the same requirements in a matter of weeks.

Quote:
That being said, the law and licensing requirement for ownership is ridiculous to begin with. The only licenses that should be issued for guns is for CCW.
Totally agree here.

Quote:
Not sure what Bloomberg, the mayor of NYC, has to do with any of it. Pistol licensing in this state predates his reign and hasn't gotten any more strict outside of the city (though I'm sure he'd like it to). Kathleen Rice is far worse for gun owners in Nassau.
Bloomberg made significant negative changes to the NYC licensing, and Herr Bloomberg is also a loud voice in pushing more negative changes in both NYS and nationally. Rice is a tool, and I can't wait for the lawsuit from at least 1 gun store that was raided to come down the pipe.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:50 AM

961 posts, read 2,503,888 times
I don't really have much of a reason to post here, as I live upstate...but the gun related thread caught my eye. Couple of things come to mind. One, I've seen quite a number of downstaters at the bigger gun shows upstate. And second, doesn't having to traverse thru NYC to get to/from LI w/ firearms present a lot of hassles? I do know that the word up here is to avoid traveling anywhere near NYC or traverse thru NJ with any firearms, no matter how legal.

Old 02-27-2012, 04:39 PM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
Pistol permit costs are supposed to be used to defray these officers salary burdens on the public, not pay for their reassignment. If the duties are too arduous a task for the current system and staffing to handle, either they need more staff or they need a less arduous process.

It goes to both the FBI and the NYS DOJ for expanded background checks. If the FBI can do checks within 24 hours there is no reason why NY couldn't as well. They also do a mental health check IIRC.

Most peoples references were never called, in fact no one who I know who has a permit had their references called (YMMV). Verification of employment takes <5 minutes. Its very hard to try to defend downstate counties and NYC taking 6+ months to finish the process (when NYS law says 90 days mind you) meanwhile upstate counties can do the same requirements in a matter of weeks.

Totally agree here.

Bloomberg made significant negative changes to the NYC licensing, and Herr Bloomberg is also a loud voice in pushing more negative changes in both NYS and nationally. Rice is a tool, and I can't wait for the lawsuit from at least 1 gun store that was raided to come down the pipe.
tell us what changes bloomberg made to the licensing of hand guns in nyc , i cant think of not 1. he talked about lowering fees but that never happened. our city permits are still staus quo from as far back as i can remember prior to them killing off the target hunting permit back in the 1990's

Last edited by mathjak107; 02-27-2012 at 05:23 PM..

Old 02-28-2012, 06:41 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,997,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
tell us what changes bloomberg made to the licensing of hand guns in nyc , i cant think of not 1. he talked about lowering fees but that never happened. our city permits are still staus quo from as far back as i can remember prior to them killing off the target hunting permit back in the 1990's
What can he do? NYC already has the strictest gun laws in the country. Bloomberg is a national advocate for even tougher laws. He puts up his own money to advocate for stricter laws. I don't begrudge him for it, it's his right, but he would more or less revoke the 2nd amendment in NYC if he could. He was just on Meet the Press a few weeks ago demanding better federal enforcement of existing laws. It is his signature issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island