U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Labor Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 06-25-2011, 08:44 PM
 
590 posts, read 955,942 times
Reputation: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post

Whats REALLy going to be interesting is polygamy going to court.

Oh for Pete's sake, I'm just trying to get my mind around who would be the husband and who the wife in a same sex marriage and you throw in POLYGAMY!!!!.....

Now who's the husband and who the wives, or wife and husbands.

"Hi, my name is Ted, I'd like you to meet my wives Steve, Carl and Eric.."

"Hi, I'm Sonia, and this is Bree and Rachel, we'd like you to meet our husband Jessica"

And this isn't even dealing with a mixed sex multiple marriage.

A polygamous same sex marriage is about as bizarre as folks petitioning for the right to marry their horse. And that's one issue it wouldn't be hard to be "On the fence" about. I tell ya, it's just too much confusion...
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-25-2011, 08:59 PM
 
1,812 posts, read 1,305,760 times
Reputation: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Something called the Civil Rights Act of 1964.....
I may have missed it, but I believe that was about desegregation of schools, voters rights, and outlawing practices that applied different voter standards via race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
Oh for Pete's sake, I'm just trying to get my mind around who would be the husband and who the wife in a same sex marriage and you throw in POLYGAMY!!!!.....

Now who's the husband and who the wives, or wife and husbands.

"Hi, my name is Ted, I'd like you to meet my wives Steve, Carl and Eric.."

"Hi, I'm Sonia, and this is Bree and Rachel, we'd like you to meet our husband Jessica"

And this isn't even dealing with a mixed sex multiple marriage.

A polygamous same sex marriage is about as bizarre as folks petitioning for the right to marry their horse. And that's one issue it wouldn't be hard to be "On the fence" about. I tell ya, it's just too much confusion...
*shrugs* Whatever. At this point I'd let someone marry a hole in the wall (or a bump in the wall, whatever floats your boat) if NY would reduce its state budget, cap taxes, fix the LI school economy thats going on, and give us our damned 2nd amendment rights back.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2011, 09:07 PM
 
Location: Long Island (chief in S Farmingdale)
13,658 posts, read 6,927,511 times
Reputation: 2378
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
I may have missed it, but I believe that was about desegregation of schools, voters rights, and outlawing practices that applied different voter standards via race.
It also banned business's from not providing a service to someone on the basis of discrimination. Religious groups are exempt from anti-discrimination laws, business's are not, so you can't use the example of a business with no religious affiliation (such as the N.M case) being sued over discrimination as reason why it would extend the the Church. On top of that, if it was such a possibility, don't you think it would have happened already considering gay marriage has been legal in other states as well.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2011, 09:12 PM
 
1,812 posts, read 1,305,760 times
Reputation: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
It also banned business's from not providing a service to someone on the basis of discrimination. Religious groups are exempt from anti-discrimination laws, business's are not, so you can't use the example of a business with no religious affiliation (such as the N.M case) being sued over discrimination as reason why it would extend the the Church. On top of that, if it was such a possibility, don't you think it would have happened already considering gay marriage has been legal in other states as well.
OK, I misunderstood what you were talking about.

Let me fix that. If we're talking about the NM case then the laws should be enabled the same as they are for every other business: allowance for reasonable and accountable objection. We did it for selective service, we do it for HC workers (except in emergencies), etc. Trampling on persons personal beliefs for anothers would be an incorrect way to run things.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2011, 09:21 PM
 
Location: Long Island (chief in S Farmingdale)
13,658 posts, read 6,927,511 times
Reputation: 2378
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
OK, I misunderstood what you were talking about.

Let me fix that. If we're talking about the NM case then the laws should be enabled the same as they are for every other business: allowance for reasonable and accountable objection. We did it for selective service, we do it for HC workers (except in emergencies), etc. Trampling on persons personal beliefs for anothers would be an incorrect way to run things.
It is enabled the same for every other business as it was regarding the N.M case. Discrimination is discrimination, accountable objection does not cover discrimination
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2011, 05:56 AM
 
3,686 posts, read 4,053,838 times
Reputation: 1672
and remember people...the world can thank Gay Americans for the AIDS epidemic....and why is that?..because gays think with their gonads first, last and always. Anyone who truly believes that gays, for the most part, are functioning in this society just like loving couples have bought into nonsense.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2011, 06:09 AM
 
324 posts, read 90,983 times
Reputation: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
Oh for Pete's sake, I'm just trying to get my mind around who would be the husband and who the wife in a same sex marriage and you throw in POLYGAMY!!!!.....

Now who's the husband and who the wives, or wife and husbands.

"Hi, my name is Ted, I'd like you to meet my wives Steve, Carl and Eric.."

"Hi, I'm Sonia, and this is Bree and Rachel, we'd like you to meet our husband Jessica"

And this isn't even dealing with a mixed sex multiple marriage.

A polygamous same sex marriage is about as bizarre as folks petitioning for the right to marry their horse. And that's one issue it wouldn't be hard to be "On the fence" about. I tell ya, it's just too much confusion...
You are exactly right. The gay's have been the popular group to support, but the hypocrisy of the left is amazing.

Smash, one of the most die hard liberals on this site, admitted in a post about gay marriage that he is against incest because "they can produce deformed kids". I could probably search and link that quote, but I actually don't care enough to spend the time.

Hey Smash, so a brother and sister are penalized in your little world of equal rights simply because they may have children??

What about a brother and a sister who are sterile?

Ok, if the issue is deformed kids, what about parents who are both carriers of a gene that is guaranteed to produce a deformed child (cystic fibrosis for example)??

The fact is marriage was between one man and one woman because goverment wanted to "endorse" this family concept, where the union of 2 people who can procreate would be the pillar of society. Male sexual organs are biologically designed to complement female sexual organs for a reason.

I can see how those in homosexual relationships want the same rights (tax benefits, death benefits, etc) and wonder if there was a way they could have gotten those rights without having to alter the definition of marriage.

I just can't wait until the gays start demanding different organizations marry them. I know for many of them this fight was about the marriage benefits, but for others this is nothing more than an avenue to flaunt their way of life. They won't be happy being able to be married, they will demand to be married by all of the religious organizations, and sue until they have their way.

Way to go NY Although the rest of the states are surely not far behind.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2011, 07:37 AM
 
9,343 posts, read 15,638,496 times
Reputation: 4196
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
Whats REALLy going to be interesting is polygamy going to court.
The ban against polygamy was and remains a violation of the separation of church and state as it codifies Christian religious law into secular law. (While they do not require polygamy, neither Judaism nor Islam prohibit polygamy.)

If same-sex marriage is not permitted by the state, then, yes, the courts, most likely, unless the state gov't acts first, will overturn the ban on polygany.

And, then, there is polyandry, which, as far as I know, is prohibited by Judaism, Islam and Christianity.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2011, 07:47 AM
 
619 posts, read 502,235 times
Reputation: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABACAB View Post
The fact is marriage was between one man and one woman because goverment wanted to "endorse" this family concept, where the union of 2 people who can procreate would be the pillar of society.
If government was intending on endorsing procreation, I think it would have endorsed polygamy. A man could impregnate multiple partners simultaneously in such an "arrangement." Better for procreation, no? And more future taxpayers, too!

Come to think of it, the goal of procreation is served best by the Maury Povich "baby-daddy" model of baby makin', lol
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2011, 12:23 PM
 
Location: Long Island (chief in S Farmingdale)
13,658 posts, read 6,927,511 times
Reputation: 2378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
and remember people...the world can thank Gay Americans for the AIDS epidemic....and why is that?..because gays think with their gonads first, last and always. Anyone who truly believes that gays, for the most part, are functioning in this society just like loving couples have bought into nonsense.
Gay relationships are just the same as relationships you or I have. The whole thing that they are different is just absurd.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top