U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 08:23 PM

752 posts, read 750,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisel17 View Post
One angle not yet mentioned is the the state senate is republican controlled. The damn RINO's brought the issue to the floor for a vote - never would have happened if Sheldon Silver was in control and the Dems were against the idea. I am glad the republican Long Island state senators stayed true to their roots and voted against it.

Civil unions aren't enough? Since when did 5% of the people get to impose their will on the majority? This would never have passed if it was on the ballot for the citizens to vote on.

Too bad we New Yorkers will not be able to have a vote to overturn this like California residents did. If I am not mistaken, the only way to overturn this once it is signed is by a state constitutional amendment.
Why even put that kind of effort into it? who the hell cares? So Henry wants to marry Hank...so what....It makes no difference in my life. I am married (to a woman) and have a son, I go to work, come home spend time with my family and the only time this Gay marriage thing bothers me is when its on the news every night. I am sick and tired of hearing about it.

There are tornadoes in NJ, tsunami's in Japan, half the globe is starving, there is war and corruption, Economic depression, homeless, jobless, polar ice caps are melting, the ozone is gone and the weather is going nuts,
What are we worried about?
Gay marriage and what Moderator cut: language removed dress the princess wore to her wedding in england...
It's a mad world.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 06-28-2011 at 10:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2011, 08:27 PM

293 posts, read 408,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Because it's not the norm and thus children need to be educated about it. It'd like to think that we as a society can look past it but humans are a prejudicial lot by nature.
So since it is not the norm, children should be educated about it? Beasteality, bisexualism, trisexulism and on and on...How much education on these topics does a 5-6 year old need? The point being, a young child does not need education on sexual social norms. General tolerance and being kind to others is a good lesson. It is all inclusive. We don't need to qualify which groups these attributes apply to.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:02 AM

1,748 posts, read 1,176,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kajimenez View Post
So since it is not the norm, children should be educated about it? Beasteality, bisexualism, trisexulism and on and on...How much education on these topics does a 5-6 year old need? The point being, a young child does not need education on sexual social norms. General tolerance and being kind to others is a good lesson. It is all inclusive. We don't need to qualify which groups these attributes apply to.
Homosexuality is a naturally occurring phenomenon among humans and animals. I realize that religion may not think so (although even the Catholics acknowledge that it's not a sin to be homosexual, just to act on those impulses) but that opinion has no place in the law. These people are either attracted to the opposite sex or they are not, from birth.

Children should be educated about this distinction so that they are less apt to form prejudices later in life and become someone like Gpsma, who got his schoolyard education from ignorant family members.

Beastiality, pedophilia, etc. are not inborn but learned behaviors, usually as a result of abuse and psychological illness. We would no more teach children about them then we would a preference for big boobs or butts

Old 06-27-2011, 09:09 AM

1,771 posts, read 1,891,824 times
Quote:
big boobs
I am for this!

Old 06-27-2011, 09:43 AM

3,686 posts, read 4,071,329 times
Quote:
Homosexuality is a naturally occurring deviation among humans and animals.
corrected it for you

Old 06-27-2011, 02:38 PM

8,681 posts, read 6,994,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisel17 View Post
This would never have passed if it was on the ballot for the citizens to vote on.

Too bad we New Yorkers will not be able to have a vote to overturn this like California residents did.
Since when is it YOUR place to decide whether someone else's marriage is legitimate?

How about everyone vote on whether YOU can get married?

Old 06-27-2011, 02:44 PM

1,917 posts, read 2,784,874 times
The divorce lawyers just doubled their perspective clients. Good for them.

Old 06-27-2011, 03:07 PM

15,544 posts, read 15,321,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
The divorce lawyers just doubled their perspective clients. Good for them.
Best in thread!!!!

Old 06-27-2011, 03:31 PM

2,846 posts, read 5,892,322 times
I really hope I get an invite to Crooks and Gpsma's wedding!!!

Old 06-27-2011, 03:37 PM

9,343 posts, read 15,688,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
I really hope I get an invite to Crooks and Gpsma's wedding!!!
I betcha all of Rocky Point, as well as the part of Sound Beach that has a "Rocky Point, NY 11778" mailing address, will turn out for the festivities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island