Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 09:01 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,104,286 times

Advertisements

Zeldin and Lavalle fail. Gay marriage bill passes.
http://articles.nydailynews.com/2011...te-republicans

Last edited by Crookhaven; 06-24-2011 at 09:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 09:18 PM

752 posts, read 1,457,536 times
THANK GOD...now maybe I wont have to hear about it anymore on the news. If it didnt pass then they would have just kept trying and it would be in the damned news every day for the rest of our lives. it's insignificant and unimportant.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:04 PM

848 posts, read 1,433,746 times
A no-brainer.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:05 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,567,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minesbroken View Post
THANK GOD...now maybe I wont have to hear about it anymore on the news. If it didnt pass then they would have just kept trying and it would be in the damned news every day for the rest of our lives. it's insignificant and unimportant.
It really depends upon who you ask.

Read up on David Parker in Lexington, MA. The schools introduced homosexual relations to children in Kindergarden. When Mr. & Mrs. Parker asked to have their child opted out, they were told they couldn't. Meanwhile parents in many districts have the choice as to whether or not they want to opt their children out of puberty education.

I believe my gay friends in a loving relationship should be able to commit to one another. I also believe that parents should be the ones who decide at what age homosexual-oriented materials should be introduced to my child. It's a mutual respect for both parties concerned. We have several gay couple friends with adopted children. We never made a big deal over 'Bob and Bob'; my children saw that their friend had two parents who were just as devoted as a Mom and Dad couple. We have a teacher at our local elementary who has two of those stick figure daddies on the rear window of his car. Kids pick up on these things when they are mature enough to realize something is different. The ice-breaker around my house came after an evening out at a catered party, "Which bathroom do they take Lulabelle into if they are both boy daddies?"

Hopefully this will mean a financial gain to caterers and all wedding-related industries. Heck, even the lawyers stand to gain if/when a gay divorce rears it's head!

Old 06-24-2011, 10:07 PM

203 posts, read 600,519 times
Default Yet another reason....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post

Yet another reason I'm glad I moved....

Old 06-24-2011, 10:09 PM

13,382 posts, read 7,696,421 times
There is no such thing as "gay marriage". Government has no authority to define what "marriage" is.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:18 PM

752 posts, read 1,457,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post

Read up on David Parker in Lexington, MA. The schools introduced homosexual relations to children in Kindergarden. When Mr. & Mrs. Parker asked to have their child opted out, they were told they couldn't. Meanwhile parents in many districts have the choice as to whether or not they want to opt their children out of puberty education.

I believe my gay friends in a loving relationship should be able to commit to one another. I also believe that parents should be the ones who decide at what age homosexual-oriented materials should be introduced to my child. It's a mutual respect for both parties concerned. We have several gay couple friends with adopted children. We never made a big deal over 'Bob and Bob'; my children saw that their friend had two parents who were just as devoted as a Mom and Dad couple. We have a teacher at our local elementary who has two of those stick figure daddies on the rear window of his car. Kids pick up on these things when they are mature enough to realize something is different. The ice-breaker around my house came after an evening out at a catered party, "Which bathroom do they take Lulabelle into if they are both boy daddies?"

Hopefully this will mean a financial gain to caterers and all wedding-related industries. Heck, even the lawyers stand to gain if/when a gay divorce rears it's head!
I don't think schools should be introducing any kind of "relations" to kindergartners. I don't think sexuality has anything to do with school.
I can see where you would want to teach kids about the "plumbing" and where children come from but sexuality? has no place in school.
I don't run around shouting I'm heterosexual.. I'm Heterosexual... I don't know why gay people feel the need to shout it from the rooftops...
I don't care and don't think it's necessary.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:23 PM

22,107 posts, read 19,318,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post

No, the school did not introduce homosexual relations into Kindergarden, it was a kids book telling how families were all different (also mentioning things about some being raised by grandparents, interracial couples, etc), that is actually what the book in question was about and Parker objected.

Putting that aside, glad to see this pass, a sad display by Long Island Senators, but fortunately it didn't come down to them.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:32 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,493,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUMike View Post
There is no such thing as "gay marriage". Government has no authority to define what "marriage" is.
They have the right to define what constitutes a legally binding marriage under state law. Whatever you want to call what happens when you look up at the sky and mumble is up to you.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:34 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,493,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minesbroken View Post
I don't think schools should be introducing any kind of "relations" to kindergartners. I don't think sexuality has anything to do with school.
I can see where you would want to teach kids about the "plumbing" and where children come from but sexuality? has no place in school.
I don't run around shouting I'm heterosexual.. I'm Heterosexual... I don't know why gay people feel the need to shout it from the rooftops...
I don't care and don't think it's necessary.
Because it's not the norm and thus children need to be educated about it. It'd like to think that we as a society can look past it but humans are a prejudicial lot by nature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island