U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-29-2011, 05:37 PM
 
19 posts, read 12,291 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
I understand perfectly! Many years ago, I lived in Jackson Hts/E. Elmhurst; the area has changed dramatically over the years and the congestion has gotten much worse (depending on what you're used to of course).

As far as neighborhoods, once you've established an interest (also based on affordability), you might want to explore the areas yourself; IMHO we all have different ideas of what's acceptable or desireable so wouldn't it be best to see for yourself? On weekends you could talk to potential neighbors and hear what they have to say (and also to see if you'd want them as neighbors), at night you can see what's going on (or not) and when school lets out, you see how many kids and what ages live in the area. Just an idea
I am in Elmhurst/ Maspeth by where the old Elmhurst Gas Tanks used to stand.
Not crowded as E. Elmhurst but things are getting crowded, new schools, a newer High School being built near another older school..lol
Rumors of a Homeless Shelter but was stopped..
Anyway its time for us to go. Lived here all my life and it was very nice but it is my kids turn to have that same experience as my parents did for me.

On another note I have been in the Garden City, Westbury/ Salisbury, East Meadow area everyday for the last three weeks( Job Training ).
House Hunting (thanks Trulia App )and just driving through neighborhoods on my extended 1 1/2 hr lunch.
Wife takes the kid to swimming lessons in Westbury.
Seen a few houses in N Bellmore.

But your right I need to see more and I will
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-29-2011, 05:57 PM
 
19 posts, read 12,291 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
I just wanted to add that graduation rates are an excellent way of measuring the quality of a School District. Here is a list of all the Long Island School Districts and their graduation rates;
Graduation rate for LI school districts

(It is ideal to go with the 4-year graduation rate column)
Very good thanks for this info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2011, 06:08 PM
 
19 posts, read 12,291 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
Perhaps you should rent for a while before buying.
Yes we have explored that as a possibility but it is something we hope not to do.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2011, 06:32 PM
 
3,662 posts, read 3,178,764 times
Reputation: 2808
While you are looking at North Bellmore, you might as well check out neighboring North Merrick. I would skip Mineola. You can do better.

When investigating the prospective neighborhoods:

Check out the local parks and pools. Some are for residents of the Town of Hempstead, or the Town of North Hempstead, some are limited to residents of a particular village. They generally offer activities for kids, including arts and crafs, swimming lessons, a summer recreational program or camp, outdoor concerts. There are 2 indoor pools you could go to all year round (Eisenhower Park and Echo Park). There is also an ice skaking rink on Newbridge road which would be fun for kids.

Also check out the libraries since they also offer adult and children's acitivites. Most have a children's summer reading program and others have children's shows or "game night" for kids, as well as concerts, films, and book clubs for adults. Depending on where you end up living, you may actually have to pay for a library card.

I think at this point, most of the areas that you are interested in have school districts with full day kindergarten, but you should verify it. Will you need before school or after school care?

Oceanside is a fairly large school district. Some of the elementary schools are perceived as "better" than others. I think they are all pretty decent, but you mentioned something about buying a house that will "hold value." The specific elementary school may affect resale. Rockville Centre is a good school district and its reputation seems to be steady. Whereas, Oceanside school district still has a decent reputation, but residents complain that it is not as good as it used to be, for whatever reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2011, 01:21 AM
 
Location: Long Island
196 posts, read 277,258 times
Reputation: 60
come to lindenhurst South Shore,,great Schools,, Train nearby and good bang for your buck,,,should have $$ left over even if U buy on the Water!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2011, 12:21 PM
 
19 posts, read 12,291 times
Reputation: 10
UPDATE..........................

Ok so I have been away from the forums doing the footwork.
I have visited the places I am interested in and have also seen some homes too.
Some places are no longer contending.

So basically I am down to Bellmore and Massapequa.

But I am interested to see what people here have to say about Massapequa.

I will admit that I haven't been to Pequa yet but I will as soon as I gather some info.
I like the variety of houses and their layouts that are available.
Good SD.
Can anyone share their opinions on the places I should zero in on?
I have looked online at houses in Massapequa Park and I like what I am seeing.
Where else in Pequa should I consider.

Elke if you read this throw me a line! Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2011, 10:08 AM
 
Location: Nassau, Long Island, NY
15,856 posts, read 17,126,862 times
Reputation: 6523
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonsHome View Post
UPDATE..........................

Ok so I have been away from the forums doing the footwork.
I have visited the places I am interested in and have also seen some homes too.
Some places are no longer contending.

So basically I am down to Bellmore and Massapequa.

But I am interested to see what people here have to say about Massapequa.

I will admit that I haven't been to Pequa yet but I will as soon as I gather some info.
I like the variety of houses and their layouts that are available.
Good SD.
Can anyone share their opinions on the places I should zero in on?
I have looked online at houses in Massapequa Park and I like what I am seeing.
Where else in Pequa should I consider.

Elke if you read this throw me a line! Thanks
Avoid Massapequa houses located in the very low-rated Amityville School District.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2011, 11:42 AM
 
9,343 posts, read 16,959,143 times
Reputation: 4224
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Avoid Massapequa houses located in the very low-rated Amityville School District.
Those "Massapequa" houses in the Amityville Union Free School District are in East Massapequa ("Massapequa, NY 11758" mailing address), not in Massapequa.

The western two-thirds of East Massapequa are in the Massapequa Union Free School District.

Massapequa is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where the majority of the places with the community name as part of their mailing address (5,128 acres)are not in the community (2,345 acres).

A map of the Hamlet of Massapequa in the Town of Oyster Bay, Nassau County:


Places that have a "Massapequa, NY 11758" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Massapequa are in the Hamlet of East Massapequa, the Hamlet of North Massapequa and the Hamlet of Plainedge; and, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of Massapequa with a "Massapequa Park, NY 11762" mailing address.

Complicating the matter even more, the "Massapequa, NY 11758" ZIP Code postal zone is a bifurcated postal zone, with two noncontiguous areas on the eastside and westside of the "Massapequa Park, NY 11762" ZIP Code postal zone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2011, 02:40 PM
 
19 posts, read 12,291 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Those "Massapequa" houses in the Amityville Union Free School District are in East Massapequa ("Massapequa, NY 11758" mailing address), not in Massapequa.

The western two-thirds of East Massapequa are in the Massapequa Union Free School District.

Massapequa is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where the majority of the places with the community name as part of their mailing address (5,128 acres)are not in the community (2,345 acres).

A map of the Hamlet of Massapequa in the Town of Oyster Bay, Nassau County:


Places that have a "Massapequa, NY 11758" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Massapequa are in the Hamlet of East Massapequa, the Hamlet of North Massapequa and the Hamlet of Plainedge; and, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of Massapequa with a "Massapequa Park, NY 11762" mailing address.

Complicating the matter even more, the "Massapequa, NY 11758" ZIP Code postal zone is a bifurcated postal zone, with two noncontiguous areas on the eastside and westside of the "Massapequa Park, NY 11762" ZIP Code postal zone.
The houses I've looked at are in the massapequa SD according to Census address look up you provided. Mainly looking in Massapequa park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2011, 02:45 PM
 
19 posts, read 12,291 times
Reputation: 10
I went out to MP and it was very nice. Some of the houses were in MP near the preserve and others were by sunrise but I never saw sunrise. The blocks some of these house were like a maze.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:25 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top