U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-05-2011, 04:17 PM
 
Location: Nassau, Long Island, NY
15,783 posts, read 16,746,836 times
Reputation: 6459

Advertisements

I found this on Yahoo!:

The 15 Worst Housing Markets For The Next Five Years - Yahoo! Finance

As per the article above, Nassau is the third worst housing market for the next 5 years, right behind Miami (#1) and Atlantic City, NJ (#2):

Quote:
3. Nassau County, New York

Cumulative growth from 2005 to 2011: -27.3%

Annualized growth from 2011 to 2016: 0.7%

Trough: Q4 2011
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-05-2011, 04:58 PM
 
Location: Hempstead
330 posts, read 211,496 times
Reputation: 277
Who knew Yahoo Finance could see all the way to 2016?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2011, 05:11 PM
gag
 
Location: Lindy 1/2, Chicago 1/2
658 posts, read 673,627 times
Reputation: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I found this on Yahoo!:

The 15 Worst Housing Markets For The Next Five Years - Yahoo! Finance

As per the article above, Nassau is the third worst housing market for the next 5 years, right behind Miami (#1) and Atlantic City, NJ (#2):
Thanks for the post, but it's tough to understand why. I mean with being within 1 hour commute to NYC at most, any rise in employment over the next 5 years has to include NYC, right? If not, it's a doomsday scenario for the economic forecast if NYC doesn't see employment pick-up in the next 5 years. I'm assuming improving NYC employment helps Nassau housing demand recover. JM2C

Last edited by gag; 07-05-2011 at 05:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2011, 05:17 PM
 
Location: Stony Brook
1,202 posts, read 1,559,067 times
Reputation: 427
The sky is falling!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2011, 05:28 PM
 
Location: Nassau, Long Island, NY
15,783 posts, read 16,746,836 times
Reputation: 6459
I found it odd to see Nassau County on this type of list along with many of the usual suspects like Miami.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2011, 05:57 PM
 
41 posts, read 30,393 times
Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveoliva View Post
Who knew Yahoo Finance could see all the way to 2016?

This study is not by Yahoo - - it is by FISERV-CASE SCHILLER. That is one of the most reputable housing authorities around.....certainly a notch or two more reputable than the NAR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2011, 09:40 PM
 
7,658 posts, read 10,944,859 times
Reputation: 1221
As much as I love to bust on Nassau I gotta call BS on this one.

For Suffolk (and Queens) to be riding shotgun (and omitted) seems to be indicative of stupid.

Crooks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2011, 08:06 AM
 
7,281 posts, read 7,701,034 times
Reputation: 2869
It remains to be seen. You have a lot of people approaching retirement age in Nassau. The guys working on Wall St buy houses in Garden City and Manhasset, not Levittown. Have you seen what monthly payments look like on a 400K house when you factor in taxes and PMI? It's enough to make anyone not making north of 150K reconsider buying...most families on LI are making under 100K combined.


Don't you think there are a lot of people who will be looking to get out in the next 10 years? People whose house are paid off and want to move to Florida and not pay $9K a year in property taxes, let's say? Maybe that's what they're factoring in.

Just for S&G's I ran a search on properties in a few Nassau towns. It is amazing how little updating there is in so many houses in Nassau with asking prices between 400 and 500K.

Last edited by dman72; 07-06-2011 at 08:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2011, 09:28 AM
 
324 posts, read 359,283 times
Reputation: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
It remains to be seen. You have a lot of people approaching retirement age in Nassau. The guys working on Wall St buy houses in Garden City and Manhasset, not Levittown. Have you seen what monthly payments look like on a 400K house when you factor in taxes and PMI? It's enough to make anyone not making north of 150K reconsider buying...most families on LI are making under 100K combined.


Don't you think there are a lot of people who will be looking to get out in the next 10 years? People whose house are paid off and want to move to Florida and not pay $9K a year in property taxes, let's say? Maybe that's what they're factoring in.

Just for S&G's I ran a search on properties in a few Nassau towns. It is amazing how little updating there is in so many houses in Nassau with asking prices between 400 and 500K.

All of this is spot on......the big Wall Street guys are buying in the Gold Coast (Great Neck, Manhasset, Port Washington, etc.) and the Hamptons.....not Levittown or East Meadow or those other towns in Nassau....
Again, why would a young couple want to pay 400K for a house when it is 50 years old with no updates, when they could move to the Carolinas or Florida which has no income tax and the property taxes are half of what they are here.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2011, 09:36 AM
 
7,281 posts, read 7,701,034 times
Reputation: 2869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logical95 View Post
All of this is spot on......the big Wall Street guys are buying in the Gold Coast (Great Neck, Manhasset, Port Washington, etc.) and the Hamptons.....not Levittown or East Meadow or those other towns in Nassau....
Again, why would a young couple want to pay 400K for a house when it is 50 years old with no updates, when they could move to the Carolinas or Florida which has no income tax and the property taxes are half of what they are here.....
Well, that jobs thing is a biggie.

A young couple looking at $3500 a month house (pinciple, interest, pmi, taxes) that hasn't been updated since 1970 as opposed to a $2000 a month rental is probably going to opt for the $2,000 a month rental. The rental market on LI is strong and getting stronger despite low interest rates. That pesky PMI and property taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top